Looking for an 8 channel DVR

I have seen a H.264 8 Channel DVR with 3G capabilities online. It's a network DVR that can play back over a network. You could even sync up a smart phone like an iPhone or a blackberry and stream your video footage through a surveillance DVR. It should have the feature 3G/ GPRS mobile phone monitoring. If you're looking for quality definition, look for something VGA output up to 1024x768 resolution. It should have USB ports for mouse control and backing up the DVR. if it has dual streaming your network speed will be fast. Each channel should have an individual setup of resolution, frame rate and video quality. Some have a still image snapshot to capture pertinent video frames. You will need a time stamp feature. The H.264 compression is ideal for saving HDD space. A multi feature DVR will be able to have a Live display, record, backup, playback and network access simultaneously. Quality DVR's have picture-in-picture monitoring and 2X to 8X digital zoom display. Most controls are on the front panel, but many have a USB mouse control, IR remote controller, and or a client viewer control. (meaning someone with outside password protected authorization can log into the network and control your DVR. If it has the feature (Pan / Tilt / Zoom camera control), pan tilt zoom cameras are compatible with the surveillance DVR. Find one with a menu driven operation. A smart idea would be to get a DVR with a network-Event triggered alarms. If there is motion detection, alarm sounding or video loss the network DVR will notify you via email, if you would like. Get a DVR that supports Internet Explorer with the same GUI as DVR site. I can't tell you the benefits of a multi-language OSD, at least not in French. A CMS (Central Management System) is the software that should come with it. I did a surveillance DVR search and got this video surveillance DVR. (3G H.264 8 Channel DVR-83G) it's an 8 channel and will do all the things i have listed. Hope this helps in some way inform you of what could be out there.

here is the link to the H.264 8 Channel DVR-83G

there is also some information on DVR Surveillance Recorder solutions

OK, while I am happy to see Channel Vision joining the forums, this really looks like spam B) Time for a PM.

I have seen a H.264 8 Channel DVR with 3G capabilities online. It's a network DVR that can play back over a network. You could even sync up a smart phone like an iPhone or a blackberry and stream your video footage through a surveillance DVR. It should have the feature 3G/ GPRS mobile phone monitoring. If you're looking for quality definition, look for something VGA output up to 1024x768 resolution. It should have USB ports for mouse control and backing up the DVR. if it has dual streaming your network speed will be fast. Each channel should have an individual setup of resolution, frame rate and video quality. Some have a still image snapshot to capture pertinent video frames. You will need a time stamp feature. The H.264 compression is ideal for saving HDD space. A multi feature DVR will be able to have a Live display, record, backup, playback and network access simultaneously. Quality DVR's have picture-in-picture monitoring and 2X to 8X digital zoom display. Most controls are on the front panel, but many have a USB mouse control, IR remote controller, and or a client viewer control. (meaning someone with outside password protected authorization can log into the network and control your DVR. If it has the feature (Pan / Tilt / Zoom camera control), pan tilt zoom cameras are compatible with the surveillance DVR. Find one with a menu driven operation. A smart idea would be to get a DVR with a network-Event triggered alarms. If there is motion detection, alarm sounding or video loss the network DVR will notify you via email, if you would like. Get a DVR that supports Internet Explorer with the same GUI as DVR site. I can't tell you the benefits of a multi-language OSD, at least not in French. A CMS (Central Management System) is the software that should come with it. I did a surveillance DVR search and got this video surveillance DVR. (3G H.264 8 Channel DVR-83G) it's an 8 channel and will do all the things i have listed. Hope this helps in some way inform you of what could be out there.

here is the link to the H.264 8 Channel DVR-83G

there is also some information on DVR Surveillance Recorder solutions

How much? And does it have an iPhone app?

