M1XIN Where to locate

magrann

Hello,

Just trying to figure out the best set up for this. I have the m1 in the basement and I need to add the m1xin. Should I put the m1xin in the elk m1 cabinet and run all the wires to there or put the m1xin somewhere remotely and run just the one wire back to the cabinet. If I put it remotely, the best place would be the garage for me but I am not sure if this is a good/bad idea and where would I mount it. I have already run some of the wires to the cabinet individually but I have no problem changing it if it makes sense. I guess it might be like a 50 to 60 feet run for each wire. Also, I am about to receive a m1dbh and just assumed this would be put in if not near the elkm1.

Thanks
Mike

I'd put it wherever is most convenient & shortest overall wiring run. You could put it closer to all your sensors, then run the sensors there and the single wire back.

No reason to remotely mount it further away from the sensors than the M1, that I can think of anyhow.

I'd put it wherever is most convenient & shortest overall wiring run. You could put it closer to all your sensors, then run the sensors there and the single wire back.

No reason to remotely mount it further away from the sensors than the M1, that I can think of anyhow.

Thanks IVB,

Yeah, I guess that is what I am trying to figure out. The garage location would be the most convenient since it is where most of the sensors are near and then one single run back to the m1. I am not sure though where to mount it. I have a spare m1 14" can but I am not sure I want to use it for just one board expander. Also, is the garage safe, it is non insulated and gets a bit cold.

Mike

that's what i have... the main board in one location, then one wire back to an input expander in the laundry room where the sensor wires run to. isn't that the whole point of the input expander? if you were just going to wire the sensors back to the main board, why wouldn't you just use it instead of the expander?

that's what i have... the main board in one location, then one wire back to an input expander in the laundry room where the sensor wires run to. isn't that the whole point of the input expander? if you were just going to wire the sensors back to the main board, why wouldn't you just use it instead of the expander?

Thanks. I think that's what I will do. My main board is full already, so I thought I needed the input expander. Did you mount yours in the laundry room in a can?

FYI:

Follow the RS485 wiring diagram on page 7 of the M1 instructions. Miswiring the RS485 is what causes most data bus problems.

I have a spare m1 14" can but I am not sure I want to use it for just one board expander. Also, is the garage safe, it is non insulated and gets a bit cold.

Ness (In Aus) have a small box that can hold two M1 boards. It is not much wider than the M1XIN board and stacks the boards up on each other (slightly staggered as well). Have a look through their site or send them an e-mail if you cant find it. It is built specifically for this type of thing.

Mick

Back