Leviton SMC after drywall

gf5300

The Leviton SMC manual states that the device should be installed before drywall. With correct measurements, is there a reason why it can't be done after drywall? Am I missing something?
I do have one installed (pre-drywall) but I have quickly run out of space as my HA/network has grown.
Thanks.

The only thing i can probably think of it that is that in most cases you have to run an electrical cable to the bottom of the box, to wire in the electrical outlets at the bottom (most of us run out of those too).. it's a little more difficult to do when the drywall is up, but certainly not impossible, especially if it's a 28" or larger box, since you'll be cutting a considerable sized hole in the wall to mount it.
it's also a little more of a headache to get wires into the box post drywall.. again, what i do in this situation is run most of the wires i need before putting the box in (even if drywall is up,) then pulling them through the holes in the top while i'm mounting it, and / or run feeder wires, so i can pull more in the future as needed into the box.. then i keep the feeder tucked somewhere in the box..

other than those things i see no reason why it can't be mounted after drywall.

The Leviton SMC manual states that the device should be installed before drywall. With correct measurements, is there a reason why it can't be done after drywall? Am I missing something?
I do have one installed (pre-drywall) but I have quickly run out of space as my HA/network has grown.
Thanks.

You can install them after drywall without any problem, but like the previous poster said getting wire to it is not as easy, but since you already have a can installed you can install the new one right next to it and just loop the cable through box #1 into box #2

D14

I did both my 28" and 42" in an existing construction house.
Fairly easy to do.

If you want it flush, don't use the fold out tabs on the sides, those are for proper spacing if installing pre drywall.
I eneded up bringing all the cables to the raw opening first, then I bundled them with strips of blue tape into one larger manageable cable, and folded it up inside the wall. I had bundles from both top and bottom.
After I installed the enclosure, it was relatively easy to reach in and get the wires up (or down) into it.
I used the plastic bushings instead of the foam sheet supplied with the enclosure to protect the wires.

Back