kgingerich's new home

What you will find at Lowes is something like this and this. Both say a max of 16 ga, though, so probably too small for what you need. I picked up the first one just for testing my window/door wires, and it works ok....not enough connections, though, I'd have to buy about 3 more just for the windows and doors.

kgingerich,

Man, nice house. GREAT job on the wiring, I'm jealous and can't wait to terminate my "mess".

I found a previous posting on speaker distribution with a Niles Audio FG00984 which looks like it fits into the Channel Vision canister.
Niles Audio FG00984 on Amazon

Also, do you have the model number for the terminations that you are using for coax? Looks like a great solution.

Thanks!

I think kgingerich's and DJK's house should fight. That'd be a good matchup. You both have ridiculously big and beautiful houses. I'm too ashamed now to post pictures of my 3200 sq ft hovel. <_<

Don't get me wrong, the houses are beautiful, but the REAL beauty is in the configuration of the home automation closet. A house with 10 wires and a clever/elegant solution beats out a 100 wire cludge anyday.

I think that your postings put you right up there, and I've certainly learned from your experiences <_<, so keep posting!

Don't get me wrong, the houses are beautiful, but the REAL beauty is in the configuration of the home automation closet. A house with 10 wires and a clever/elegant solution beats out a 100 wire cludge anyday.

I think that your postings put you right up there, and I've certainly learned from your experiences <_<, so keep posting!

Heh...well, if you judge beauty on wiring rooms, then you probably won't see me post again. :eek: I don't have a spectacular record for "finishing" things.

Probably in the next 2 monthes, when it finally becomes pertinent, I'll post my HELP thread for beginning to figure out how to sort out that mess. I'm certain there are many philosophies when it comes to the organization, and so far getting all those different inputs hasn't led me wrong.

Also, do you have the model number for the terminations that you are using for coax? Looks like a great solution.
I used these from automated outlet and replaced the stock 5-1000Mhz F connectors with these 3ghz high frequency connectors for use with satellite systems. Then I removed the plastic mounts from terminators and screwed them down to a 1/2" plywood backer I mounted into the enclosure.

I don't have a spectacular record for "finishing" things.

LOL one of the reasons I posted here is so it'll remind me to keep going and finish it instead of doing what I always do... just making it work. If I posted a pic of my current home's wiring closet you'd think I just threw 500 wires into a pile and took a picture.

I used these from automated outlet and replaced the stock 5-1000Mhz F connectors with these 3ghz high frequency connectors for use with satellite systems.

Awww crap....you're kidding me. So I have to be careful even about the CONNECTORS?? Geez, getting the right spec wire was bad enough. Why can't anything ever be simple.... <_<

I just know that somehow I'm going to mess up, and either in my gigabit PC network, or my satellite/cable distribution, I'll have some wrong component that's going to put the whole thing down at a crawl....

Sweet,

Thanks for the heads up on the switch out.

I used these from automated outlet and replaced the stock 5-1000Mhz F connectors with these 3ghz high frequency connectors for use with satellite systems. Then I removed the plastic mounts from terminators and screwed them down to a 1/2" plywood backer I mounted into the enclosure.

I don't have a spectacular record for "finishing" things.

LOL one of the reasons I posted here is so it'll remind me to keep going and finish it instead of doing what I always do... just making it work. If I posted a pic of my current home's wiring closet you'd think I just threw 500 wires into a pile and took a picture.

Very nice Kyle, but you know this, LOL.

Why did you decide to go with the 6.6 CAV as opposed to the CAM? If you dont need video, the CAM gives you the tuner. Just curious.

Thanks!

The CAV offers ABUS zones and video distro (stuff I don't need) but also some stuff I do need. Paul from SBSmarthomes had this to say "The CAV6.6 provides source loop connections making it easy to daisy chain multiple controllers. If you choose two CAM controllers, you'll need to use "Y" cables to patch your source gear between the CAMs. Something else that's beneficial with the CAV6.6 is the audio paging input which allows you to take audio from an external device and have it interrupt the audio playing in the zones. I use this often in installs with automation controllers from HAI & Elk that have speech capabilities allowing them to "speak" announcements throughout the house. Most automation software also has speech capability using text-to-speech (TTS). "

The price difference was minimal so I went with the CAV's.

