Leaving the Net Sooner Than Expected

upstatemike

I just got a bill from Time Warner and my Roadrunner bill just jumped up $15!!!! I was planning to disconnect from the Internet in the Fall anyway but I'm not going to pay $70 a month for access between now and then so it looks like I will be dropping off sooner than expected. I thought the price was too high before but this is just insane! Does anybody else pay that much for a broadband connection?

That definitely doesn't sound right. I will have to check when I get home. One thing that is cool about Time Warner is that they will drop your payments if you call them up and tell them you are thinking about dropping their service, my wife has done this serveral times, so try that as well.

i would suggest calling them and telling them you want to cancel your service & switch to xyz provider that is offering you service for $x less than they pay. tell them you'd rather not switch due to the hassle but it costs too much money if you don't. if they don't bite, call back again and get another CSR.

i normally pay $55/mo for comcast internet service. however, 6 months ago, i told them i was going to switch to direcway and they lowered it to $40 for 6 months. when the 6 month term expired recently, i called again and they offered me 6 months for $19.99 w/ a $40 "setup" fee, which is their current deal for new subs.

i also do this w/ directv. last year, i called & told them i was going to switch to comcast and they GAVE me 2 free directivos if i keep my current package for a year. this year, i did the same but i didn't make out as well. they gave me $10 off per month and all the movie channels free for 3 months.

check out these threads on slickdeals:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=105268
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=140292

Damn, you're an animal :lol:. I'm too 'shy' to do that all the time. Hell, I still haven't gotten my D* $200 rebate due me and haven't called about it yet.

Anyway, I pay $50/mo for DSL 6MB service.

Mike, are you is a DSL service's area? I think you can get DSL for $15-$20 a month in most places if you sign-on for a year.

jrfuda said:
Mike, are you is a DSL service's area? I think you can get DSL for $15-$20 a month in most places if you sign-on for a year.
I have a DSL failover line but it costs more than $20 (but a lot less than $70!). I don't use it as my primary line because I am technically too far from the Central Office to have DSL at all. They actually had to test the loop before they would make an exception and let me get the service. At the time I didn't care if it wasn't perfect because Time Warner was not out here yet and DSL was the only option for broadband.

I'm going unplug Time Warner right now and let my router fail over to the DSL line. If it doesn't cause me any undue grief between now and say Monday, I'll call and cancel Time Warner immediately.

You might able to get cable cheaper than DSL by making a simple phone call, I would definitely try this as well. I will let you know tonight how much I pay for Cable, there is no way it's $70, so maybe it's just a billing error.

electron said:
You might able to get cable cheaper than DSL by making a simple phone call, I would definitely try this as well. I will let you know tonight how much I pay for Cable, there is no way it's $70, so maybe it's just a billing error.
No billing error. I get my Roadrunner on a separate bill from my Cable TV (because Compaq used to pay for Roadrunner). I just called the billing dept. and they told me that my promotion was over and that $70 is the normal price for Roadrunner. I told the lady that was too much for Internet service and that I was going to switch to DSL. Her attitude was basically "whatever, was there anything else I can help you with?"

I'll test the DSL to see how usable it is as my main connection and kill the Time Warner service on Monday.

You need to call customer service, not the billing department, if you want your bill lowered.

OK. I'm on the DSL line now. I'll see how this works for a few days.

I thought Customer Service and Billing were the same thing? Aren't there just 3 departments; Sales, Tech, and Customer Service?

Dang and I thought my $39.99 was high from MediaCom. It pays to have 2 cable providers because they run specials every 6 months so for 3 years I switched every 6 months. Now MediaCom will auto match Knology's offers. Makes life easier.

I just checked with my wife, we pay around $45. My wife usually calls the # on the bill in order to get the bill dropped. Unless you are paying for 5 extra IP addresses or something, I can't imagine why it would be so high. You can get digital cable, roadrunner and digital phone services for $99 from Time Warner.

I was paying $55 so it looks like I was overpaying even when I was getting the "promotional rate". Not sure I want to deal with them anymore even if they do offer me a deal to stay!

DON'T cancel Time Warner! You've been subsidising electron's service. If you drop your service, then e's bill will increase :lol:

Here in Tennessee, I pay $ 42.95 for Comcast, 6mb down.

Back