m1XEP setup problems

nosyt

I can't seem to get my M1XEP to work. When I try to enroll the M1XEP with the keypad using the bus enrollment menu, I get an error and it only finds my keypad.

KP Addr 1
Lost Comm

Thats what my keypad is telling me when I try to enroll.

I have the M1XEP connected to the RS232 port with the serial cable. The M1EXP is connected to an airport extreme. I get the amber light on the M1XEP but no green light.

Can anyone help? Elks page says they don't give support to M1 owners, only installers. I bought it from surveillent

Hi, welcome to CT!

If the green light isn't blinking, then I am guessing there is a network connectivity issue. Does your router show a link light? Try a different Ethernet cable if you have one (and reboot the XEP).

Dan is right about the blinking green light right where the cat5 plugs in. No green light equals no ethernet connectivity. So definitely check your cat5 as well as the router you are plugging it into. Plug a computer in using the same wire and plug on the router to ensure it is working.

I think you should still be able to enroll even if no ethernet is plugged in at all. If the amber light on the actual xep next to the rj45 jack is solid then you have power and are booted.

Check your db9 wire and ensure it is securely seated on both the m1 and the xep.

At this point you should be able to initiate enrollment from menu 9 on a keypad. If not, I don't know what to tell you. You could have a bad serial cable. You could try another one of those. Perhaps your unit is just bad.

I've tried different cables and re-seating everything. I can verify that the internet connection works by using the same cable on the computer. My green light on the ethernet port flashes 5 times when I power the M1XEP on, and then flashes very briefly every 15-20 seconds after that. Still, the Elk RP2 software can't find the M1XEP

Oh, ok, so you do have an activity light. Can you find out if it obtained an IP address from your router?

I think the key here is that there is loss of a keypad when enrolling it. Have you checked you are not duplicating addresses, AND that you have the proper termination resistor configuration?

Are you home running this to a DBH or are you connecting to the end of a run etc...?

First, thanks so much for the help so far!

I can confirm by the MAC address that the M1XEP has the IP of 192.168.1.4 assigned by my router.

I guess I expected the green light to blink more steadily or more often.

Still doesn't show up in the ElkRP2 software.

My keypad is spliced to a cat 5 cable with the White, Red, Black and Green leads ending on the panel (lower right hand side) The Blue and Brown aren't connected. I was confused by the wiring diagram and have no EOL resistor on the keypad. Is this wired wrong? I only have one keypad now but might add one later ( If I ever get this thing working!)

You need an end of line resistor or you can get signal reflections that cause errors. It is a quick and easy thing to do and Elk has the schematics in the manual.

However, I doubt that is why the m1xep is challenging you since it doesn't use that data bus but rather then serial cable connection. Still, I would correct that before trying anything else.

The fact that your router is seeing and logging the xep means it is probably working. So here are some thoughts/questions:

Does your keypad work properly?
Have you enrolled the xep using that (hopefully working) keypad? (See the manual for that, I believe it is menu 9)
Do you have any firewalls/antivirus software on the computer you are using ElkRP2 on? Try shutting it all off.

You need an end of line resistor or you can get signal reflections that cause errors. It is a quick and easy thing to do and Elk has the schematics in the manual.

Ok I'm looking at these schematics for the single keypad wiring (top of page 9 in the install manual). I just added a 2200 Ohm EOL from the blue wire to the black wire. Where I'm confused is this part of the diagram where a brown and black wire to to a box labeled "Load (50mA max) I.E. LED, Relay" what exactly is this? Is that something I skip? Do I leave the brown wire just hanging there?

On top of all this trouble, when I power the system up, it constantly beeps telling me "Not Ready, 16 Zone, Area 1 Output 2 Trouble"

You don't need those two extra wires. One is an additional zone (like for that entry door that most people put a keypad next to instead of running it directly back to the panel), and the other is to connect a device like a relay or something else that you want to power through the keypad.

I am not remembering any jumpers on the keypads. And with only one keypad, I don't think you need to enroll it either. I think it happens automatically. You do need to enroll the xep however. Have you tried this?

Not Ready, 16 zone just means the zone is violated. So whatever is on zone 16 is not secure or is not connected properly.
Output 2 is, I think, the siren output. Check the manual on that.

I dont have the docs in front of me but I will look at them tonight. But the wires you are talking about are a zone and a output wire which are at teh keypad usually used for a local door as Lou pointed out.

with only one item on the buss I beleive you need the resistor (termination jumper)at the panel AND the keypad. I beleive you need two termination points on the buss when using it straight off the panel, things change when you involve a DBH (Data Buss Hub)

Ok, I seem to have made some progress. I was finally able to connect to the system using the RP2 software via the XEP. I never did get the "find" command to work, but manually entering the system IP and serial number allowed me to connect. From there I updated some settings, the RP2 said it would have to restart the XEP, and after that, I can't connect again! I go to "connection" - "network" and it fails to find the system. I think I'm going insane.

Check that your router didn't give it a new address on the reboot.

Once you get connected, I highly recommend giving the xep a static address.

Also, I assume the computer you are running rp2 on is on the same subnet as the xep, but if not that could mess things up.

seems like after the reboot the XEP doesn't show up in my routers DHCP client list anymore. I've restarted both the M1 and XEP, my router. All my other devices show up in the list.

Back