M1G Keyboard Enrollment Issue

foxtail22

I just purchased a M1G an I have most of it completed but I am experiencing one issue that I either I am missing something or something is going on. I have two input zone expanders, two keypads, and an output relay board, and the internet interface. I have completed installing most items including 40 zones of security, 3 zones of 4 wire smokes, along with the rule base for some of the automation I am using.

Now to my issue. I have two RS485 data cable runs with one input expander board and one keypad on each one. The expander cards are co-located with the controller and the keypads are are at the end of the runs with the terminations set in them. I am using a 50W regulated and filtered 12V aux power for the RS485 bus devices. One of the keypads is a KP and the other is a KP2. The M1G insists as enrolling them both as Address 1. This cause both to have errors and renders them unusable. I have the RP software package on my PC and have been able to establish what is happening from it. If I disconnect one, the other pad enrolls and works fine, but the two will not enroll properly and work together.

What am I missing and what do I need to do to get these two to play nice?

I finally figured it out. I disconnected keypad one and then did the setup to change the address from the factory default. The contention for the other keypad was causing the panel to keep resetting or somthing because it would not stay in setup mode longl enought to get it to accept the new address. That was probably the only combination I had not tried. With the other pad off line, the setup worked flawlessly. Once I had the address changed, I reconnected the second keypad and now they both show in the enrollment list in RP.

Glad you got the address changed, but you should not have had to disconnect anything. Once in the setup mode, the keypad should have remained there until you did an exit or cycled power. Be aware that you may still have an issue.

The issue here is the addresses in the KP's were not changed from factory default. You can change them once the KP is powered up, then enroll the bus devices.

Duplicate addresses will cause the bus to start locking up.

All keypads are shipped with a default address of 1. Only power is required to be able to enter the setup mode and change the address.

It's definitely one of the flakier parts of the setup process. It might be better if they shipped with an invalid address of some sort... but I guess that would complicate the lives of users with just one keypad...

Back