Merging digital media

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Feature-packed PCs are becoming home entertainment hubs

By David Ranii, Raleigh News & Observer
February 23, 2004

The new Gateway FMC-901X looks nothing like a computer. But it could provide a glimpse of the future of home computing.

It's a squat device that resembles an oversized electronic component - such as a TiVo recorder or an FM tuner - and, like them, it's designed to be connected to your TV or stereo.

The machine is a powerful PC with all the usual functions, from e-mail to word processing. But it's also a digital entertainment hub. It can turn your computer monitor into a television, or a television monitor into a computer screen. It's a digital video recorder that, like TiVo, can make "live" TV pause and rewind. It's a digital jukebox that can manage your CD collection. It receives FM radio signals, plays and burns DVDs and organizes and stores digital photos.

Read more ...

That is one sweet looking case. ExtremeTech did a review back in December. I love the fact the the front panel ports are hidden, but I wonder how easy it would to mod it (ie. put an IR receiver or VFD under the DVD drive). The price might scare a few people off, but they are really using top of the line components.... A little overkill actually. You don't need an ATI 9800Pro for tv out, unless you're an avid gamer.

Now, how to get my hands on an empty case.

Treetop

Edit: Came across a pic of this unit with the front plate off. It looks like it does indeed have a display (hard to see, but looked like a 2*20) positioned directly under the DVD player.

Back