if it's on our Compatibility List here for our mobile cctv app then it has jpg or mjpg coming off of it.
Total Control Compatibility List

the one above from CV is the similar to the HR04 on our Compatibility List
HR04 OEM Example Link

or the TrueH dvr here
TrueH Example

Gadspot OEM a similar also here
Gadspot

personally this is what i am seeing these days in the cctv market, especially the dvr market. the koreans traditionally held this market tight. now the chinese are coming in like they do with any physical product these days and they OEM in a hearbeat (and cheaply). The koreans try to stay direct because this is their bread and butter (think intellectual property and comparative advantage) but there is huge pressure from the chinese now. The chinese OEM maybe 5 times before it even hits the US OEM company. it's crazy but this is how many levels i go through sometimes to figure out which dvr a company is actually using so we can integrate it (if possible). i can call the same ip camera, dvr, etc. 5 different names in our app and physically it all comes from the same manufacturer. they just typically throw a different logo on it, maybe some different firmware, etc. look at foscam, goscam, vilar, ip cameras etc for an example of this. some people try to call them 'clones' when in fact they are OEM/ODM/Private Label of the original just with maybe slightly different firmware to please the partner. if you want to know who is OEM/ODM/Private Label just start looking at their mobile phone apps. Go on the app store and search ip camera, dvr, etc. for apps and look at the screenshots of them and compare. you will find many have similar interfaces/gui/UI, etc. this is not by coincidence. from there you can start playing around on the internet and trace them back to the source which is mostly china in these cases.

again this part is my personal take on things but the koreans have a better product IMO and more developed. the china stuff is cheap with cheap parts but they know this and that is why they OEM to everyone and their mother and for real cheap. they are starting at the bottom of the ladder like any new entrant and are learning and moving up fast. much faster than many other countries would trying to enter the market. they have huge labor pools, extreme FDI, strict laws about operating a company to the point that they collect your IP and use it from there to quickly learn a product. 10 years from now i wouldn't be surprised to see China as the leading manufacturer in the ip camera/dvr market for both quantity and quality. they have whole cities with hundreds of thousands and even millions of people dedicated to electronics such as cctv.

if it's on our Compatibility List here for our mobile cctv app then it has jpg or mjpg coming off of it.
Total Control Compatibility List

the one above from CV is the similar to the HR04 on our Compatibility List
HR04 OEM Example Link

or the TrueH dvr here
TrueH Example

Gadspot OEM a similar also here
Gadspot

personally this is what i am seeing these days in the cctv market, especially the dvr market. the koreans traditionally held this market tight. now the chinese are coming in like they do with any physical product these days and they OEM in a hearbeat (and cheaply). The koreans try to stay direct because this is their bread and butter (think intellectual property and comparative advantage) but there is huge pressure from the chinese now. The chinese OEM maybe 5 times before it even hits the US OEM company. it's crazy but this is how many levels i go through sometimes to figure out which dvr a company is actually using so we can integrate it (if possible). i can call the same ip camera, dvr, etc. 5 different names in our app and physically it all comes from the same manufacturer. they just typically throw a different logo on it, maybe some different firmware, etc. look at foscam, goscam, vilar, ip cameras etc for an example of this. some people try to call them 'clones' when in fact they are OEM/ODM/Private Label of the original just with maybe slightly different firmware to please the partner. if you want to know who is OEM/ODM/Private Label just start looking at their mobile phone apps. Go on the app store and search ip camera, dvr, etc. for apps and look at the screenshots of them and compare. you will find many have similar interfaces/gui/UI, etc. this is not by coincidence. from there you can start playing around on the internet and trace them back to the source which is mostly china in these cases.

again this part is my personal take on things but the koreans have a better product IMO and more developed. the china stuff is cheap with cheap parts but they know this and that is why they OEM to everyone and their mother and for real cheap. they are starting at the bottom of the ladder like any new entrant and are learning and moving up fast. much faster than many other countries would trying to enter the market. they have huge labor pools, extreme FDI, strict laws about operating a company to the point that they collect your IP and use it from there to quickly learn a product. 10 years from now i wouldn't be surprised to see China as the leading manufacturer in the ip camera/dvr market for both quantity and quality. they have whole cities with hundreds of thousands and even millions of people dedicated to electronics such as cctv.
That is some helpful info, my head is swimming from so many different selections, I am looking at the Digital Watchdog series at AO now.
I may even go with 16 channels!

