Lexus RX300 tune up

pete_c

Guru
Not really related to automation or security.

This post is related to getting an ODBII code of a cylinder #2 misfire on a 2000 RX300 which primarily sits today in a garage and never driven.  SUV has around 100k on it.  Easy to do with proper tools and a bit of patience.

ODBII shows P0302  - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

A few months back mentioned this vehicle and using a fuel / oil add on to maybe clean up the fuel and oil and hopefully get rid of the ODB II code.  That didn't work anyways cuz SUV has not been driven in the last 6 months anyhow. 

Last year replace the rear hatch door struts and put a new battery in the vehicle.  (5 year battery $92 - struts $30)

Will leave cover off and do this in pieces with front cylinders first with one session and back cylinders maybe one at a time.

Hardware purchased:

1 - 6 spark plugs (from Amazon)  ~$30
2 - 6 coils (coil pack from Amazon) ~ $65
==================================
Total here is < $100.
Thinking average for this little project is around $600 including parts (just a guess).

Basically here just replacing the coils and spark plugs.  There is a cover on the engine with 3 allen screws to remove first.

Remove cover:

- remove 3 allen screws
- twist lexus logo and lift cover up

Lexus1.jpg

Spark plugs and coil packs are located here

- cylinders 2,4,6 are in the front
- cylinders 1,3,5 are in the back

Each coil has one allen screw holding it in place and the spark plug is under the coil.

Back three cylinders / coils / spark plugs are a bit difficult to get to.

Lexus2.jpg

An easy way to check the coils is just to swap a good one for a bad one in vivo and listening to the engine or disconnecting the coil in question in vivo.  A youtube video mechanic suggested it is easier and most cost reasonable to change the plugs / coils at  shorter intervals rather than waiting for issues which can lead to more costly fixes.  IE: instead of waiting to change oil (well synthetic nowadays) at 10k or more miles changing the interval to 10 k miles or once a year. 

Update 22nd of April, 2019 - time: 30 minutes

Changed coils for cylinders 2,4,6.  Changed spark plugs for cylinder 2,4,6.

Guessing cylinder #2 coil was bad.  Change to new one got rid of the ODB2 code and automobile is idling way better.

Spark plugs for cylinker 2,4 looked clean.  Spark plug for cylinder 6 was so so but not really bad...little white but no carbon or dark build up.

Changed PCV value and validated that the old one was bad.

Next changing coils / plugs for cylinders 1,3,5.  This will be a bit more difficult to do.

Update 25th of April, 2019

SUV passed emissions testing fine. Noticed though now testing will be every year.  New state rules change?

Update 8th of May, 2019

Looking to start to replace the rear (cylinders 1,3,5) coils and plugs today.  Going slow here now.

Reading about difficulties to do this.  Removing the intake manifold will expose these coils easily and it is only six bolts?

intake manifold.jpg

Will take pictures.  Many folks have tried doing this with the intake manifold on and it is very difficult to get to the coils this way.

Update 9th of May, 2019

There was a bit more to moving the intake manifold up and away so decided to have a mechanic just install the rear 3 plugs and coils next week. 

Yeah, I actually had the same thing happen on the RX300 I had. (I THINK the same cylinder, actually.) Can't remember the year of my car, but around there. Luckily it occurred just as I was leaving my house, because I wasn't going to get far. I don't remember the exact details now as it happened many years ago, but the OBDII did isolate it to one cylinder, so only had to replace one coil. I did it myself after going to the parts store and they did carry it. 

On the emissions "test" at least here, for newer cars they really don't measure emissions. They just check if the ODBII is reporting an error or problem. But the gotcha is, once you reset any ODBII codes, it won't "pass" emissions until after a number of run times without generating any codes.  In other-words, don't get your emissions tested right after resetting ODBII codes or it won't pass. It needs like a week with no codes to pass. 

Yeah the car sits (last 10 years).  It came due for emissions testing and the engine light was on.  They only do ODBII testing here anyhow.

I purchased the 6 plugs and coils from Amazon.  Price wasn't bad at all. 

I have only really started it every few months and have it on a trickle charger.  It is mom's (was dad's) and it still looks new today (no dings, no rust) as she never did drive it much any how.  So far sitting only have replaced battery, changed rear door struts and now the plugs and coils.

Note that this is busy work for me.   I DYI our cars now ...except for major stuff.   That said I have been tinkering with my cars since the 1960's.

The code was a misfire on cylinder #2.  I purchased 6 plugs and coils for it.  Very easy to change front ones which are cylinders 2,4,6.  The back ones can only be changed blindly under the intake manifold (read that this was a willy nilly design by Lexus that stopped after the RX350).

Well looking at the plugs for cylinders 2,4,6 they looked new when I replaced them.  Yesterday I asked the shop to keep the old plugs and coils and those looked new too.

It does have to get tested again next year such that I am good to go once again. Mom (~90) wants to keep the plates updated and wants to keep her drivers license updated.  That said she really hasn't driven the vehicle in months (well only to the post office once or twice). 

Did noticed here that the state automagically opted me out of paper notices then sent a past due notice and charges on the past due stuff.  Pissed me off cuz they did the same with the license stickers here and wife got a ticket for a past due sticker.  The excuse the state  used was that they couldn't print notices.  What a joke that was.  Same thing happened for my drivers license here.  I was driving for 10 years with an expired license and finally one day while boarding a plane the TSA agent noticed that my drivers license was expired.  (when you get old you don't pay attention to this stuff I guess).

Update 15th of June, 2019

Next little project on the Lexus is to change the struts...

Found a mechanic that does side work at his home and he will be installing the struts that I purchase.

Front and Rear are around $200 / pair = $400.

My RX300 is long gone :), and yesterday I said goodbyes to my Infiniti FX35.  :-(  

But before the goodbye, I had to buy a new car, so I went car shopping.  I hadn't purchased a new car in about 8 years, and since then, its just incredible to me how much has changed. Just unbelievable.  Because my new car has so much technology, I have a week or two to learn it myself, then a "technologist" from the dealer will come to our house to spend the day answering questions and helping us complete the technology setup.  Yup things have really changed.

Yes the RX300 is the last car dad purchased before he passed away.  Mom is now around 90 and it mostly sits except now she want's to renew her drivers license so I am taking her for her test on Monday here and had her drive (with me) to the local pharmacy yesterday.  She did OK.

Noticed a bit of oil dripping under the SUV and wondering why.

Personally switched over to BMW here and use one BMW SUV in the winter and one BMW sedan in the summer.   Boring here as they are both the same colors and have the same options (and controls).  Little interaction with the sales person as I knew more about the vehicles than they did.  Just got the extra 5 year / 100k warranty with eacy vehicle. 

Don't drive much these days.

I do enjoy driving and having control of the vehicle but looks like that won't be so in the future.

Back