Monster Cable, Logitech, Intermatic (new Z-Wave)!

ChrisWalker

Yesterday, Logitech released their new Harmony 890/895 remotes with Z-Wave built right in!

And Monster (i.e. Monster Cable) has now announced that they are partnering with Zensys to create Monster Z-Wave products. These should be awesome.

And Intermatic is showing off their new Z-Wave "Home Settings Pro" line, which includes real 3-ways, virtual switches, PIRs, nice remotes, etc.

Additionally, I hear that ACT has new products coming, and Leviton has announced a leadership role in bringing new Z-Wave products to market.

[Oh, plus of course ControlThink is releasing new Z-Wave software products which are unlike anything you've seen, and which can control both small homes and entire complexes running Z-Wave].

This is going to be an _awesome_ fall season!

Chris

If you have any links (the Harmony and Monster Cable news has been mentioned on the front page) or pictures, please feel free to post them. It definitely sounds like manufactures are pushing Z-wave a little harder now. I just hope that some of the issues, such as the 'forced' remote control upgrades in order to support a new device, will be gone, since those are major showstoppers imo. But this is good news for sure.

electron said:
If you have any links (the Harmony and Monster Cable news has been mentioned on the front page) or pictures, please feel free to post them.  It definitely sounds like manufactures are pushing Z-wave a little harder now.  I just hope that some of the issues, such as the 'forced' remote control upgrades in order to support a new device, will be gone, since those are major showstoppers imo.  But this is good news for sure.
Here's a good start. I can grab photos of the new Logitech remote, but I'm guessing those are already linked to from the front page.

I have attached photos of the upcoming HomeSettings Pro line, which I obtained off the Internet (and therefore, I can post) ;)

The In-Wall Master Controller and Multi-Button Wall Controllers are both very cool scene controllers.

The "Duplex Receptacle" is actually a photo of the front of a duplex receptacle, and also shows how the switch rockers are replacable on the HomeSettings Pro switches.

The Wireless PIR Sensor is a very nice PIR sensors. Enough said.

The Handheld Remote with Smartbase is a _very_ nice Z-Wave remote, which will support some new Z-Wave functionality never before seen in a remote.

The Wall Switch is actually one of a number of switches. There are virtual wall switches, relay and dimmer switches, 3-way master switches and slaves, and maybe even matching non-smart-switches to match the decor. They come in a variety of colors, including white, almond, and ivory.

Here's more info on the product line, direct from the source:
http://www.intermatic.com/images/news/HomeSettings_Pro.pdf

I've asked lots of questions of various vendors at the shows, and I can share anything that's "public" knowledge. I can't wait to see what the other vendors are going to announce soon :)

BTW, you can use the original ACT or Sylvania Z-Wave remote controller with our software, with support for all Z-Wave devices. You just wouldn't be able to support thermostats. And with our new hardware and software products (and Logitech's remote, hopefully), you won't have to swap out hardware any more.

Chris

Attachments

• homesettings_pro_photos.doc
    54 KB · Views: 74
Are Z-Wave switches transmitters too? In other words, if I turn a light on manually at the switch, will I be able to track that with a controller?

You can not track it with the controller. In fact when you control it from the switch the controller gets a little out of wack because it may think that the device is off when it already on and if you send it a command via the remote it may send the on command first and then you have to push the button again to get it to turn off.

The only way to check the status of the switches currently is to poll them with software such as CQC.

There are transmitter switches that allow you to control other Z-wave devices from that switch. These are typically used in 3-way setups such as hall lights.

The only device right now that you can view settings on the remote is the ZTT000 Z-wave thermostat and it requires remote version 1.26. If you are thinking of getting into Z-wave I would suggest checking out UPB and Insteon first since many people seem to be more happy then with Z-wave.

I'm getting on the plane, so I can't say much, but wow--my faith in the Z-Wave platform was certainly reinforced and refreshed today.

I played with Intermatic's new HomeSettings Pro line, which works really really, well. They have built so many simple things into those products (like how the power receptacle automatically turns on if you switch a lamp on at the lamp)--you guys are going to love them. And they're planning on having them available by the new year (as in late 4th quarter or early January).

And I got a copy of Leviton's Z-Wave product map today. They too will have a whole slew of products out soon, including 3-ways (including 3-way dimmers) and high-wattage dimmers. Incredible.

Also, I spoke with ACT this morning and they indicated that their thermostat actually sends out its status (such as temperature) whenever it changed, so it doesn't need to be polled. I haven't tested it yet, but how cool is that?

Plus Monster Cable and Logitech will be shipping products, among others . . .

I picked up a bit of literature and have some photos, but needless to say the Z-Wave product "wave" is finally here.

Putting away the computer for the flight . . .

Chris

For a quick update, here's a bit more info on Leviton's new line:

The new Leviton VIZIA-RF line of Z-Wave enabled lighting control products includes:

* 15 amp switch (single pole or 3-way)
* 600 watt dimmer with LED level (single pole or 3-way)
* 1000 watt dimmer with LED level (single pole or 3-way)
* 1000 watt magnetic low voltage dimmer (presumably same design)
* virtual/transmitter rocker switch
* remote dimmer switch (3-way dimmer slave)
* 15 amp plug-in appliance module
* 300 watt plug-in dimmer module
* 4-button scene controller with IR remote capability (yes, IR)
* but wait there's more . . . :(

And Intermatic actually had their entire new line on display for people to play with. My favorite feature (other than the cool pulsating UI on some of their buttons, and the really smooth coordination between their scene controllers and devices) is their Z-Wave power receptacle. It can be turned off and on via remote or the button on it, but it will also _automatically_ turn on when it detects a power load from a lamp. Now that's cool.

Chris

Sounds like the Z-Wave product line is finally filling out to the point where it's somewhat usable. I'd still like to see some integration points like PowerFlash and Universal Module capability, wired-in modules, etc. But it's getting better.

Chris, I'm not sure why you're so excited about the "local control" feature that has been on sub-$10 X-10 lamp modules for years, and just about every other lamp module I can think of. I consider that a necessity. I would have been really disappointed if I bought one and it couldn't do that.

markthomas said:
Chris, I'm not sure why you're so excited about the "local control" feature that has been on sub-$10 X-10 lamp modules for years, and just about every other lamp module I can think of. I consider that a necessity. I would have been really disappointed if I bought one and it couldn't do that.
True. As you said, I'm mostly excited because Z-Wave is _starting to support_ most of the functionality we all want to put in our homes, but with the added reliability and ease-of-installation that Z-Wave offers.

In the next year, even more of the device types that we need will be filled out, making Z-Wave a truly viable product to use house-wide.

Chris

Regardless of technology, I always hated the local control feature. It allows a module to be turned on, but not off. Therefore a guest it likely to turn the lamp on manually after futzing with it for a while, then later turn the lamp off manually, preventing further automation.

When a Z-wave module is tricked on by local control, does it transmit the change to an HA controller or does it need to be polled?

WayneW said:
Regardless of technology, I always hated the local control feature. It allows a module to be turned on, but not off. Therefore a guest it likely to turn the lamp on manually after futzing with it for a while, then later turn the lamp off manually, preventing further automation.

When a Z-wave module is tricked on by local control, does it transmit the change to an HA controller or does it need to be polled?
I wonder if that feature will be configurable via Z-Wave.

Regarding transmitting the change to an HA controller, I can ask. ACT told me that their new thermostat sends updates out (so it doesn't need to be polled constantly). The outlet is an outlet, not a light switch, and there's a good chance they could transmit status automatically as well!

Chris

Back