*** M1XEP Current Draw?

Del,

Your  information often has the potential to mislead people.  Your statement that fuses are better than PTC in the application appears  incorrect.

Now you are saying you agree PTC's are required for Fire Alarm applications but not in Security or Access Control etc.  Well then you need to refer to UL1610 (Commercial Burg), UL1023 (Residential Burg), UL294 (Access Control) etc that have the same basic requirements for Power Limitation as the fire alarm standards.  You may also want to refer to Table 11 and 11 A and paragraph 725 of the NEC.  For Fire Alarm applications also refer to paragraph 760 of the NEC as well as NFPA 72. 

PTC's are specified in those standards because they provide the appropriate level of safety for these applications.  Will you still see an occasional fuse in a FACP, Burg Panel or Access Control Panel?  Sure but not protecting any circuit leaving the panel if its UL Listed.  Exception would be if the circuit is run in conduit (treated as Class 1)  or as a supplemental protection device (i.e. not relied upon for safety) in an inherently limited circuit.  That is why you will only see a few power distribution devices with fuses.

Your saying the ELK Power Distribution devices are not UL Listed while correct does not mean that they did not design them to meet the UL Standards and the NEC by using PTC's.  Elk is a responsible mfg making quality products.

By implying that a fuse would be better than a PTC in a Fire or Burg Power Distribution device could lead someone to use a fuse in place of a PTC and potentially not meet the NFPA or NEC requirements and possibly not properly protect the circuit.

As you are a very experienced professional installer I am sure you understand the liability of someone misinterpreting your statements etc.  I suggest you always refer someone to the NFPA and the NEC and where applicable the UL Standards etc so that they can determine the correct protective device etc for the specific application. 

As far as a PTC causing an overvoltage condition well they are overcurrent protective devices not over voltage protective devices that are required to act within 5 seconds compared to 60 seconds for fuses (refer to NEC tables 11 and 11A).  Neither a fuse or a PTC will protect against over voltage (although enough voltage would cause anything to open).  What you may be confusing them with are MOV's or Tranzorbs that protect against transients.  Both PTC's (for current) and MOV's/Transzorbs/Sparkgaps etc (for transients) are used together in all of the applications noted above. 

Will you find some cheap products from China etc that use fuses instead of PTC's for these applications?  Yes I see them myself.  That does not mean they meet our National Codes or UL Standards. 

Can a PTC nuisance trip more easily than a fuse?  Yes absolutely if the PTC is not properly rated for the application since they are designed to act faster than a fuse. 

Again please be careful as what you state as facts and maybe consider referring people to the appropriate code or standard so they can verify their specific applications requirements.

Without me studying the NEC codes referenced, am I correct to say that PTC protection is the NEC approved protection for both fire and burglary? I have an Altronix supply with fuses that powers the garage devices attached to my M1 but could easily upgrade it to circuit breakers..

Mike.

Digger said:
It would depend on the model etc.

I have an Elk M1 with a fused Alronix auxiliary power supply. The Altronix is currently powering an m1xin and m1xovr, m1db and Bosch motion detector. I also plan to use the Altronix to power future expansions to the system when the M1 supply becomes loaded up to the max.

I read what you guys said about the PTC breaking more slowly and possibly going over current making fuses better protection for equipment but aren't you splitting hairs? It seems to me that there is a big wide gray area here.

Mike.

Mike,

Del may have said that fuses break faster I did not.   If you refer to the NEC and the UL Standards you will see that a Power Limited Circuit is required in almost all Fire, Burg and Access Control applications where conduit is not used and the supply is not inherently limited for circuits "leaving" the panel.  A circuit that is not inherently limited is protected by a PTC to make it Power Limited  and is required to operate in 5 seconds compared to a Non Power Limited Circuit protected by a fuse is required to operate in 60 seconds.  So a PTC would operate much faster then the fuse.

The NEC and UL Standards require a Power Limited Circuit for safety in many applications.  If an installer chooses he/she can use whatever they are comfortable with and the local AHJ permits. 

Depending on the design of the power supply you are using it may or may not be suitable for your application.  You should refer to the NEC or consult your local AHJ etc.

Digger said:
Mike,

Del may have said that fuses break faster I did not.   If you refer to the NEC and the UL Standards you will see that a Power Limited Circuit is required in almost all Fire, Burg and Access Control applications where conduit is not used and the supply is not inherently limited for circuits "leaving" the panel. 

I'm a DIY'er and you are talking over my head. First what do you mean by "inherently" limited and just what does "leaving the panel" mean?
Digger said:
A circuit that is not inherently limited is protected by a PTC to make it Power Limited  and is required to operate in 5 seconds compared to a Non Power Limited Circuit protected by a fuse is required to operate in 60 seconds.  So a PTC would operate much faster then the fuse.

This leads me to believe that being faster to break, the PTC will always provide better protection to the equipment which in my mind makes it the better choice. In what situation would it benefit you to have  the longer 60 second protection? What sort of things do you take into consideration in making the decision?
Digger said:
The NEC and UL Standards require a Power Limited Circuit for safety in many applications.  If an installer chooses he/she can use whatever they are comfortable with and the local AHJ permits. 
Aren't circuits protected by  both PTC and fuses considered power limited?
Digger said:
Depending on the design of the power supply you are using it may or may not be suitable for your application.  You should refer to the NEC or consult your local AHJ etc.

Mike.

Mike,

Inherently Limited would mean it meets the NEC requirements for Power Limitation without a protective device such as a PTC.  So the NEC states that the circuit cannot be capable of providing 8 amps (or 100 watts) at 5 seconds to be inherently limited.  A small transformer or power supply that can only deliver 2 amps etc under any loading condition might meet that requirement.  But if the transformer or power supply can supply more than 8 amps (or 100 watts)  for 5 seconds then you can add a PTC to make it Power Limited.  In the case of your Power Supply it may meet the inherently limited requirements yet still have fuses as supplemental protection (depends on the design). 

