motion sensors in the heat acting weird

hgupta1

I have a motion sensor in the shed that recently started going off in the late afternoons. The Elk alarm chimes very quickly several times in succession, faster than it normally does when it actually detects a person.

I am guessing that heat is causing the problem since it probably gets to over 120 degrees in there and it only seems to happen in the afternoons.

Do motion detectors fail at high temperatures? Is there something else that I should look for?

I tried using cheap X-10 motion sensors outside in the heat here in Las Vegas and never could get them working right. Seems like they would always go off, though they would work indoors.

Don't know if this helps any or not. :huh:

PIR motion detectors are triggered by temperature changes detected by their infrared lens. This temperature differences can be as subtle as a breeze of hotter air.

There are better quality or less sensitive PIR detectors, but in cases like yours I would recommend using dual technology (Infrared and Microwave) motion detectors. However, they are more expensive (starting in the $40s).

rfdesq said:
What about a PIR/Microwave dual detector to avoid the heat issue?
Yes, as Elcano stated, they are way to expensive. I would like to possibly use the Maxbotix Ultrasonic Sensors when Gerry develops a PIC interface for them (details in my Water Softener Level How-To).

I'll have to just eat the cost. the shed is the only part of the house that has been burglarized before, and I don't want to buy a new lawnmower again this year so I guess I will try to get a dual sensor.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand or model?

Just a thought ........ why not put a DS10 on the door as well as using the motion sensor ?

I have used DS10's on my shed, gates and on the garage door's (big and small).

Sound switches to alarm type wave files when required.

Good luck.....

Neil

nsisman said:
Just a thought ........ why not put a DS10 on the door as well as using the motion sensor ?

I have used DS10's on my shed, gates and on the garage door's (big and small).

Sound switches to alarm type wave files when required.

Good luck.....

Neil
The doors to the shed are kind of flimsy, and don't close quite right in the summer, which rules out door contacts. Also the last time my garage got broken into, the crooks broke the window to get in, and then kicked the door open to get out.

Also, I've had mediocre results with the ELK reading wireless x10 signals through the w800rf.

I'll give the optex sensors a try.

Is there a cheap IR beam sensor on the market? This could be installed across the opening. Could you get some garage door sensors to work? I would guess that they work the same as an IR device. I will let the experts chime in.

well, I changed out the motion sensor for a PIR/microwave sensor and so far there were no problems... its only got to 99 degrees today (yesterday was 102!)

Thanks for the help!

What brand and model did you decide to go with? Also, would you continue to report back. I have some potential harsh installs coming up.

BraveSirRobbin said:
How did you do this so fast (order, receive, install)?!? :eek:
I'm embarassed to admit that I cheated on Martin and went to a local dealer. (I'm sorry martin!). As a result, I way overpaid for a Napco dual tech sensor. I don't have the exact model number in front of me, but I am happy with it so far. (its the dual tech with 100 lb pet immunity.)

Initially I was going to order a new motion sensor from Automated Outlet, but I really needed to be sure that everything was working smoothly before I went out of town. I didn't want my family to have to deal with bypassing a zone or false alarms. So I decided to get one from a local dealer instead of rushing an order and not getting a chance to fully test the new sensor.

It was an expensive purchase just for peace of mind, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Back