Microsoft's New Small Tablet Machine

I think the big announcement will be a teaser and you will have to wait another 2 weeks to actually find out if it will be released before 2010...note the links week1, week2, week3 down on the bottom left, I imagine after whatever turns up tommorow there will be another week before more details are released.

I agree they would make a excellent tablet for control, hopefully Microsoft can make them affordable and available within a reasonable time frame.

Microsoft has said that the video that has been going around is about a year old or so, so it might have changed a lot. This is viral marketing at its best! According to the source code comments, it's going to be running XP:
<!--

Origami Project: the Mobile PC running Windows XP

-->

I understood from the article that what they are releasing is a reference design. So it does not mean that they have a real device to sell. Also, the price will depend on the manufacture decision on what to implement. Just like the Z-Wave case.

While vieweing the video I could not avoid getting flashbacks of my Apple MessagePad 2000 (Newton). It seems to be the same thing but with technology 10 years more advanced.

When the Palm was released people that used to see me with the Newton started to make jokes about the size - without understanding that they were comparing apples to oranges. I loved it, sad that Steve killed the product. Not Bill robbed the idea (again). :D

It will also be interesting to see how they implement XP in an usable pen oriented form factor. The limited success of the Newton and success of the Palm consisted in not trying to imitate a keyboard PC.

elcano said:
When the Palm was released people that used to see me with the Newton started to make jokes about the size - without understanding that they were comparing apples to oranges.
Well, it wouldn't be apples to apples either! :D

It looks like it's running the Tablet version. To be honest, the first thing I thought of was the Elk touchscreen, about the same size, can almost do the same thing, but runs CE instead of XP :)

Anybody remember the show TekWar?

These things remind me of the touchscreen pads the characters in Tekwar used.

Back