Need Help With HA Software Comparison

Of the folks who have looked at it, how many think the planning boxes ("required", "good to have", and "do not want") should be dropped? Are they usefule in this format or do they just clutter things up?

The Russound is a Yes for the following:
local artist/track info display: using UNO-S2 and above keypads with SMS Server
local HA message display: The protocol does allow messages to be displayed via RS232 on Keypads
IR Remote: Keypads have built in IR receivers for use with a Russound Remote.

The Russound is a Yes for the following:
local artist/track info display: using UNO-S2 and above keypads with SMS Server
local HA message display: The protocol does allow messages to be displayed via RS232 on Keypads
IR Remote: Keypads have built in IR receivers for use with a Russound Remote.

Kirk-

What is SMS server and do most Russound implementations use it?

What about Security, Video Surveillance, Irrigation, Pool Control, Weather Forecast/Climate sensors, Remote Access via the Web, Mobile Access, and Energy/Utility Monitoring? You could also add evaluation/ratings of how easy to setup/integrate, how reliable, how good the support is, and if there is open support for DIYers.

For the "features" for the controllers, there are several you have listed as Y, but these require additional 3rd party hardware or software. You should note that for everything - like you do in some cases.

Also, your initial post mentioned that you want this to be useful to a newbie or someone who does not understand hardware/integration. The specs have no mapping to capabilities that would make sense to this person. You need to approach this with a list of use cases, and parameters of those use cases. For example "Listen to audio around the house", the parameters may be how they want to control it, the number of rooms, and the number of simultaneous sources, the types of sources, whether they want to be able to see information about what they are listening to, and if they want the audio to be tied to an event or rule. The company that is successful approaching things like this is the company that will have a broader market appeal, and the company that will ultimately be more successful. While I don't like C4's model (as an expert user), I think it is one of the better models for the mass market with the $ to spend. Just my .02

What about Security, Video Surveillance, Irrigation, Pool Control, Weather Forecast/Climate sensors, Remote Access via the Web, Mobile Access, and Energy/Utility Monitoring? You could also add evaluation/ratings of how easy to setup/integrate, how reliable, how good the support is, and if there is open support for DIYers.

For the "features" for the controllers, there are several you have listed as Y, but these require additional 3rd party hardware or software. You should note that for everything - like you do in some cases.

Also, your initial post mentioned that you want this to be useful to a newbie or someone who does not understand hardware/integration. The specs have no mapping to capabilities that would make sense to this person. You need to approach this with a list of use cases, and parameters of those use cases. For example "Listen to audio around the house", the parameters may be how they want to control it, the number of rooms, and the number of simultaneous sources, the types of sources, whether they want to be able to see information about what they are listening to, and if they want the audio to be tied to an event or rule. The company that is successful approaching things like this is the company that will have a broader market appeal, and the company that will ultimately be more successful. While I don't like C4's model (as an expert user), I think it is one of the better models for the mass market with the $ to spend. Just my .02

I agree there is a lot more that can be done but my 1st goal is to get a solid framework in place. I am going to start another thread for contributor guidelines and discussions.

how about full mobile/pda support, where would thatg go? That's one of the most useful bits to me. Ease of deployment is paramount, i ain't gonna learn how to code in fantastik just to do that.

how about full mobile/pda support, where would thatg go? That's one of the most useful bits to me. Ease of deployment is paramount, i ain't gonna learn how to code in fantastik just to do that.

I would list it somewhere close to "web server".

I edited the Lutron / Homeworks column a bit.

Homeworks controller uses a different protocol than RadioRa, but Homeworks also supports wireless.

So, I renamed the "hardwired" which I assume really means HomeWorks, and left RadioRa standalone as a Lutron product (not a Lutron Homeworks product).

So, whoever filled in the technical details on "hardwired", please edit if that is for system 4 or System 8, or both. I am not that familiar with their product to detail.

There is also the GrafikEye product line, which according to Lutron, is a basketcase of protocol differences due to the product evolutions over the years under the same product name. So, not even sure how to list GrafikEye, which is somewhat of a popular theater use product.

Back