Mini-review: Distributed Audio using ESS modules

sunknee

After a lot of research of trying to find the best multi room audio distribution system I have come across a solution that works perfectly for my needs that I'd like to share with you. I looked at ABus as well as other solutions but did not like the costs and I wanted something that I could easily control by computer or home automation. I had an existing Yamaha 797 100 watts per channel amp that I wanted to drive 8 sets of speakers (4 ceiling in the house and 4 outdoors) for background music only. The ESS modules that I purchased from Ray at Home Automation Control Systems:

http://hacs.com/

worked perfectly. They fit between the receiver speaker output and the speakers. I have then installed at my basement wiring panel. I bought the modules that are fully controllable and have interfaced my Ocelot to communicate with it by IR. I will be playing with the serial interface on the ESS and Housebot to create software remote controls to my audio for around the house. The 8 modules plus control module fit perfectly in a standard rack mount 19" configuration. Each module is the same size and made of steel.

Some ESS modules that are sold provide fixed volume levels while others allow you to change the volume levels for a pair of speakers independently. You can mix and match the modules to your specific needs. Using the ESS IR remote or through home automation software (by serial communications or through IR) you can control all your distributed room speakers at the same time or individually. You can even create downloadable macros into the ESS that sets all the volume levels of your speakers to the desired levels with one command. Then you use optional IR remote to have full control to macros as well as each speaker. Also, the ESS modules provide full impedance matching for protection and provide a constant level of volume to a pair of speakers despite turning off others. If I heard Ray correctly, he tells me that the ESS will handle about 200 watts per channel max. I have plenty of volume with my setup.

The cost for 8 modules, controller, 2 remotes, transformer and shipping was around $500. Ray even shipped it in a custom built wooden box so as not to sustain any damage!

Ray dealt with me in a highly professional manner and was quick to answer any questions that I had.

Very impressed.

Sonny
(for the record, I am not affiliated in any way with Ray or his business)

Thanks for the excellent review. Do note the following on the ESS page. That is pretty good customer service.

Anytime upgrade/downgrade! Pay/get refund of difference! Only pay shipping charges both ways! Modules or complete assembly! AB8SS included Ask for details

Thanks for the review, Sunknee. I have been very impressed with Ray and his AB8SS, and I've been looking forward to the release of the ESS line. As soon as someone does a HomeSeer plugin I'll order.

So can the volume be controlled both locally (via knob on ESS) as well as remotely (via IR or serial)?

Mark

So can the volume be controlled both locally (via knob on ESS) as well as remotely (via IR or serial)?

No you get either local or remote. But if there were vol up/down buttons on the ones with remote volume then it would work. Volume level LEDs would also be cool. Alternatively, you use an amplifier with volume control and then you get local + remote at the amp.

(suggestions sent to hacs)

If I bought the ESS modules with remote volume control (impedance matching) and ran this output into my existing wall-mount volume controls (also impedance matching) in each room - does it work? I understand that volume will be limited by the lowest setting of the two controls, but nothing blows up?

Mark

I think that would work as long as you set the volume controls to 1X if they have a multiplier jumper. This would simulate one pair at the usually 4-8 ohms. The only problem I think is that your volume may be reduced going through two volume controls. Please feel free to email Ray at hacs.com. I had Cat5 running to my future wall volume controls for possible A-Bus and replaced a few with Buffalo Electronics IR receivers: http://www.buffaloelectronics.com/infrared/ir250.htm

These take the IR signal through the Cat5 to my wiring closet where the ESS stuff resides along with an amplifier. I also captured a few macro codes into my Harmony Remote to control the speakers as groups. One macro turns on all my in house speakers (4 of them) on to a predefined volume. Another macro turns the outdoor speakers speakers on as a group, etc. The macro utility (which you can download for free) programs the macros easily into the ESS. I can also turn my in house speakers by pressing F1 on the Elk keypad (sends a serial command to the ocelot which send the IR to turn on my amp and the ESS module). I guess you can even blast the music by creating a rule in Elk to do that once an entry alarm is triggered.

As the prices of UMPC http://www.umpcportal.com/products/ devices drop over the next few years, I envision having small thin units hanging on the walls and on tables so that I can have more local control for the speakers and all my other home automation stuff. This will be in addition to control with my Blackberry and other smartphones. I don't like to get into a lot of costly proprietary devices.

Sonny

Homeseer and ESS.

I plan on ordering what I need over the next few days. If no-one has started an HS plugin I will . I've created a HS plugin for the Caddx panel and this doesn't seem that difficult. And like the Caddx plugin it would be free. I will post both here and in the HS forums once I am ready to get started which will probably be a couple of weeks. If anyone else starts the plugin let me know because I would rather not duplicate efforts.

Mark S.
I emailed Ray and promptly received this reply to having the ESS with existing volume controls:
Sonny,
Two possible problems.
1. ALL autotransformers load the amplifier more at low frequencies than higher.
A typical 50 watt autotransformer will only pass 6-10 watts at 20 hz before it over heats.
Having two in series may be more of a problem at 20hz

2. Frequency response on high end starts falling off with two in series but does not load the amp.

For the most part it should not be a problem.

Ray
Hope that helps,
Sonny

Homeseer and ESS.

I plan on ordering what I need over the next few days. If no-one has started an HS plugin I will . I've created a HS plugin for the Caddx panel and this doesn't seem that difficult. And like the Caddx plugin it would be free. I will post both here and in the HS forums once I am ready to get started which will probably be a couple of weeks. If anyone else starts the plugin let me know because I would rather not duplicate efforts.

Awesome news. I have a couple ESS modules and would love them to be controllable via Homeseer.

Ray has posted all of the Serial commands on his site so that should help quite a bit.

http://www.hacs.com/essall.php

Back