Need a multiple-AC/DC converter (Reduce # of Wall-Warts)

One thought about using a setup like I have.
It leaves you with a single point of failure, for a lot of equipment. Now I do have a second power supply as a spare, but what if I am not home when it occurs.

StevenE

The power supply is at the bottom right, it powers 3 cabinets and more of stuff.
Also note the fuse panel on the lower left side as this is good practice (using some type of fused distribution) when using these larger supplies.

Actually Each panel has a fused distribution point like that. And the fuses are all closely matched for the particular use.
A motion sensor doesn't really need a 10 amp fuse. :D
Yet more than a dozen motion sensors seem to need a 5 amp fuse.

StevenE

Most motion detectors draw less than a 100 ma. Usually the biggest current draw in a motion is the relay(s) inside. Some have one for an alarm circuit and others have a second for tamper/trouble. I beleive that most motions draw between 40 and 70 ma.

If I am correct in my statement above then a 2 amp fuse would be more than enough for 15 or 20 motions. I personally would segregate motions between power supplies and fuses. Same with keypads and smoke alarms. This way if there is a fault you still have some protection.

Okay,
Maybe I should have been a little more specific. :(

The Motion sensors are on thier own fuse, Standard motions sensors are about 12, there are few dual sensor and and all the LEDS are left on, plus there are 3 recievers for 3 wireless alert motions sensors.
A 3 Amp fuse kept blowing, the next size I had available was a 5.

Either way I start with the smallest fuse that I think will work after measuring, and then go up from there.

The power supply is on a large UPS and would last a while if there was a power failure.
I have thought about splitting the motion sensors between fuses and setting up an automatic redundant power supply.

But I seem to always have too many other projects to do.

StevenE

Back