Looking for particular electrified locking solution for residential exterior door

georgebasco

I'm having a hard time finding an electrified locking solution with these specific requirements:

- residential exterior door (new construction)
- remote status/lock/unlock (must remain latched in unlocked state)
- interior manual lock/unlock
- exterior keyed unlock
- visibly discreet
- no batteries

I've ruled out various electronic strikes because of the need to remain latched as
well as aesthetics.  The last two requirements seem to rule out most solutions on the
market today.

Something like this is close to what I'm looking for:

Baldwin Electrified Mortise Lock
I can't post link here, but search for this phrase and look at marray.com result as an example

This meets all the requirements except for the ability to manually lock/unlock because the
electrification replaces the manual mechanism.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks..

Thanks for the response.  Not sure I understand all of this correctly, but from the link you provide it looks like you're
suggesting the 70/71 Electromechanical version.

The problem with this, and other electrified sets I've seen, is that there is no manual method of changing the lock/unlock
state.  I might be confused, but looks like that can only be done electrically?

I'm looking for a solution that preserves all the function of a traditional handset including ability to manually toggle some type of
lock/unlock mechanism.  The electrification should only add the additional ability to remotely toggle the lock/unlock state.
In the Baldwin Mortise example I reference, the electrification gives you the remote ability, but you lose the manual ability to
toggle the lock/unlock buttons on the side of the door.

Electrified hardware is bought as a whole series of specific options, not just buy X and call it a day. Anything is possible with the hardware based on what you specify and order, so your assumptions and experiences are wrong.

For every manufacturer I know of (basic steps):

Choose the series hardware
Choose electrified
Choose the finish
Choose the lever style
Choose the rose style
Choose the functionality of the hardware/cylinder function
Choose if the cylinder style
Choose if the unit can be recored or is fixed

Look at the "how to create a PN" on the manufacturer's sites. Build the lockset from there.

Over the past week I've talked to a number of manufactures and several third party electrification outfits.

I'm left to conclude that what I'm looking for does not exist.  The heart of the problem is that while there
are plenty of electrification options, they all replace the manual lock/unlock mechanism with a solenoid.
Once the solenoid is in place, it is no longer possible to have any type of manual override.  The technical
experts I've talked to at these various companies have all agreed with me that what I'm looking for does
not exist.

I think I'll have to wait for the market to build something like the August or Kevo functionality into a lockset
that fits within the door.

And I'm telling you that I have hardware with override options.....

So who have you spoken to as far as manufacturers go? Sargent and Assa are literally around the corner from one of my major sites.

I talked with folks at Assa/Sargent/Emtek, Baldwin, Best, Accurate Locks.  As well as Architectural Control Systems and Marray
who electrify locks from most manufactures.  In some cases I feel like I've reached the right folks that are giving me accurate
answers, but in some cases I'm sure there are better people that I haven't been able to find.

If there is someone at Sargent or elsewhere that would give me a different answer, would love that contact.  I've looked around
a fair amount and have yet to find a web page or a person that indicates such a product exists.  I appreciate your help with this,
I'm just a bit stuck at this point.  Thank you!

Struck out with seclock.com.  Talked to someone there who told me that what I'm looking for doesn't
exist.  She referred me to someone who gave me the same story, ie. electrification removes the ability
for a manual lock/unlock toggle.  Given how many times I've now heard this, it's hard not to believe.

On the F81/F82 options from Sargent.  Not sure which line you're referring to.  They offer this function
(entrance or office) in several different lines including 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 8200, etc.  However, I don't see how
you can order these electrified.  Some of these lines (e.g. 8 and 8200) have electrified versions, but not in
F81/F82 function, and in particular none with a manual lock/unlock toggle.  And the folks I talked to at
Sargent agreed with my assessment.

Thanks for your encouragement that what I'm looking for does exist, but I'm clearly missing something
pretty basic here.  Any pointers to a web page/PDF that describes such a product would be greatly
appreciated.

Privacy and security are two increasingly rare commodities these days. Regarding the automatic door locking system, one common complaint I've heard is with the injuries sustained from door malfunction. I once heard of an incident where an old lady was slammed shut causing to break her hip.

But some doorways in addition to the sensor controls, have a manual door operating switch. Some with handicap symbol, or simply "PUSH". They work in conjunction with the sensors to open the doorway verifying if the area is clear.

Without investing much one can boost the security by lighting up the outdoors, installing timers (on TVs and lights), securing air conditioning units, eliminating hiding spots and assessing the doors. I prefer to have a deadbolt on the door, a feasible option. Check this article which gives 5 reasons to use a deadbolt on your door (https://www.clerawindows.com/blog/5-reasons-to-use-a-deadbolt-on-your-door/). Provided, as said in this article, check for the ANSI seal.

There are many low-cost things which can make your home secure from robbery and theft and promise you the much elusive peace of mind. We run helter-skelter in search of security/monitoring products to keep a watch on our valuables and loved ones. 

Back