Looking for an 8 channel DVR

kccustom

Howdy,

I have been thinking about upgrading my old 4 channel DVR to an 8 channel.

I am stumped, I know it needs to do one thing for sure, it has to be accessible via iphone and my elk app that Jason made (maybe he will chime in with a list)

I got the first one at new egg on an impulse buy. Now that I am looking around I see these things are hard to track down.

Is there a good place to buy from? I dont even know what questions to ask.

Helps a buddie out!

Howdy,

I am stumped, I know it needs to do one thing for sure, it has to be accessible via iphone and my elk app that Jason made (maybe he will chime in with a list)

I got the first one at new egg on an impulse buy. Now that I am looking around I see these things are hard to track down.

Helps a buddie out!

Costco.com has some made by Q-see. I'm really tempted to buy one and just return it if it sucks. They are cheap for what you get, and they get decent reviews on the site. They have 4, 8, and 16 channel versions, with cameras.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1

Howdy,

Helps a buddie out!

Costco.com has some made by Q-see. I'm really tempted to buy one and just return it if it sucks. They are cheap for what you get, and they get decent reviews on the site. They have 4, 8, and 16 channel versions, with cameras.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1

I dont need any cameras, I wonder if you can find it cheaper with out.

Anybody use Lorex?
http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/prod...=2085&nav=0

Just make sure you understand the FPS/resolution/browser interface limitations of most of these units.

Some of the common limitations of low end units:
  • Low FPS when recording at max quality (i.e., D1 resolution)
  • Since we like to interface everything with our HA, most of these cheaper systems require an ActiveX (or Java) plugin in order to access the stream/images, so no integration.
  • Maximum quality doesn't match the max resolution of your cameras.

Features wise, I really miss my Windows based AverMedia system, but I really wanted an appliance, without spending a fortune, so I settled. Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to see the details of an event because of a mismatched system. I'm far from an expert, but definitely do your research.

i'm installing mine in S. America. I don't require integration, just an appliance that "works." Research on these chinese units in advance is difficult, since many of these "look" the same from the outside, but actually have different parts "behind the covers."

Here's another one. I found this one, improved price/functionality than the one I just bought, two days after I purchased mine :)
http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/store/standalo...o-recorder.html
This is another company that answers the phone and is located in the US. Always a plus in my book.

A few thoughts on functionality:
Most of these chinese units are good for home/small-office. They are not, and should not be mistaken, for pro-grade. They won't integrate with home-automation systems. Never-the-less, they typicaly provide good functionality at very reasonable prices. "Security" doesn't necessarily require a high fps rate or the best video quality. If you want to record the nanny caring for the kids, you probably want a high recording frame rate (eg: to track whether they are "shaking" the baby) and can tolerate lesser video quality (you know who the nanny is, you don't need to see the face to figure out who) If you want to monitor a small business, you want better picture quality (to see a customer's face), but lower fps are fine. (most people don't run like tom cruise in MI2... 5 fps is more than enough in most cases). Unit resolution and features never fix problems with camera quality, camera location, camera focal length (zoom), or lighting. For example, to monitor cash in a cash register, you need a properly aimed camera at the correct zoom. That's far more important than recording at D1 quality. As for D1 quality... well, I'm not quite sure why you need it... These units aren't TiVOs ;)

That looks even better, definitely post and let us know how it works over the internet.

Once again, this is the unit I purchased:
http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/onewesaisu8c.html

Update on bench-testing. I connected two cameras (one mid-grade/pro-grade honeywell, one cheapo swann). I'm comparing this to my kodicom 8 camera ebay board running warez.

1. unit starts up out of the box.
    fan is a bit loud (doesn't always run), but not intolerable. Don't mount the unit in the master bedroom
    monitor thrugh VGA and two BNC connectors. One my requirements was multiple physical monitors
    PC integration using active-X plug-in. I like that I can reconfigure via web (another requirement)
    playback method is a bit funky. It stores blocks of time in "files" and you playback the entire "file" one at a time. You "find" a block of time.
    recording quality is measured in: normal quality, good quality, better quality, best quality. I can't translate that into more objective measurements. ;)
    you cannot rotate individual camera images (rotage, flip, or mirror)
    installed the PC software... couldn't find the unit. Will play with this more, later.

BTW -- I have a digitized version of the manual, if you want to see it, send me a PM with your email.

i'm installing mine in S. America. I don't require integration, just an appliance that "works." Research on these chinese units in advance is difficult, since many of these "look" the same from the outside, but actually have different parts "behind the covers."

Here's another one. I found this one, improved price/functionality than the one I just bought, two days after I purchased mine :)
http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/store/standalo...o-recorder.html
This is another company that answers the phone and is located in the US. Always a plus in my book.

A few thoughts on functionality:
Most of these chinese units are good for home/small-office. They are not, and should not be mistaken, for pro-grade. They won't integrate with home-automation systems. Never-the-less, they typicaly provide good functionality at very reasonable prices. "Security" doesn't necessarily require a high fps rate or the best video quality. If you want to record the nanny caring for the kids, you probably want a high recording frame rate (eg: to track whether they are "shaking" the baby) and can tolerate lesser video quality (you know who the nanny is, you don't need to see the face to figure out who) If you want to monitor a small business, you want better picture quality (to see a customer's face), but lower fps are fine. (most people don't run like tom cruise in MI2... 5 fps is more than enough in most cases). Unit resolution and features never fix problems with camera quality, camera location, camera focal length (zoom), or lighting. For example, to monitor cash in a cash register, you need a properly aimed camera at the correct zoom. That's far more important than recording at D1 quality. As for D1 quality... well, I'm not quite sure why you need it... These units aren't TiVOs ;)

That looks even better, definitely post and let us know how it works over the internet.

Once again, this is the unit I purchased:
http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/onewesaisu8c.html

Update on bench-testing. I connected two cameras (one mid-grade/pro-grade honeywell, one cheapo swann). I'm comparing this to my kodicom 8 camera ebay board running warez.

1. unit starts up out of the box.
    fan is a bit loud (doesn't always run), but not intolerable. Don't mount the unit in the master bedroom
    monitor thrugh VGA and two BNC connectors. One my requirements was multiple physical monitors
    PC integration using active-X plug-in. I like that I can reconfigure via web (another requirement)
    playback method is a bit funky. It stores blocks of time in "files" and you playback the entire "file" one at a time. You "find" a block of time.
    recording quality is measured in: normal quality, good quality, better quality, best quality. I can't translate that into more objective measurements. ;)
    you cannot rotate individual camera images (rotage, flip, or mirror)
    installed the PC software... couldn't find the unit. Will play with this more, later.

BTW -- I have a digitized version of the manual, if you want to see it, send me a PM with your email.

Do you have an iPhone or iTouch to try it with, their website says it is iPhone compatible.

D1 resolution is important when you need to be able to ID a stranger and also if you want to provide evidence to the police and the court system for prosecution, Most of these DVR's will record in CIF resolution which is 352 X 240. D1 resolution is 704 X 460 so you can see that D1 gives you a much better chance of making an ID. Police departments really like D1 since it is so much easier for them to work with. It is mostly a matter of what you need to be able to do with the video once you record it. You make a good point that the DVR features and resolution don't make up for poor camera quality and placement. It is important to get a quality camera with at least 480 TVL in my opinion and a varifocal lens is invaluable in getting the most precise field of view that you need.

I have been looking around for a DVR which supports D1@30FPS, non IE browsers, etc, but they are hard to find :/ I should probably just save up for a AverMedia based appliance or something.

Back