Multi-zone HVAC control

htsource

Currently I have HAI for HVAC, and I wonder if it's possible to use additional temperature sensors to monitor the temperature in different part of the house (i.e. top floor vs. main floor) and turn on/off the central AC accordingly.

In the winter time the house is pretty even as far as temperature goes, but in the summer, the top floor is warmer and when we're all in bed, it's the worst. Was wondering to install temperature sensors or another thermostat (if necessary) and control the HVAC based on time of day and read different sensors. I know we don't have zones so if top floor is cool, the main floor will be frosting :rolleyes: Should have thought of this before we moved and it was a new house construction! Should have planned ahead.... Oh well.

Thank.

Should have planned ahead.... Oh well.

Thank.

You sure should have!!! Not easy to do now, you can't just add a thermostat, you have to actually zone off the air ducts. This means adding temperature controlled dampers everywhere!
Hopefully someone else will have an easier solution.

Hmm, that's not good :rolleyes:

Our basement is not finished yet, so can see all the duct work for the main floor. Probably still a chance to do some work there without ripping walls?

With the HAI tstats, you can add additional temp sensors to them and have the temperature reading averaged if that helps.

An alternative to dampers might be automated ceiling registers. We use them here in one of the rooms.

I'd like a solution for this also. I have a ranch and would like to create "sleep zones" and "living zones" on my 1 zone system. The living area is usually cooler than the sleeping area. I guess it requires redesigning the trunk line in the attic and adding electric damper controls.

You can buy an HVAC zone controller and add additional thermostats, then control them with your automation hardware/software:
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4150

This was more than I wanted to spend at the time, so I just bought several temperature probes and two controllable thermostats. I wrote code for the ELk to operate as and HVAC zone controller. I can now use time of day, user inputs, arming states, etc to turn on temperature controls based on rooms.

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4150

Currently I have HAI for HVAC, and I wonder if it's possible to use additional temperature sensors to monitor the temperature in different part of the house (i.e. top floor vs. main floor) and turn on/off the central AC accordingly.

In the winter time the house is pretty even as far as temperature goes, but in the summer, the top floor is warmer and when we're all in bed, it's the worst. Was wondering to install temperature sensors or another thermostat (if necessary) and control the HVAC based on time of day and read different sensors. I know we don't have zones so if top floor is cool, the main floor will be frosting :p Should have thought of this before we moved and it was a new house construction! Should have planned ahead.... Oh well.

Thank.

you can try reducing the flow to the downstairs, either with volume dampers (should be where a branch duct comes off the main trunk) or at the registers . . this will help with the general uneven cooling . . may or may not have to be 're-adjusted' for heating season . .

you can add another stat for your sleeping area, then use a relay to switch which one is active, but this will just run your system longer to satisfy that stat and your downstairs will be 'over cooled' . .

if you go with 'automated registers' I would just install a few (don't do more than half) downstairs and close them at night (this plus the dual stat setup is probably the best DIY price/performance option) . .

best option is to install zoning dampers and controller, but this should have been done during construction as it may not be possible/optimal as a retro-fit

Pete C

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, I'm going to reduce the flow to all registers on the main floor for now. This should at least even out the temperature during the day. Will find out all the duct flow to see if installing dampers through the basement is possible.

Back