Looking for a simple answer to a simple question on cellular primary

Iam74Gibson

Hi Folks, I have been searching and researching for an answer to my question so I can make sure I am getting the most reliable solution.

My scenario is not much different that a few I have found, but I have a slightly different twist on it.

Here is what I have.. without having to remember all the model numbers I will be general

Elk M1 gold, wireless Elk 2 way sensors/transmitter, ethernet module, data bus module, siren, keyfobs, etc

I recently completed the install and ready to call Alarm relay and set up an account...

I do not have a POTS (regular) phone line. I DO have DSL internet (live in the country a bit. it is the only option) I do not trust DSL to be my primary.  I have some woods on my property and have a couple of wild game cameras... I recently saw a stranger well deep into my property which worries me, thus getting this monitoring set up has become a priority..

here is the twist...on my hunting lease, one of my game cameras I have cellular capability which I no longer need. it uses an ATT sim. It can send picture to text or email... Would this card work "as-is" for a cellular uplink? if so, what would be the recommended brand/model?

I spoke with alarm relay to ask this question, and they seemed unsure... the card cost me $10 a month as an add on line.

OR, would I be better off not even considering using ATT and go with another , more proprietary solution?  Of course, I want the best value, but don't mind spending a bit more for a quality/reliable uplink.

Thanks in advance...

You should be able to put that SIM (assuming its a mini-sim, about 1" x 3/4") into an HAI C3.   Probably not the best choice in the long run.

:hesaid:  - to use the existing SIM, that's your best option...

Otherwise talk to AlarmRelay about getting an Uplink (brand) cellular device to connect to your M1.  They'll support them and the service is included in their monthly rate of like $21/month or so IIRC.  You gotta pay for the Uplink device and set it up, but they'll handle the cellular activation and monthly cost.

Thanks guys, I will call AlarmRelay tomorrow and see what the bottom line cost will be in each scenario... the only concern I would have with the HAI C3, is any home phone jacks that I could connect to it, also has my DSL running on the line... I assume DSL filters "may" work just like for land line, but maybe not.

FWIW, I treat my HAI C3 as an independent phone line.  Its not connected to the house phone lines (which aren't connected to a telco anyway).  IOW, it only calls out on cellular.  I did connect a  cheap phone from wally mart that I can use to call out if my cell phone dies.

And like W2P said, the Uplink is the better choice at this stage of the game.   All us C3 owners are going to have to go that way in the near future.

I am looking at one of these... http://www.napcosecurity.com/starlinkgsm.html

It uses an ATT sim... and the price is good. $115... If I get one of these, what do I need to carry on my SIM card? DATA? Text? Voice? I currently have it on a shared DATA plan but not sure I need that. Sure would save some cash if I could remove the DATA plan.

AlarmRelay said they are familiar with these cellular devices, and I think it is compatible with the Elk. 

Back