A circuit leaving the panel would be an zone input circuit, a bell circuit etc.  Unless the wiring is run in conduit it should be a Power Limited Circuit. If the circuit is staying within the enclosure then it does not have to be Power Limited but it must be separated from Power Limited Circuits by a min 1/4" or a barrier. 

Fuses are cheap and easily replaced. They are often used where Power Limited Circuits are not required because of that. 

Digger said:
Mike,

Inherently Limited would mean it meets the NEC requirements for Power Limitation without a protective device such as a PTC.  So the NEC states that the circuit cannot be capable of providing 8 amps (or 100 watts) at 5 seconds to be inherently limited.  A small transformer or power supply that can only deliver 2 amps etc under any loading condition might meet that requirement.  But if the transformer or power supply can supply more than 8 amps (or 100 watts)  for 5 seconds then you can add a PTC to make it Power Limited.  In the case of your Power Supply it may meet the inherently limited requirements yet still have fuses as supplemental protection (depends on the design). 

A circuit leaving the panel would be an zone input circuit, a bell circuit etc.  Unless the wiring is run in conduit it should be a Power Limited Circuit. If the circuit is staying within the enclosure then it does not have to be Power Limited but it must be separated from Power Limited Circuits by a min 1/4" or a barrier. 

Fuses are cheap and easily replaced. They are often used where Power Limited Circuits are not required because of that. 
Great post!  Thanks Digger.

EDIT - DEL deleted the post I was referring to in this post which will add confusion to this thread.

Del,

Even a DIY person has to be wary of the application to insure that their installation is safe and meets code etc. Their families safety is more important than a Pro being sued etc.   Don't blow off a DIY installation as I have seen many DIY installs that were much better than some professional installs. 

In addition DEL a R/C Fuse would blow differently than a Listed fuse based on the R/C fuse Conditions of Acceptability so your statement the only item that changes how a fuse opens is if its a slow blow or not is very misleading and out right incorrect.  A relied upon Listed fuse should never be replaced with a R/C fuse without the proper evaluation to insure the application would be safe.  A R/C fuse from mfg ABC should not be replaced with a R/C fuse from mfg DEF without evaluation as well.  That basically means that two of the same ratings R/C fuses may not necessarily behave the same depending on their design and standards met. Two Listed fuses rated identically would basically perform the same yes. 

I know you are an installer but it does not appear by your comments that you are aware of the rationale behind the National Codes and Standards and thus the design of the products to comply with those codes and standards when it comes to overcurrent protective devices.  Admittedly you do not have to be if you use the appropriate complying products and follow the installation instructions accordingly as well as the local and national codes.  But you should know that using a fuse in place of a PTC in a Fire, Burg or Access Control application could violate code and could "potentially" be unsafe (that's why the code exists).  By you implying a fuse is better than a PTC in these applications could result in someone having an issue.

Anyone (Pro or DIY) should always follow the local and national codes for safety as well as the mfg instructions.

And Yes Del the PD9 is an excellent product and designed with PTC's to meet the code and standards.

Mike,

I have never used that model but I will try and remember to look for it in our attic at work.  According to their cut sheet the output is Power Limited but each output appears to have supplemental fuses so a short or overload on one wont affect the others.

If their advertising is correct and the output of the supply is Power Limited then it should be fine for your application if its what I think it is. 

Just to be clear to everyone the fuses do not make it Power Limited the PS itself must be.

As far as not understanding is part of the problem is that DEL deleted his post.  I guess he realized he made a mistake about the fuses and could mislead someone.  No big deal as long as nobody gets hurt.

Edit:

I cant add the link for some reason but if you look up the installation instructions for the PS itself without the fuse board (AL400UL) it shows that the PS has a Power Limited Output.  So the fuses are supplemental as I stated above.  Its basically a cheap break out board.

Digger said:
Mike,

I have never used that model but I will try and remember to look for it in our attic at work.  According to their cut sheet the output is Power Limited but each output appears to have supplemental fuses so a short or overload on one wont affect the others.

If their advertising is correct and the output of the supply is Power Limited then it should be fine for your application if its what I think it is. 

Just to be clear to everyone the fuses do not make it Power Limited the PS itself must be.

As far as not understanding is part of the problem is that DEL deleted his post.  I guess he realized he made a mistake about the fuses and could mislead someone.  No big deal as long as nobody gets hurt.

Edit:

I cant add the link for some reason but if you look up the installation instructions for the PS itself without the fuse board (AL400UL) it shows that the PS has a Power Limited Output.  So the fuses are supplemental as I stated above.  Its basically a cheap break out board.

Yes it is a class 2 rated power limited output. I'm going to have to do some reading to learn what power limited means.

Here's a link to the specs

http://www.altronix.com/products/product.php?name=AL400ULX

Mike.

Technicall the Class 2 is misleading. They do that because some products like a CCTV camera state Class 2 not power limited.

Search the web for table 11 and 11A of the NEC it will explain a lot

The AL400 output is fused on the main board. The auxillary boards are distribution secondary to the main board with their own fuses or PTC's.

The supply is listed without the distro boards, so it's a compliant device with or without them.

DELInstallations said:
The AL400 output is fused on the main board. The auxillary boards are distribution secondary to the main board with their own fuses or PTC's.

The supply is listed without the distro boards, so it's a compliant device with or without them.

I assume that the AL400 main board breaks at 4 amps. Do you know if the protection on the main board PTC or is it a one shot deal.

Mike.

Back