Need help selecting ELK M1 Gold components

datgrapedrink

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong location.  I spend a lot of time away from home and my wife wants a security system.  She wants one that will beep when a door or window is opened, and send an email/notification when the system is set off.  Me being a nerd want a system that I can use to control the lights in my house at a later date.

After doing some research I have decided on a ELK M1 Gold.  My issue is I don't know what modules I need to order initially.  I need door sensors  and a way to hook the M1 up to the internet.
I'm pretty sure I want wireless door sensors.  I see that there are a lot of options, ELK two way, Insteon, Z-Wave.  Which is the best choice and what do I need to buy in addition to the basic M1 Gold to get them to work?

What do I need to buy to get the M1 to connect to a computer or directly to the internet?

Thanks for help.  I'm overwhelmed with all the options.

Welcome to Cocoontech!

The base M1G board supports 16 wired zones.  You can expand that to additional wired or wireless zones through zone expander boards. 

If you want to go wireless, then you need to choose one of 3 wireless systems:  Elk, Honeywell or GE/Interlogix.  Unfortunately, sensors for one wireless system will not work with the others, so you need to decide up front which you think is best for your needs.

Elk's two-way wireless is relatively new, and doesn't have as wide a selection of wireless contacts and other sensors as GE and Honeywell have.  Note that these wireless systems are for the security side of things, and not for home automation (e.g. controlling lights or appliances).  Home automation is where Insteon, Z-wave or UPB come into play.

A good place to start is with an Elk system kit, like the M1GSYS4 or M1GSYS4S, which will provide many of the basic components beyond the M1G board, like an AC transformer, keypad, metal enclosure, battery, etc.   Then add a wireless expander - either the M1XRFTW (Elk), M1XRF2H (Honeywell), or M1XRFEG (GE).  There is also a Elk wireless kit, the M1GSYS4STW which includes the Elk wireless receiver.

You can connect the M1 to a computer for programming/configuration purposes through its native RS232 serial port, but to connect to the internet, you will need an ethernet interface board, the Elk M1XEP.

If you want to do home automation, you will need a Z-wave, Insteon or UPB adapter to connect to the M1. 

There are a couple of other threads currently going on regarding new system builds that you might find useful.  Also, many older ones... just use the search function. Reading these will undoubtedly lead to more questions.  Just ask!

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/27762-new-elk-m1-install-power-planning-help-needed/

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/27751-new-elk-m1g-install/

As far as reliability the order from most reliable to worst is wired sensors, elk wireless, ZWave, Insteon.  Modules needed depending on what you decide to go with:
  • Wired Sensors (if you need more than the base zones, M1XINs)
  • Elk Wireless (ELK-M1XRFTW)
  • ZWave (M1XSLZW)
  • Insteon (best option is an ISY which talks to the M1XEP)
Network Connectivity: M1XEP
Keypad(s) of your choice, you will need at least one
Battery (if you care about things working when the power is out)
Transformer
Speaker(s) (and optionally siren(s)).

You technically need nothing to connect to a PC with the M1 besides a serial cable. Net would require a XEP.

Wireless only has 3 options: GE, Honeywell, or Elk's proprietary.

Personally, I feel Elk's RF offering isn't as strong as GE or Honeywell with the bidirectional capabilities being a sales buzzword with the single exception being the smoke detectors.

Depends on the application.

Since you're a HO and not trade, you need to deal with 3rd party distribution. Honeywell can only be obtained via their distribution, however GE can be had via a host of 2nd tier resellers.

Granted Honeywell has pared down their RF offerings over the years and GE eliminated the entire reason why I leaned towards some of their devices-long life RF sensors (anticipated 10+ year battery life) and their options have become more spartan over time-even the keyfobs I bought for a customer about 3-4 years back are no longer made or available in close to the same style.

I'll put it as this: GE, when it was Caddx/ITI branded had more quality and more robust offerings. GE got into the business by buying a whole host of smaller companies that happened to have a few common components that were shared (wireless) and really hasn't changed the background engineering and their device offerings have been pretty much the same over the last 20 years. They've been changing their offerings and footprints a lot over the last 5 or so years, not good if you're planning a "phased" install or have to service/replace components.

Not to sound doom or gloom, but I've installed just about every system and manufacturer out there and it's really starting to appear GE is getting out of the security business on the residential side just like they did on the commercial side.

Can I use Z-Wave wireless door sensors and motion sensors instead of Honeywell/GE?

I understand that I would need these two products to get Z-Wave compatibility.
https://www.123securityproducts.com/m1xslzw.html?gclid=CMjf087y5MMCFYREaQod_bcA2Q
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRC0P-1LW-Plug-In-Serial-Interface/dp/B001HT0PK8

If so, is there any reason I would still want to go the Honeywell/GE route and then add the Z-Wave functionality at a later time.

Thanks again for the help.  I'm leaning towards Honeywell, but if Z-Wave works just as well I can save some money.

There's a reason why security devices are chosen for the application vs. devices that only report to for automation purposes. I'll leave it at that.

I see what your saying.  I am going to go the Honeywell route then.

Does this seem like a good part list for my initial install?

ELK M1GSYS4 M1 Gold Kit
ELK M1XRF2H Wireless receiver
ELK M1XEP Ethernet Interface
Honeywell Ademco 5816WMWH door/window transmitters
Honeywell Intrusion 5800PIR-RES motion detector

Thanks for the help

The Insteon/Z-Wave door and motion sensors won't even show up as security sensors to the M1 - it won't trigger a security event from them.  They can be used only for automation... and they tend to be more sensitive which is good for automation but bad for security (prone to falses); similarly wireless security sensors aren't as good for automation because the motions have a lock-out to save battery and they take a tiny bit longer to transmit.

Play real close attention to the keypads you want.  The touchscreens are a cool concept but the loss of the tactile buttons means some functions require changing screens to get to - and if the screen blanks you can't get that "at a glace" status.  It's easier for controlling lights but I never do that from my panel itself.  To me it's important to have that at-a-glance view so I buy the KP2's and I also use the recessed-mount boxes rather than the included surface boxes.  I think it looks way better.  I also like having the keypads recess mounted with the SP12 speakers behind the keypads and I use multiple keypads right at the point of entry into the home (front door and garage door) plus in the master bedroom, then I have a speaker behind each of those, as well as a couple others to get good coverage in the house.   This provides a nice feel in that the audio is well distributed rather than booming from one speaker central to the house and it's coming from right at the point of interaction with the system.  I've done some other fun things with that too but I'm on a plane and running out of time to type...

The System kits come with a 14" enclosure; I would recommend a 28 and keep it dedicated to just the M1 - don't mix other non security things in there.  I used the 14" as an auxiliary in the garage where I have an input and output panel daisy chained giving me the 16 inputs and 16 outputs in the garage off a single Cat5e - from there I have the garage doors wired, along with some outputs for controlling the sprinklers, doors, etc.

Many people here like the DBH - Data Bus Hub - depending on the number of devices or how much you plan to tinker and add more items over time, it makes life easier.  I know DEL will say it's not usually necessary but I think his systems are installed and left alone unless/until there's a major event whereas DIY homeowners tend to keep adding items and tinkering all the time so it just makes it easier to add a new device and not worry much about termination or rewiring something existing.

Back