modifying scenes with a lumina controller

EllisConCo

I have a newly installed HAI lumina system and interconnected Hi-Fi2.  I have programmed all of my switches and have the systems talking to each other and working well.  I am having a problem modifying the room scenes and wonder if someone may be able to help (I am a newbie to this).

I did not purchase the room controllers or home controller.  I have PC access for programming, which I have successfully done and am using Snap Link for IOS on my IPhone and IPad to operate the system.  I have seen multiple references to modifying a scene by selecting it for that room, manually adjusting the lighting levels and then having it "remembered" by using the room controller with the appropriate button press (i.e. scene A, press five times rapidly).  Since I don't have a room controller, this is not an option for me.  I tried this method with Snap Link but it just goes back to the pre-set levels (All lights on, A=100%, B=75%, C=50%, D=25%).  I also tried doing the same thing with the keypad but the adjustments did not save.  I have searched and cannot find a similar post that would help me with this.

I do have a room name in the first position of each room (i.e Rm1, address 1 = Living Room) but don't have a device assigned to it since I have no room controller to assign.

I wonder if I cannot change the predefined scenes because I do not have a device assigned to poition #1?  If so, might I be able to change the pre-set scenes using UPStart?  The only way I have been able to successfully do this with PC Access is to program an "If Living Room Scene A then" and modify the lighting loads at that time, which is a pretty sorry way to do it.  All of the lights come on and then they reduce or go off based on my "then" conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

You can change the scenes using UPStart. The Lumina controller allows for 4 scenes and 8 devices per room. It really is just a numbering scheme that correlates with UPB. You actually need UPStart to change advanced settings on the switch.

Forgot to mention the UPStart version on the HAI site is outdated. I downloaded it from http://www.pulseworx.com/upstart_download_.php

Thanks for the help.  I had tried to run UPStart but wasn't successful due to the lack of proper cabling.  Neither of my laptops have a serial port and the only old computer I had that did have a serial port would not recognize the the PIM.  I have the 36A05-2 but I purchased (locally) a serial to USB adaptor cable that refuses to work with UPStart.  I ordered the Keyspan adaptor recommended by HAI and should get it this week, so I am looking forward to getting up and running with UPStart!

I have an older TrippLite Serial to USB adapter which I used to use. I ended up with two PIMs, one connected to the HAI controller and the other to a Sena LS110 serial to ethernet adapter. They have a virtual serial port program that you install on your PC. I've had this setup for 9 months and it has worked every time I've opened UPStart. The other benefit is having the same point of reference as the HAI controller without having to stand in the closet with the laptop.

At this point I have an extra PIM that I just plugged in at a convenient location, though that one is slated for the Rain8 UPB Pro sprinkler controller that I bought (which I also am unable to connect and set-up without the serial to USB cord).  I like the idea of the Sensa setup, as it removes the necessity of a hardwired connection to the computer.

Thanks again for your help!

RSW, thanks again for your help. I am just putting this together and have much to learn, though I have learned TONS in the last week. In regard to my initial inquiry about scenes, I purchased Haiku today and it was a snap (no pun intended) to modify my room scenes on the IPad. I still can't see a way to do that with SnapLink. Once I get UpStart cabled I will be able to do it from there as well. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to wall mount (surface or flush) an IPad, and if I do, I'm liking Haiku better than SnapLink.

I'm digging into multiple subjects, but next on the list is getting my garage door opener into the system. I've seen several scenarios described, ranging from hard wiring a remote control to installing relays and hard wiring to the wall switch or directly to the opener. I am really grateful for all those like you (and this site) willing to help newbies like myself. I'll need to install a contact and also decide whether to wire the contact into my security system and monitor through HAI or go straight to HAI. I'm leaning to the security system, since that will prevent the system being armed directly from a keypad while the garage door is open.

I have a Digital Watchdog CCTV Surveillance System that I would love to integrate into the HAI but not finding anything on that subject. For now, I will access that system separately (and remotely) with its respective software.

I've got the bug.......

The Haiku app is great! My garage door contact is wired to a HAI OmniPro zone and I use a relay wired directly to the opener to open / close the door. I do have it on a separate area so I can arm / disarm with program logic. Which security system do you have? The HAI Lumina integrates with DSC and will monitor the zone status.

I have a garage button programed in the HAI controller automation rules to open / close the door. In Haiku I marked the button as a favorite, which are accessible by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Works great as I have a soft top Jeep so I don't have to worry about leaving a garage opener in it.

Yes, I bought the SnapLink for IOS ($25) last week before I became aware of Haiku (through the forums) this week.  I went ahead and bought Haiku yesterday (another $50) and I think I do prefer it to SnapLink but have yet to fully learn how to use it.  I am waiting to get everything connected and operating before I make too many decisions that later I might wish I had done differently.  I think that I may mount an IPad in my kitchen in a flush mount and leave it on Haiku as an interface in addition to my Iphone and current IPad (which will stay portable) but am just not sure that it is worth the expense to have a semi-permanent mount in the wall that does that same thing that my IPhone/IPad does (though I like the concept of having the flush mount controller).  I am not planning on using any room or house controllers at this time unless a compelling reason arises to purchase them.

I also have a DSC alarm system.  I am getting the part today to interface the control panel into the Lumina system (my profile says Omni II because they don't have Lumina as a choice).   I didn't have a door contact put on the garage door (hindsight is 20/20) so I have a wireless contact coming in that I am going to connect directly to the Alarm System to monitor garage door status (open/close).  That way I won't be able to set the alarm at bedtime from the keypad if I have accidentally left the garage door open.  I have an eight relay board (LV 19A00-1) coming which I plan to use to open and close the garage door.  I have a LiftMaster Garage Door Opener and recorded the model # this AM to do some homework on connecting the relay.

Connecting the garage door opener should be simple, unless you have the opener keypad on the wall with the LCD screen. From the HAI relay hookup the NO terminals to the keypad terminals on the opener. Create a button in PCAccess to turn the relay on for 1 second. This will short the terminals on the opener activating it. However if you have the LCD screen keypad it will loose power momentarily, which resets the time. This is why you will read about others soldering wires directly to the keypad.

RSW, I got my DSC alarm integrated and can monitor zones and act on events when a zone changes but cannot get the alarm to arm or disarm with SnapLink.  It has an interface to allow this but it does not respond when I put in my code (I have a 4 digit code and it is looking for a 6 digit code).  It seems like the DSC system is communicating with Lumina but Lumina is not communicating with the DSC (or the DSC is not recogniizing it).

Any advice?

I haven't integrated a DSC with a HAI Lumina before. It looks like DSC allows you to have a 4 or 6 digit code. I wonder if there is setting to change on the Lumina in PC Access to select the code length. Or maybe try creating a 6 digit code on the DSC to test.

Back