M1XEP and Power

I've never looked into PoE. Am I correct in thinking that the M1XEP itself is not a PoE-enabled device? So even if I have it connected to a PoE-enabled router or switch, the M1XEP won't pull its power from the LAN connection to the switch...right? So at a minimum, there needs to be another component near the M1XEP (like the Linksys WAPPOE12 previously mentioned) to "split out" the power and provide it to the M1XEP via its power connection?

Thanks,
Ira

I've never looked into PoE. Am I correct in thinking that the M1XEP itself is not a PoE-enabled device? So even if I have it connected to a PoE-enabled router or switch, the M1XEP won't pull its power from the LAN connection to the switch...right? So at a minimum, there needs to be another component near the M1XEP (like the Linksys WAPPOE12 previously mentioned) to "split out" the power and provide it to the M1XEP via its power connection?

Thanks,
Ira

Yes you will need a poe splitter or you will need to cut the ethernet cable and take the power pair and wire to a connector and rewire a cat 5 end on the cable.

Andy

Possibly worthy of mention - POE is a specification - the manner which is being suggested that it be used here is not POE. You are putting power over an unsed pair of wires. (that happens to be ethernet). Careful not to plug it into a POE router - thats like 48 volts, eh?

I found a 12V DC UPS that was designed to be used with other telco equipment -- Cyber Power's Cyber Shield CS24U12V-12

I took the power out of this and ran it through a Leviton DC Supply Module 48212-DC just to make sure the power was regulated properly.

I run my router off of this and ran a wire to the Elk box to power the M1XEP

BTW: The power supply has terminal connections for power and output signals for "On Batter," "Low Battery," "Replace Battery," and "Missing Battery."

[I added the following cost analysis]

UPS Cost Analysis
$110.00 Cyber Power's Cyber Shield CS24U12V-12
$50.00 Leviton DC Supply Module 48212-DC
$20.00 At least two ELK-912 SPDT Relay Board 30mA
$180 Total

Elk PS Cost Analysis
$100.00 ELK-P212S Supervised Remote Power Supply
$12.00 ELK-TRG1640 Transformer, 16.5VAC 40VA w/PTC Protection
$25.00 ELK-1280 Battery, 12VDC 8Ah
$28.00 "ELK-UB12 Metal Enclosure, 12"" x 12"" x 3.25""
$7.00 ELK-SWP3 Mounting Plate for Structured Wiring Enclosures
$172 Total

Price Savings with Elk $7. Ability to wire to input expanders - Priceless.

I did not know about the Elk-P212S power supply when I went with the Cyber Shield. The Leviton DC Supply is nice because it regulates the voltage and provides terminals for attaching the cannon dc plugs used on the router and M1EXP. However, I could have made my own terminal strip with the $7 savings.

If I had to do it again, I think I would use the Elk power supply. The Cyber Power is working and I’m confident the Elk product would do the same -- plus have better supervision.

Back