Modems, Routers & Switches Oh My...

dbinaz

Ya, i know, cheesy title... but any who...

Wondering how ppl with structured wiring cans have their networking stuff set up and the sizes of switches (ports) you use etc.?

D

Several different ways, depends on how many terminations you have and how flexible you want it to be. One way is to run all endpoints to a patch panel and then the panel to the source. If its only a few and data only you can just go direct. In the small retrofit install I did with only a few terms, I just have a 5 port switch in a separate can. You can see the pics as referenced in your other post. For a new install I would lean toward the patch panel or punch down approach.

I have a little more than a few. :eek:

I want to be very flexible and clean as possible. It's on On-Q 42" Plus http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/lang/en/pid/1149

I also have more cat5 at the top of the can for the house speakers and vol controls. That was a diff sub, so they couldn't go into the other subs can, So flippin stupid. :angry:

I ordered a 16 port switch, and I will use my existing linksys broadband cable modem/router. I still need to order all my Elk (or HAI so confused :angry: )

So a patch panel will fit in there or is it a patch panel meant for SW cans?

D

Attachments

• Inside_Structured_Wiring_Panel__Small___2_.jpg
    Inside_Structured_Wiring_Panel__Small___2_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 64
I commented in an earlier thread that I thought that can was too small for everything you want to do (at least neat and nice). You do have some options, like a can extender which makes the can like 2" deeper and in most cases will allow you to layer stuff in front and back. You may not have the luxury for patch panels and may need to do a simple compact distribution block. If the walls were still open and you had room on the walls you may have had other options. You still may depending on the wall and how much room you have.

I agree that it's likely goig to be too tight to get everything you want in that one can. It's probably enough room to do your Ethernet and Video distribution nicely, but you may want a second ca of the same size to hold your Elk or HAI equipment as that can easily take an entire can of it's own.

D. - I can see through that wall in the photo so it doesn't appear that the back side has been covered yet. If the picture is recent and you still have the opportunity (and budget, and space) you may want to consider adding another enclosure and moving all your security wiring into it?

If you do add a second, be sure to place some conduit between the two so you can pass wires.

Cheers,
Paul

ya, that is an old pic. Even at that point, I would not have been "allowed" to do any changes. I can however, cut the drywall and put another in there. I don't have a problem with that.

D

I agree with the rest. Keep your network/video in that can and add another 42" for the security stuff.

I currently have 2 42" cans, and am considering mounting a 14" one and moving all of my power (batteries, 12V power supply, etc) to that. And I don't have anywhere close to the number of drops you do.

You can never have enough space.

I assume that it's not too hard to add another? Just cut, route and screw? If I add another 42", then the power will be right below. I can just steal it from there and plug up that outlet cutout.

Ok, now I have been looking around at stuff ppl had and didn't realize there is stuff I need.

Is there a list or can someone give some examples of stuff I need for basic setup? ie. network/video distribution panel? etc.
And anything else I need for the setup.

I will be going with Elk M1. I have Vonage, so I don't need the phone drops.

Derek

Derek,

If you are not going to have any land lines, a basic setup would be like this.

I'm a fan of punching down the incoming lines and using patch cables to do the connecting. For me, it provides an easy way to change and tweak things. However, you can terminate the incoming lines with RJ-45 plugs and for go the below module.

8 pork network interface - 363486-01

You can get OnQ's switch and router, they will fit in the can no problem, but they are overpriced. If you don't mind a little more work, get a switch and router you like and use industrial velcro to secure them. Use 1 or 3 foot patch cords to connect the network interface module with the switch and the switch with the router.

For simple RF (cable and antenna) distrubution you can use:

2x16 enhanced video - 364522-01 (or however many ports you use). You want an amplified block because of the large number of splits. You can use a 1x1 amp then go to a passive block, but it's just more connections and modules for the same thing.

If you do satilite, it will require a multiswitch.

Power strip - 364266-01

Lastly, I'm not sure if OnQ has a mounting plate for the Elk, but if they do, you could pick that up.

Hope this helps.

--Jamie

I believe ELK has a mounting plate they sell for most OnQ enclosures. Check Automated Outlets site. Its very inexpensive if I remember correctly.

royalj7 said:
8 pork network interface - 363486-01
Thanks Jamie...

That line made me laugh this morning. Something about the word "pork" i guess. :lol:

Anyway, I was thinking about it, and I think I should distribute the land line to the jacks. I will also have a 2nd line for fax. I was looking at all the OnQ voice stuff, but so confusing. I will prolly have about 8 jacks for phone. What would you recommend in this case?

For the 8-Port Network Interface Module, I assume you just add more modules if you need them?

I ordered a 16-port netgear gigabit switch and I will be using my linksys cable modem/router.

As for video, I will be doing DishNetwork and possibly an OTA antenna. But I also want the video from my security camera puter to be modulated and available on all TV's as well.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

Yea, I guess a 8 pork network probably wouldn't fit into the 42" can :lol:

For the network module, you are correct, just add as you need to get the number of data drops you have. They are just used for a reliable termination point and easy of swtichthing things around.

For the Dish you will need a mulitswtich, something like 364701-01. It has a non-amplified input for your CATV. You might need a notch filter and/or single amplifier to do that. What camera software do you have?

I've really never liked OnQ's voice modules, I think Leviton has them whipped here. But to distrubute phone service you could use:

364604-01 as the base and if you need more than 8 locations use the expansion module, 364559-01.

--Jamie

Yea, saw that. Looks like with what they've terminated already, they went with the less configable std. telcom module. If you have two phone lines you will have to terminate the correct Cat5 pair at the jack, or use a more expensive two line phone. No biggie really, but the Anyline module I mentioned above allows you to pick what pair goes to each jack. The video also looks unamplified, which I kind of question, but looking at the one picture of the whole can, it looks like you have quite a bit more wire to terminate, so things might be ok. The white coax terminated could be the return line from the wall plates, which would not get amplification before the combiner. So really, can't tell much until the whole pannel is trimed out :( Glad you got power though. Looks like the installer is neat, which is a good sign. Keep us updated and good luck.

--Jamie

Back