Kyle
Kyle, I didnt realize the CAM didnt alllow audio interupts for voice announcemen. i need to look into that before I make a final decision. thanks!

The CAV offers ABUS zones and video distro (stuff I don't need) but also some stuff I do need. Paul from SBSmarthomes had this to say "The CAV6.6 provides source loop connections making it easy to daisy chain multiple controllers. If you choose two CAM controllers, you'll need to use "Y" cables to patch your source gear between the CAMs. Something else that's beneficial with the CAV6.6 is the audio paging input which allows you to take audio from an external device and have it interrupt the audio playing in the zones. I use this often in installs with automation controllers from HAI & Elk that have speech capabilities allowing them to "speak" announcements throughout the house. Most automation software also has speech capability using text-to-speech (TTS). "

The price difference was minimal so I went with the CAV's.

Kyle

Paul or Kyle, i am in the last stages of trying to get paging to work thru my cav6.6. trying to use output from my PC sound card as TTS input to the paging connection on the cav6.6. the cav6.6 recognizes the when the TTS signal is sent, but all the zones just cycle on/off quickly resulting in garbled page. can u elaborate a bit how u have successfully set up autosensing paging to the cav6.6?

thanks.

Paul or Kyle, i am in the last stages of trying to get paging to work thru my cav6.6. trying to use output from my PC sound card as TTS input to the paging connection on the cav6.6. the cav6.6 recognizes the when the TTS signal is sent, but all the zones just cycle on/off quickly resulting in garbled page. can u elaborate a bit how u have successfully set up autosensing paging to the cav6.6?

thanks.

I'm wondering this myself as I haven't gotten to this point yet but I'd like to begin testing it.

Hopefully Paul will have an answer.
Kyle

I believe that you need to put a pause in, before the speech that you want to hear. This will give the CAV time to turn on the zones, so that the audio can be heard. Paul might be able to elaborate more.

thanks.

I'm wondering this myself as I haven't gotten to this point yet but I'd like to begin testing it.

Kyle

There isn't a simple answer to this question because the solution is different depending on which systems are involved.

The Russound CAV6.6 takes about a half second to activate the audio paging. This delay is required because zones that are turned off (but configured to accept paging) need a short amount of time to be powered on. The result is that the first word in an announcement may not be heard.

If you’re using a security/automation controller like the Elk M1 or OmniPro, you can simply add a short tone at the beginning of each announcement to kick-start the CAV’s paging circuit (think of the tone you hear on an airplane before an announcement). If you get the duration correct, you won’t hear the tone… just the announcement.

If you’re using a software based automation package with TTS capabilities (HomeSeer, Cinemar MLSpeak, etc.), you can use a WAV tone as well or simply insert something random at the start of each line of speech.

Example: Speaking “The time is 10:07am” through the CAV’s paging input will likely result in you only hearing “time is 10:07am”.

If you instead have TTS speak “Hi, The time is 10:07am”, you’ll likely hear “The time is 10:07am” like you wanted. If by chance the paging is already on, this still sounds natural compared to starting the sentence with something arbitrary like “dog” which would accomplish the same thing but not be very appropriate if you did hear it.

To take this to the next level, the CAV6.6 paging input will also turn off quickly (~.7sec). This doesn’t cause too much of an issue with simple announcements from the Elk or Omni, but when trying to duplicate pauses in natural speech with TTS it can really make a mess. A good example would be having TTS speak weather or news events which may comprise of several sentences or more. The CAV’s paging input will often turn off at the end of a sentence and then take another .5sec to turn back on… the result can be very unsatisfactory!

My work-around for this is to use 12v to trigger the paging input instead of the audio sensing. Automation controllers like the Elk & Omni can close a relay when they are speaking using automation rules which can in turn feed 12v (using a power supply) to the CAV6.6 paging input. For example with the Elk M1 you can create an automation rule that says “Whenever audio amp turns on, then turn output X on” and then “Whenever audio amp turns off, then turn output X off”.

For systems using TTS you can do something similar… For instance with HomeSeer, they have a plug-in called “IsSpeaking” that will allow events to be triggered when TTS is speaking or idle. Again, you’d need some type of relay output (M1, Omni, ADI Ocelot w/I/O, Global Cache, etc.) that HomeSeer can control to trigger a 12v signal to the CAV’s paging.

