KVM over cat5 questions...

dbinaz

What do I need for this? I need the actual KVM and then I need to buy an extender? Or is it a combo thing? I looked at several sites, but I can't figure it out exactly.
Also, what are some good ones out there? Would like it to be USB/Video/Serial/Audio if possible. I also don't need 1000ft capability.

Thanks,
Derek

Happy to help, how many computers are you trying to extend? Just one? Or do you have a few connected to a KVM switch? Your USB requirements, is that just keyboard and mouse or do you need to use USB perpherials such as a scanner or webcam? I ask because some extenders will only pass keyboard and mouse, others will extend full USB 1.1 (in some cases USB 2.0).

If you can give me details of exactly what it is you are trying to achieve then I'll happily come up with a solution for you. my e-mail is [email protected] website is www.adder.com

I use the GCE700 KVM extender. (it is branded is IOGear, Aten, Lindsay, and I've seen it under a few other names as well.) It includes the Local unit, Remote unit, and 2 wall wart power supplies. It does not extend audio, serial, and only extends mouse/keyboard functionality of USB.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Most likely just 1 computer.
Yes, USB would be for keyboard/mouse and maybe touchscreen depending on which touchscreen i pick up, could be serial as well.

Thanks,
Derek

Hello All,

I am looking for KVM over Cat5 extender. Basically-
-Extend VGA (1240x1024)
-Extend serial/PS2 KBoard & Mouse
-Upto 100 feet is sufficent
-Passive (not requiring power) would be preferred
-CHEAP

Would appreciate any help in this regard.

Regards,
Shaurya

Hello All,

I am looking for KVM over Cat5 extender. Basically-
-Extend VGA (1240x1024)
-Extend serial/PS2 KBoard & Mouse
-Upto 100 feet is sufficent
-Passive (not requiring power) would be preferred
-CHEAP

Would appreciate any help in this regard.

Regards,
Shaurya

There are many options out there for KVMs, and I can certainly provide some input, however, most of my input will come from an enterprise setting, and not a home user setting.

One item that I did want to interject is that you get what you pay for. If you are okay with intermittent mouse issues, or poor video quality, then purchase a non-branded switch, and be happy that you didn't spend much money. Otherwise, I would stick with the name brand ones.

We use quite a few Belkin KVMs for our developers (they usually have more than one computer), and we have been very happy with their performance. They do make KVM over Cat5 products too, so you should check them out.

First I would make sure your really need a hardware KVM. Could RDP or VNC provide you an almost free solution?

First I would make sure your really need a hardware KVM. Could RDP or VNC provide you an almost free solution?
Thanks CollinR for your response. I am extending the KV part to a touchscreen monitor so I can't do RDP/VNC unless I put another small pc near the TouchMonitor.

Thanks Sacedog for your response. I would defenitely pay premium to have a stable mouse movement. I however could not afford those enterprise class $200 KVM as well...Will checkout Belkin...

Regards,
Shaurya

Thanks CollinR for your response. I am extending the KV part to a touchscreen monitor so I can't do RDP/VNC unless I put another small pc near the TouchMonitor.

Thanks Sacedog for your response. I would defenitely pay premium to have a stable mouse movement. I however could not afford those enterprise class $200 KVM as well...Will checkout Belkin...

Regards,
Shaurya

I use the Cybex Longviews with very good success....The models vary from strictly KVM to KVM + Audio + Serial + Microphone. You'll see them on E-bay all the time for around $75 to $100 for a set. You'll need the transmitter, receiver, one wall wart (the receiver derives its power via the Cat5) and the transmitter breakout cable, so be sure any auction includes all those bits.

Here's one with no audio: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Cybex-LongView-KVM...VQQcmdZViewItem

Back