Looking for an 8 channel DVR

I have been looking around for a DVR which supports D1@30FPS, non IE browsers, etc, but they are hard to find :/ I should probably just save up for a AverMedia based appliance or something.
I have to decide what is more important, a wife or a DVR that can do all of that :)

Here's another one. I found this one, improved price/functionality than the one I just bought, two days after I purchased mine :)
http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/store/standalo...o-recorder.html
This is another company that answers the phone and is located in the US. Always a plus in my book.
I found the same unit at http://www.trannvrs.com/store/ That seems to be a twin site, from the same company, but with lower prices. The only thing I could see different was that you had to create an account before you could see prices. I ordered the DVR-H9006UVD "16CH H.264 Full D1 720x480 Res, 480fps Security DVR w/ DVD-RW" for $392.50 with free shipping and then an extra 3% off with the coupon on their site (before you register). It looks like it has all the features I want/need/can afford for now. The manual seems usable & readable. The importer seems to have a stable & visible presence. Their prices on cameras and accessories looked good also. I will let you know what I think of it. I couldn't logon to their live demo last night, but I wanted to get this shipped today, so I can install before our next trip.

Unless I am missing something, that unit does NOT support recording at D1 resolutions. It's even more confusing since a lot of these cheaper units can display D1, just not record D1 (so what's the point?).

Unless I am missing something, that unit does NOT support recording at D1 resolutions. It's even more confusing since a lot of these cheaper units can display D1, just not record D1 (so what's the point?).

The ones found here will do full 30fps D1:Shoreview Security

One thing that must not be forgotten is the camera quality. If you want any kind of night vision then good cameras will cost, look for ones with an 1/3" ExView Sony CCD.

I think I am pretty much settled on IP cams for outside my house and using some thing like Luxriot for the DVR part. D1 is ok which is the most you can go with analog cameras and DVR's, with IP you can get into Megapixel, something like this Arecont Camera with a 1/2" CMOS for low light.

I've been playing around with the unit I bought. It does reasonably well. The search feature is hard to use, but tolerable once you get used to it. All files are broken into 15 minute chunks, requiring you to copy multiple files if you need to demonstrate an activity that spans the boundary. The PELCO functionality is nice.

I need to go find my work iphone and see if I can get the remote view software. The web software is fully functional.

I've been playing around with the unit I bought. It does reasonably well. The search feature is hard to use, but tolerable once you get used to it. All files are broken into 15 minute chunks, requiring you to copy multiple files if you need to demonstrate an activity that spans the boundary. The PELCO functionality is nice.

I need to go find my work iphone and see if I can get the remote view software. The web software is fully functional.
Can you view multiple cameras at once using the web view? If so how does it perform? Screen shot maybe?

Can you view multiple cameras at once using the web view? If so how does it perform? Screen shot maybe?

Yes... using the ActiveX control you can view all 8 cameras at the same time. Clicking on one of them brings it up full screen. Seems to be a small delay in seeing what's happening, compared to "live" but tolerable.

I'll get a screen shot up tonight...

Found another cheap 8 channel, if the one I ordered from newegg dont work out I will order this one
http://www.directron.com/dvcltd7708ht.html

Well the one from newegg was junk I am sending it back and I am trying this one (from newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16881192119

Scratch Newegg, I found it for over 100$ less with free shipping at tiger direct
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4445

it only cost me a 72 dollar restocking fee ( am going to call and raise some hell)

I have done some research into 8ch DVRs, and if you want D1 recording, mobile phone/pda support and at least ~7fps, you'll be paying AT LEAST around $700. The Vitek EH8 and the AP-2408 are the best choices in that budget range. If you are willing to drop the H.264 requirement, then something like the Vitek E8 might do the job, and is a tiny bit cheaper. I really would avoid buying a DVR which can't do the job, eventho it can be tempting with their much lower prices.

Back