One last bit of advice if you’re planning to use audio sensing only (no 12v trigger). The paging input has a sensitivity adjustment marked “gain” on the back of the CAV6.6. Try adjusting this for best results.

Bottom line is that this will take some trial end error to get working with most setups. Hopefully the information I've provided can help you get started in the right direction?

Cheers,
Paul

thanks.

Kyle

There isn't a simple answer to this question because the solution is different depending on which systems are involved.

The Russound CAV6.6 takes about a half second to activate the audio paging. This delay is required because zones that are turned off (but configured to accept paging) need a short amount of time to be powered on. The result is that the first word in an announcement may not be heard.

If you’re using a security/automation controller like the Elk M1 or OmniPro, you can simply add a short tone at the beginning of each announcement to kick-start the CAV’s paging circuit (think of the tone you hear on an airplane before an announcement). If you get the duration correct, you won’t hear the tone… just the announcement.

If you’re using a software based automation package with TTS capabilities (HomeSeer, Cinemar MLSpeak, etc.), you can use a WAV tone as well or simply insert something random at the start of each line of speech.

Example: Speaking “The time is 10:07am” through the CAV’s paging input will likely result in you only hearing “time is 10:07am”.

If you instead have TTS speak “Hi, The time is 10:07am”, you’ll likely hear “The time is 10:07am” like you wanted. If by chance the paging is already on, this still sounds natural compared to starting the sentence with something arbitrary like “dog” which would accomplish the same thing but not be very appropriate if you did hear it.

To take this to the next level, the CAV6.6 paging input will also turn off quickly (~.7sec). This doesn’t cause too much of an issue with simple announcements from the Elk or Omni, but when trying to duplicate pauses in natural speech with TTS it can really make a mess. A good example would be having TTS speak weather or news events which may comprise of several sentences or more. The CAV’s paging input will often turn off at the end of a sentence and then take another .5sec to turn back on… the result can be very unsatisfactory!

My work-around for this is to use 12v to trigger the paging input instead of the audio sensing. Automation controllers like the Elk & Omni can close a relay when they are speaking using automation rules which can in turn feed 12v (using a power supply) to the CAV6.6 paging input. For example with the Elk M1 you can create an automation rule that says “Whenever audio amp turns on, then turn output X on” and then “Whenever audio amp turns off, then turn output X off”.

For systems using TTS you can do something similar… For instance with HomeSeer, they have a plug-in called “IsSpeaking” that will allow events to be triggered when TTS is speaking or idle. Again, you’d need some type of relay output (M1, Omni, ADI Ocelot w/I/O, Global Cache, etc.) that HomeSeer can control to trigger a 12v signal to the CAV’s paging.

One last bit of advice if you’re planning to use audio sensing only (no 12v trigger). The paging input has a sensitivity adjustment marked “gain” on the back of the CAV6.6. Try adjusting this for best results.

Bottom line is that this will take some trial end error to get working with most setups. Hopefully the information I've provided can help you get started in the right direction?

Cheers,
Paul
paul, thanks for the guidance. right now i am using a TTS wav triggered from CQC that i am sending to the paging input of the cav6.6 with the hope of having the autosensing work. i am able to get the TTS wav and the test wav from windows to properly play on a set of auxilary speakers, so i know the output is being generated. however, when i direct that same output to the paging input of the cav6.6, things don't work so well. the ouput volume on pc audio output is set to max volume and i have tried the above with the the cav6.6 gain at both ends of the spectrum...all the way up and all the way down. no joy...no sound from cav controlled speakers. on a lark, since only one side of the audio signal can be sent to the cav6.6 paging audio input, i directed the other side to the 12v trigger (probably not a good idea, but frustration led to a desparate attempt) this had a somewhat positive result...the 1/2 of the audio acted as a trigger and some sound came out of speakers. having the cav6.6 gain all the way up seems to work best, but the sound from the speakers cuts in and out as the volume from the audio goes up and down. bottomline: seems that i need to use a 12v trigger to get the system to work properly.

i know that cqc has a driver to control a Global Cache, maybe that's the way to go. i will post on cqc as well, but any cqc'ers have suggestion for generating a 12v trigger from cqc? thanks.

Back