• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Mini ITX

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone here running their Home Automation software on an mini ITX platform? I assume you would have to rely on USB a lot, but the size of these boards allows you to build a nice home automation appliance.

If you haven't heard about mini ITX yet, check out http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/ for a cool example of the stuff you can do with these boards, you can find many more projects by going to their main site.

justonemore

I know skibum was kicking the idea around. Or at least talking about it. I know he didn't proceed though. Not sure why. Guess he didn't see a real need.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
to me personally, no, but I love the idea of a cluster of little mini itx boxes, all dedicated to home automation, backing each other up and balancing the load :) I guess I am too much of a geek when it comes to this stuff lol.

Joshua

I'm the type that would rather have a rackmount full of servers in my basement than those things.

Rackmounts just look so cool :unsure:

-=Xjk=-

ive been keeping a keen eye on these motherboards and have been wanting to buy 1 for a long time

that time will be sometime this week i will post how it fairs up as a homeseer server

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Hey welcome to the site! That's cool, definitely let us know how it runs and what kind of hardware/case you got.

pete

electron said:
I have lots of rack mount stuff, just no rack to mount it in ;(
. . . you can use almost anything to fabricate a rack . . .

. . . when I framed my wiring closet I just spaced two of the studs the right distance . . . rack mount stuff is now flush mount . . . back of equip is accessible from the storage area behind (that I robbed from to make the closet) . . .

. . . but you could use metal angle (I've seen this done inside an old stereo cabinet on the net somewhere), square aluminum stock, or uni-strut (a bit overkill, maybe) . . .

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

smee

Rack rails are pretty inexpensive. They can be mounted to just about anything.

Here's an example of some rails:
Rack rails at www.partsexpress.com
These are steel rails and they come in several lengths. You can also get aluminum rails. Note that both types work fine with any rack-mount components - but the screw threads are usually different.