Motion Detector Solutions

Squintz

Since I heard the price of a z-wave motion sensor is going to be $99 I need to start investigating cheaper solutions even if it means running wires. I am using HomeSeer to interface with 27 Z-wave switches and I would like to use motion sensor to automate those switches. So what solutions are available.

I don't mind running wire as long as its low-voltage. Also I want the signal to reach HomeSeer as fast as possible or at least fast enough so that the delay doesnt drive me crazy.

What is the cheapest way to get the signal from the motion sensor into HomeSeer. I.E. Ocelot or Elk M1... Those are too expensive for me at this moment and are probably overkill. So is there a single piece of hardware that will allow me to add motion detectors to my setup.

I have tried the X-10 wireless detectors with a cheap RF reciever and it works but I couldnt get it working reliably. I was told that the w800 would solve this issue but even thats expensive. It may be worth the investment though since the Z-wave motion detectors are so much.

Does UPB or Insteon make detectors yet that are fast and reliable?

There are no UPB detectors that I am aware of...

I use these Optex detectors in my house and have been really pleased.
Optex Dual Mode

I have mine wired into my Caddx security system which then tells my HomeVision Pro when motion has been detected.

I have several Visonic CLIP motion detectors, like this one: CLIP-1. They seem to be pretty popular. I've only played with them, though - None of the 3 I've got are currently wired. They run about $50 from www.smarthome.com but you can find them significantly cheaper other places.

If you are going to wired sensors to save money, you may find that it's more expensive than you think. www.x10.com, with their extremely cheap wireless sensors, have spoiled us when it comes to prices (but maybe not performance :) ).

There are numerous cheap ways to get this data into HomeSeer or other programs. The cheapest is probably through the parallel port (assuming your computer has one). You can search on the HS board (or others) to see how to do it. Most motion detectors act like a relay or a switch. When active, all they do is complete a circuit. So, they are pretty easy to interface.

UPB does not have a motion detector but they do have this cool I/O module that accepts dry contact inputs sort of like an X-10 universl module. There must be some inexpensive wireless motion detectors where the receiver base provides a plain contact output. (Maybe Linear makes one?) I think the UPB module handles 2 or 3 channels so an RF base that does multiple channels could help keep th cost down. This may not be the best answer for Squintz but maybe feasible for people already committed to UPB?

They are very reliable, I have a bunch of them installed, and a 3zone processor. I need to finish up my rewiring job so I Can show you guys :)

Im not sure how but i forgot all about the floor sensors. Electron do you have some images of the floor sensors and the installation. Also what to you use to detect the floor sensors. They are probably a better idea because people wont be able to see them which will add to the "How'd you do that" effect :)

upstatemike said:
UPB does not have a motion detector but they do have this cool I/O module that accepts dry contact inputs sort of like an X-10 universl module. There must be some inexpensive wireless motion detectors where the receiver base provides a plain contact output. (Maybe Linear makes one?) I think the UPB module handles 2 or 3 channels so an RF base that does multiple channels could help keep th cost down. This may not be the best answer for Squintz but maybe feasible for people already committed to UPB?
That would be the SAI UMI-32. It's got 3 inputs and 2 outputs. However, only 2 of the three can use contact closures. They all can do voltage sense however. I'm using this module in my HVAC system. It's very nice if you can get your hands on one. SAI has a pretty big backlog at the present time so expect to wait a couple of weeks for one.

Back