Monitor master bath frameless glass door?

wkearney99

We've got a steam shower in the master bath.  It's got a Mr. Steam unit and that can be triggered remotely by either it's wireless remote or via a contact closure.  I plan on using a Lutron RA2 module for the closure.  

Trouble is if you fire it up remotely and someone has left the door open it'll let all the steam out, to condense on the drywall outside.  Yeah, I know, #firstworldproblems and all that.

The door is frameless, in the middle of the wall and there's a flipper on the top.  So there's no conveniently close position to put a sensor.   And of course it's all been tiled, leaving no easy way to get behind anything.  Had I thought of this ahead of time I'd have done something like put section of conduit or something under the threshold for a magnetic switch, and then put a magnet on the door somewhere.  Too late for that now.  I don't need this 'bad enough' to bust open 24" tiles and 30mm quartz threshold stone.

I don't yet have the automation/security stuff selected.  That's a back/forth between an Elk or an Omni.  I'm leaning toward the HAI if just for their somewhat more effective Russound integration.

So I'm wondering, what else should I consider?   I'm not sure a sensor on the glass would be small enough to not look out of place.  Any way to do something like using a motion sensor or something that can 'see' if the door's closed or not?  I do have other walls in line of sight on which I'd be OK with putting something.

Thoughts?

Maybe an ultrasonic sensor that measures distance on a wall looking toward the door?  Might not be accurate enough to detect if the door is open slightly though...

Humidity sensor outside that shuts down the steam before it causes damage?

tiny rare earth magnet siliconed to the door and tiny reed switch w/ very thin wires hidden in a bead of caulk so that you can then transition to in-wall wiring or a transmitter mounted outside the tiled area.

Back