IIRC, the DW doesn't support non IE browsers, but it has been a while since I looked into those.

DW only has 1 dvr which uses the iphone app. also they had a big problem for awhile there when apple went from os3 to os4. basically the image was only a 1/4 of the size on os4 and they took forever to fix it (not sure if they did yet. double check that). Personally i think that model is OEM also or at least the app for it. they use a different streaming method which is why we don't support that dvr and also why we didn't have the 1/4 size screen video issue either.

DW only has 1 dvr which uses the iphone app. also they had a big problem for awhile there when apple went from os3 to os4. basically the image was only a 1/4 of the size on os4 and they took forever to fix it (not sure if they did yet. double check that). Personally i think that model is OEM also or at least the app for it. they use a different streaming method which is why we don't support that dvr and also why we didn't have the 1/4 size screen video issue either.

I tried their iPhone app on their demo setup, it crashed a few times and wasn't really that impressive. I figured it would at least be better than the one I have for the crappy Q-See.

Vitek says 3rd quarter of 2010 for their iPhone app and I think this is the third quarter so it could be any day now. :angry:

The more I look the more i befuddled I get. I just want a dvr that can:

1. Work with my iPhone via an iPhone app.
2. Be configured remotely.
3. Send snapshots via email based on alarm input no matter what record schedule is defined.
4. Record in D1.
5. Playback all channels at once.
6. (this is not a deal breaker if it cant do it) Upload to a remote site.

Well I haven't posted in this thread for a while so I guess I will tell yall what I have been up too.

I don't know if I posted that I had the Q-See QSDR008RTC and I have grown to hate it.
When I purchased it I was looking at price and channels, I had no clue what CIF 2CIF and D1 was, the QSDR008RTC is CIF only and it looks crappy viewing it over the internet.
It crashes and reboots it self daily, sometimes days of video are just missing.
If I have any warranty left I am going to use it because this thing is junk (lesson learned) not to mention it now sells for almost $100.00 less than what I paid for it. The only thing that I halfway like about it is it has an iPhone app.

To sum it up I wouldn't take one of these for free.

So I broke down and ordered the AVerDiGi EH5108H it is supposed to be here on Friday Nov 5 2010.

I was torn between the VITEK VT-EH8 and the AVerDiGi EH5108H because they are pretty close on features except the Averdigi can record IP cameras has 8 audio inputs and 4 relay outputs.

Also VITEK says they will have an iPhone app but I cant find it yet and Averdigi's is out now (pretty simple but its there).

I will get it all set up and post how or if I like it.

How much did you pay for the AVerDiGi if you don't mind me asking? I really liked AverMedia's NV5000 kit, so if that is any indicator, you should be pretty happy.

Update on the AverDigi EH5108H

First impression was ok till I tried to set up some simple tasks for it.

As of this time it cannot send a snapshot via email (It wont actually send any email at this point)
It does record in D1 as advertised but the quality is not that great, I have seen far cheaper units record better video
It does have an iPhone app, the one Q-see uses is better (the cheap Q-See could send a snapshot email out of the box)

And I am actually on my second unit (Avermedia customer service is awesome!) because of a problem I keep having with artifacts, kind of reminds me of what happens when you over clock a video card.

While I was writing this I received a reply from my latest email to Avermedia stating that they are expecting some new units in Dec. and will ship me one as soon as they arrive, I also forgot to mention that they sent me a new one without asking me to buy it, as in they sent it before I sent mine back, I thought that was pretty cool.

Back