Mini coax Vs. Monoprice RCA component cable.

gasbie

Guys, I really need all your contribution here. I'm debating on buying either a roll of mini-coax cable and terminate it myself or I should buy the monoprice RCA component cable. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

Here are my concerns. What is the maximum resolution that a mini-coax can carry? 1080i or 1080p?
How easy is it to terminate a minicoax without degrading the video quality.
I know that with the monoprice wires, I will need a bigger hole but at least I will have a piece of mind that the wires are terminated properly. I always buy my wires from monoprice, so in monoprice I trust. However I just want to get the best out of either wire for future proof reasons. Can these monoprice wire carry 1080p signal?

I want something that will give me a quality HDTV signal

I bought a spool of mini-coax at my local supply house (it was a special order never picked up, so I got a good deal) along with some connectors from ICM. Once I figured out how to 'neatly' fold back the braid and foil, it was fairly easy. TV shows full HD, although I've not been able to tell that much difference between 1080p and 1080i

I went the Monoprice route and it was the right choice for me. PQ is great and I didn't have to spend countless hours terminating. I do however have to deal with a lot of excess wire in the areas where Monoprice did not have a close enough distance (ie 50 ft cable in a 30 ft space).

what does anyone think about this cable. what does the "CCS" means? Is this a good cable for HDTV? thanks
Guess: CCS = copper clad steel

It doesn't say CL2, so I'd ask if you're picky about such things.

I've bought from A1 before and haven't had any problems.

A precision mini coax should carry 1080p signals just fine, however the distance will be shorter than a precision RG-59 which will be shorter than a precision RG-6 cable. In other words, the larger cables don't carry a higher grade signal, but they will carry a signal farther before it starts to degrade. That being said, most precision mini-coax should work out to distances ~ 250 feet. So it is plenty in most home situations. It is generally cheaper than the larger cables because of the smaller amounts of copper and other materials needed.

CCS does equal copper clad steel. It is also NOT what you want if you expect to distribute HD signals (or really ANY line level signal). Definitely look for something that is labeled as "Precision" cable which is normally a solid copper core (not copper coated steel), and better braiding.

A precision mini coax should carry 1080p signals just fine, however the distance will be shorter than a precision RG-59 which will be shorter than a precision RG-6 cable. In other words, the larger cables don't carry a higher grade signal, but they will carry a signal farther before it starts to degrade. That being said, most precision mini-coax should work out to distances ~ 250 feet. So it is plenty in most home situations. It is generally cheaper than the larger cables because of the smaller amounts of copper and other materials needed.

CCS does equal copper clad steel. It is also NOT what you want if you expect to distribute HD signals (or really ANY line level signal). Definitely look for something that is labeled as "Precision" cable which is normally a solid copper core (not copper coated steel), and better braiding.

so this should get the job done. I compare the specifications with other quality wire and it matches well. http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=10976

Yup, that should work just fine.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the smaller the wire, the harder it is to terminate. That's not to say that mini coax is all the difficult (because it is not), but it is worth mentioning.

Back