Need guidance for new Elk M1G installation.

Thanks to everyone's help, I now have a better understanding of what I need to get this project started.

One last thing that has me a little confused is the operational difference between a speaker and a siren (duh). Here's what I believe to be true: a speaker simply reproduces whatever audio data is sent to it whereas a siren generates an alarm tone (steady or pulsed) when powered.

Sirens:
The primary siren is connected to OUT2.
An additional siren can be connected to OUT3 and triggered by a programming rule.
Other sirens can be connected to a powered relay driven by a programmable output (OUT7-OUT16) and triggered by a programming rule.

Speakers:
Speakers are connected to OUT1.

So here's where I get confused: the M1GSYS4 kit comes with a speaker but not a siren. So the basic kit offers nothing to connect to OUT2 a supervised output (?!?). Without a siren, how does the M1GSYS4 kit announce an alarm condition ... via the speaker? So the alarm tone is broadcasted via every speaker connected to OUT1?

Sorry for my ignorance but this is all new and my "reference" is a 12 year old, 8-zone, DSC alarm panel.

Speaker that comes with the kit is for indoor use only on Output 1. Output 2 can be either siren (voltage out) or speaker (speaker out). The indoor speaker hooked to Output 1 can announce a multitude of things and then go into alarm sounds. Output two is only alarm sounds. Now do you see why I recommended an auxiliary power supply in my first post :p . I like the ELK 4 amp supply coupled with a PD9HC power distribution module.

How are the two relay boards, M1RB and M1XOVR, used?

The M1RB appears to use the M1G's existing voltage outputs to drive its relays. However, the M1XOVR appears to be an M1RB plus it adds 8 more voltage outputs (and you need to connect it to the databus).

So it seems that if you need 8 or less relays, then an M1RB, plus the M1G's existing voltage outputs, are all that's needed. But if you need more than eight relays, you need an M1XOVR (to gain more voltage outputs) plus an M1RB to provide 16 relays. Is that about right or is there more?

So if I need to drive ten sprinkler valves, I'll need ten relays, so that means an M1XOVR plus an M1RB. Am I getting this right?

Please note that outputs 9-16 on the M1RB are relays... Outputs 7 and 8 are positive voltage outputs... You could wire in an external relay to outputs 7 and 8 to get the two other relays you need(10 sprinkler heads). This is assuming you do not need relays for other options... Don't forget about the relay output 3 on the M1 either...

The M1RB does plug into the voltage outputs on the M1/EZ8. The M1XOVR is a relay board that will plug into the M1/EZ8's 4 wire data bus. This device will give you 8 relays... You can plug a M1RB into the M1XOVR to get 8 more relays(16 total)...

Hope this helps!

Please note that outputs 9-16 on the M1RB are relays... Outputs 7 and 8 are positive voltage outputs... You could wire in an external relay to outputs 7 and 8 to get the two other relays you need(10 sprinkler heads). This is assuming you do not need relays for other options... Don't forget about the relay output 3 on the M1 either...

Ah! OK, that's good to know. Since thre are no other corrections mentioned I'll assume my understanding of how the two boards work individually and together is fundamentally correct.

Practically speaking, how many boards can be crammed into the 14" cabinet that comes with the M1GSYS4? Is there room for a Databus Hub, M1XOVR and an M1RB? Any room left over?

Sure, I'd prefer to start with a 28" cabinet but it's cheaper to get the kit instead of buying the components separately. I figure, when the time comes, I can add another 14" cabinet to accomodate expansion.

You shouldn't have a problem getting all of this into the 14" cabinet. You should be able to mount the M1RB and the M1XOVR on the Elk-SWG's(Circuit board glides) to the left and right of the M1. The DBH will come on a 3" structured wiring plate that will allow you to mount it below the M1. This will still leave enought room for you to have an 8aH battery in the bottom of the box...

The recessed box can support a speaker (using the cut-out) and the keypad. I think there's a post here where someone added pictures. NOTE: speaker needs to be provided with sound source from the ELK; you need a separate set of speaker cables for this.

OK, thanks for the tip, I found it here.
It also answers my other question; I simply need to remove the speaker from an SP12F and install it in the recessed box.

My list of parts is growing (3 sirens, 3 keypads, 1 strobe) so it looks like I will need an auxiliary power supply. What are the recommended solutions and Elk part numbers? I found the ELK-412K but Digger posted that he used something else.

The only reason I used something else was that it was for FREE (I am in the business and work for another alarm mfg)! I did not want to say the brand etc as I was not trying to steer you away from the ELK. I have never had a problem with any ELK product so I would stick with them for the PS as well.

FYI, I was able to cram an Elk M1, Data Base Hub (Retrofit), and two zone expanders in a standard box (pic below) for my friend. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would have used a larger can. :D

I wish that Elk would have thought out their mounting system a little better though. For instance if the PC board mounts were slightly thinner, I would have been able to get the two expansion boards in a vertical row (i.e. on the same side running top to bottom).

As it was I didn't use any of the stock holes for the M1 itself. I placed the expansion boards in the box, then just sort of moved the M1 around till I found the best spot for it, then marked and drilled the holes to mount it.

Attachments

• weselk.jpg
    weselk.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 67
FYI, I was able to cram an Elk M1, Data Base Hub (Retrofit), and two zone expanders in a standard box (pic below) for my friend. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would have used a larger can. :D

Wow! Thanks for the photo; it gives me a better idea of how things fit within the cabinet (or not). :lol:

I don't see the backup battery anywhere so I assume the M1G is being sourced by an external power-supply located out of view. Is it the ELK-P412K by any chance?

The battery fits in the bottom right of the can. I have been informed though that this battery/power connections is not far enough away from the cabling though (some code item).

I used an external power (four amp Elk) and have those distribution units mounted on the left (don't know the part numbers off hand).

Also, this photo was work in progress (completed unit looks a lot nicer/neater).

My thanks go out to everyone who helped me select the appropriate ELK equipment to replace my old alarm system. I've order, and received 90%, of the following items:

M1 SYS4 Kit
2 additional KP1 keypads
28" Wiring Box
4A Power supply with battery
Data Bus hub
Interior and exterior sirens
3 flush mount speakers
Ethernet interface
16 output expander board

Once all of this is operating properly, I plan to add strobes and internal Prox readers.

I'm currently installing the drywall in my new wiring closet and can't wait to get started with the M1!

Back