*** M1XEP Current Draw?

Digger said:
Mike,

Its a switching power supply so it will just fold back if overloaded.  Then once the overload is removed it will come back.  What you would see if you put a volt meter on the output is that if you place a short circuit on the output it will probably hiccup (it will fold back and then come back and see the short and fold back and rinse and repeat until the short is gone).  I say probably as I have seen a few switching supplies that just fold back and don't hiccup and they stay off until their input power is cycled. 

Switch mode designs are very efficient, light weight (usually compared to a linear) and cost effective.  

Contrary to DEL's statement that the AL400U is fused on the main board it is NOT fused on the output.  Their installation instructions even verify that  fact so I have no idea where he is getting his information.  While their is a "primary" protective device that is NOT protecting the output.  It is a switch mode and inherently limited in itself and does not need a PTC to make the output "Power Limited" nor does it need a fuse to protect it on its output.  

Altronix makes good quality products and you cant go wrong with them in my opinion.    Year ago I tested several of their designs for safety compliance and I would have no hesitation to buy any of their products for my own use.  Same goes for Elk Products and other mfg's. 

The distribution board that Altronix makes for the al400ul comes in two versions, one with fuses and one with PTC breakers. It breakes the 4 amp power supply out into four individually fused 1 amp outputs.

Mike.

Mike,

I see where DEL got confused.  The 15A 32 V fuse is on the battery not the output (they consider it an output since it charges the battery).  As I stated it is inherently limited and not fused on the output of the supply itself.  Any power distribution board can be used and still be considered power limited (no fuses or PTC's, fuses, or PTC's).

Again in my "opinion" its a good unit. 

Mike,

I see where DEL got confused.  The 15A 32 V fuse is on the battery not the output (they consider it an output since it charges the battery).  As I stated it is inherently limited and not fused on the output of the supply itself.  Any power distribution board can be used and still be considered power limited (no fuses or PTC's, fuses, or PTC's).

Mike,

Mike,

Mike,

Mike,

Mike there is a 15 A, 32V fuse on the battery circuit. The short circuit current on a 7 ah battery is over 100 amps for a brief period. Larger batteries you might be able to weld with. So many mfg out a protective device on the battery circuit. That and also for reverse polarity.

The board doesn't work with that fuse missing or blown, so it's attached to the output and not just the battery charging circuit.

We've got hundreds of the AL series boards out there. There's also a few different revisions.

Del to make you happy I will try and call Jonathan tomorrow and get proof that the PS is Power Limited ((even though the installation instructions say so) and that it does not rely on a fuse to meet Power Limitation (it cant it would not meet code or UL864 or UL1481).  Should I ask him to put that on their letterhead for you?

So.... DIY consumer/enthusiast type here... definitely not a pro/engineer.

Looking at my install the other day, my M1XEP is powered by the ac adapter that comes with it (in a very inelegant fashion, as my ELK enclosure doesn't have an AC outlet in it). I'm wondering if it can just be directly powered by the ELK Panel. All I know is that the M1XEP looks like it runs on the same voltage that is available as outputs on the panel. No knowledge of what kind of current draw is available required, etc...?

So, is this a good idea, or no? (I'd really like to get rid of the AC adapter).

Yes you can power the xep from the M1 VAUX auxiliary power and gain the added benefit of having it backed up by the system battery, the terminals are located on the lower left side of the M1 panel. Just make certain that you get the polarity correct and that you don't overload the M1 supply.

Elk has a nice little spreadsheet that will help you calculate the load on the system - it can be found at:

http://www.elkproducts.com/Owner_support_tools.html

Back