Leviton QuickPort Decora Plus Insert & Monoprice Keystones

tomas21

Does anyone know how the monoprice keystones fit in the QuickPort Decora Plus Inserts?

I'm trying to find a budget friendly way to wire the outlets throughout our house. I like the QuickPort Decora Plus Inserts which will allow for my Cooper ASPIRE Screwless Wallplates that match the rest of the house.

Monoprice seems to have the best pricing on a variety of different keystones without breaking the bank.

Feedback/input apprecaited.

From my experience even the Leviton keystones don't work that well... The whole system is questionable for anything except cat5/6 keystones. All the other ones I have tried tend to pop out and I often end up supergluing them in (and sometimes they still pop out, eventually). I used them all over my house and my last house and I have a rack mount patch panel with them, and if I ever do it again I am going to get blanks and drill for the connectors...

I have a Superpro panel too and never have any issues with those popping out, so I know it is possible...

The only time I've had issues with them popping out is when there isn't sufficient bend-radius for heavy duty cables like coax; often when you attach them the little clip doesn't fully engage but if you make sure it's all the way in, you should be fine; Leviton jacks are used everywhere.

Honestly your best bet is to just buy one and test it out (and make sure the color matches between all 3 components); that said, unless the manufacturer has their own complete line, most stick with the Leviton generic compatibility.

I've used the Monoprice keystones listed here with the Leviton Quickport. Seems to work okay, haven't had any pop loose. Of course CAT cable is flexible. Like Work said, stiff cable like coax could be an issue.

HTH,
Kevin

I most recently utilized the Monoprice keystones 2,4 & 6 and they are fine.

Historically as above always had issues with RG-6 quad shielded to keystone jack.

In the family room redo I still utilized RG-6 for the OTA, Cable and satellite runs. That said I went to "thin" coaxial cables to the keystone jack and from the keystone jack to the device in question with no degradation in signal that I could tell.

Still though have an issue with HDMI keystone jacks which I first utilized this past year for a couple of short runs.

Pete_c, what issue do you have with the HDMI keystone jacks because I was going to use them in my setup? I was thinking of adding the port saver cable in the wall to help with the bend on the HDMI Keystones from Monoprice.

Two places in the house.

One behind the media center LCD base unit. Here I went with a triple gang insert with two 6 keystone jacks for a variety of connections including the HDMI. You lose a bit of space when it is sunken into the wall even though the gang box side panels are at an angle.

Second one behind the mounted on the wall (high up near the ceiling) LCD TV in the home office using one double gang flush to the wall 6 X 2 keystone jack.

Adding a third set up in the kitchen with a wall flush mounted LCD; in addition to a Rasberry Pi running XBMC.

What is a port saver cable?

I have used the Monoprice - 2891 port saver to reduce the stress on TV connections but figured I could use this in the back of the quickport since the HDMI in the wall making a bend to the keystone may be a challenge.

Reducing the strain on the keystone may help with it and reducing the space needed behind the wallplate.

Thanks tomas21.

Just a quick note...friend recently purchased a condo and the quick sale deal was a 55" LCD. That said he called because he only had one connection to it and he wanted me to have a look to help him a bit with the LCD connections. The LCD was flush mounted and we had to remove it to get to the wiring behind it. Interesting that all the wires just passed through an open hole in the dry wall. The power cable included. Then there was another hole adjacent to the AC duplex plug a few feet away with the power cable coming out of the hole and into the wall plug.

I used the Leviton quickport/decora stuff throughout my house as well as other homes that I have worked on. I have never had an issue with them (RJ45, RJ11, and F-type).

For the RG6, I've found that crimp vs. compression fittings save clearance and help... as do open boxes - but I did a ton of them in my last house with each box containing 3 Cat5e and 3 RG6 (about 28 boxes in total) and once closed up, never had an issue again.

I prefer the compression fittings, simply because they are said to be better and I have the tools for them.... definitely open boxes.

Thanks tomas21.

Just a quick note...friend recently purchased a condo and the quick sale deal was a 55" LCD. That said he called because he only had one connection to it and he wanted me to have a look to help him a bit with the LCD connections. The LCD was flush mounted and we had to remove it to get to the wiring behind it. Interesting that all the wires just passed through an open hole in the dry wall. The power cable included. Then there was another hole adjacent to the AC duplex plug a few feet away with the power cable coming out of the hole and into the wall plug.

Shudders.

For the RG6, I've found that crimp vs. compression fittings save clearance and help... as do open boxes - but I did a ton of them in my last house with each box containing 3 Cat5e and 3 RG6 (about 28 boxes in total) and once closed up, never had an issue again.

I've used right angle compressions before to help this, but an open box or mud ring is a definate plus.

Steren is one of the compression tools I have, does every compression manufacturer and type (BNC/RCA/F, etc.) out there, also not that expensive.

Back