Looking for a simple wall timer.

slipnfall

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to find a simple wall switch timer - similar to the rotary timers, but with a push/toggle switch. I have several closets (and several children!) who love to leave the lights on. Most of the 'timer' switches out there are for programming a scheduled ON/OFF/RANDOM time. I simply want it to shut off a few minutes after activation. Either have the time fixed (settable/programmable) with a single ON, or the 'on' button serves as a minute increment button. Anyone seen anything like this out there?

Many thanks,
Jamie

You need one with a neutral wire and rated for florescents.

All devices that do not have a neutral are not advised for fluorescents or even CFLs. They let a little current flow through the fixture to power themselves. This can cause the light to flicker(some CFLs are smart enough to avoid this, but who knows) and overheat.

Try this one

http://www.swylite.com/LST100.html

All devices that do not have a neutral are not advised for fluorescents or even CFLs. They let a little current flow through the fixture to power themselves. This can cause the light to flicker(some CFLs are smart enough to avoid this, but who knows) and overheat.

Try this one

Thanks for that important bit of info. Some of these things get pretty expensive! Sort of negates the cost savings. :) But $22-$25 isn't too bad. I could do without the LCD, but no biggie.

icellama21 said:

Try this one

Thanks for that important bit of info. Some of these things get pretty expensive! Sort of negates the cost savings. :) But $22-$25 isn't too bad. I could do without the LCD, but no biggie.

That timer I quoted will work, but it is mainly an On/Off timer schedule, although it does have some type of auto-off feature. It has been a long night. The one I was really thinking of is the intermatic. It is auto-off and flourescent capable(at least it claims so)

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/...f%20timers.aspx

You never mentioned if you have any existing lightning technology in place. If you have anything like UPB in place, it would be easy to set up the switches to do want you are asking for. However, if you do not already using something like UPB, the cost for a few switches is probably outside your budget targets.

The Swylite Timers will work well for you and automatically turn off in 10 minutes with no programming required. I read recently where Intermatic has "exited" the retail market and noticed that their products are no longer available at the (2) different home improvement centers near my house. I wouldn't use theirs for maybe they are moving on?? I don't really know.

I'd skip Intermatic - bad experience with Intermatic branded Z-wave outlet controller.
int-ha10k.jpg

I saw some Lutron timers at Lowes yesterday, if you like the look of their switches/dimmers. I'm pretty sure they are at HD, too - will check today.

You never mentioned if you have any existing lightning technology in place. If you have anything like UPB in place, it would be easy to set up the switches to do want you are asking for. However, if you do not already using something like UPB, the cost for a few switches is probably outside your budget targets.

Even if you don't have any UPB THIS switch from Simply Automated can be set up to turn off after manualy turned on.

Here is the switch on Automated Outlets web site. The switch can be setup to operate incandescent to a any dim level or switch florescent lighting.

Dave

I was just at Home Depot, and at least at this one they had two models of timer switches, one $29.99 and one $19.99 One had 1,3,5,10,30,60 minutes and one had 10,20,30,40,50,60 I think. You usually have to pay $2M for a house before they start appearing in the bathrooms. I've been using switches like these for my bathroom fans for years. Why builders don't use them more, I have no idea they are great. The two at Home Depot were both rated for 5A, and loads other than incandescent.

Back