Need new garage door opener. Model recs, easy to automate?

Neurorad

I need to replace an electric overhead garage door opener.

I've read of some newer 'smart' models that aren't easily controlled with a simple relay.

Can anyone recommend any specific models, or what to avoid?

Most of those smart panels are a PITA, but I haven't found a single model yet where I couldn't still just short the wires with a relay to control it. If you're using a smart panel, that'll screw it up (reset clock, etc). Personally I just throw out the smart panels and use a standard button (I've interfaced my own RF remote to every house I've lived in for the last 15 years).

As far as openers go, I really like the last one I installed - a chamberlain belt-driven DC opener - extremely quiet and has battery backup; but if you have any clearance issues around your center track it can cause problems because of how the carriage rides on. That was a tough lesson learned.

If you look around you'll see that the only difference between "professional" models and consumer models is that the pro ones come with a single piece track, where the consumer ones have a track that breaks down into several pieces. I definitely prefer the single large track - less potential for issues; but either will do fine.

Thanks so much, T. I need to research the 'smart panel'; I bet it will be necessary to interface with a HomeLink car transmitter.

That battery backup sounds like a great idea, but changing a battery pack every 4 years doesn't sound appealing. Will have to think about that one.

Great tip on the 'pro' single piece track.

Looking at the Chamberlain Liftmaster site, I see Elite Series vs. Pro Series as my first decision. Elite has the Smart Control Panel, Premium Series does not. Will read some manuals.

The smart panel isn't required for homelink... that's programmed directly to the motor unit. If you really want the smart panel features, you can either hook a relay into a spare remote as is commonly done, or interface directly with the button on the smart panel; in my case I always just toss out the smart panels and use regular buttons.

I'll probably get a Chamberlain Liftmaster without the Smart Control Panel.

Ever heard of MyQ? It's Chamberlain's version of HomeLink. I hope there aren't any HomeLink compatibility issues.

I have automated several garage doors. I always use the RF remote that comes with the opener (or just order an extra). Take it apart and solder wires onto the contact pads. You don't even have to get a wire to the opener or a button/console and even with a 3 bay garage you can usually do all doors with one remote. You can use a small power supply or just keep the battery, they last a couple years.

Liftmaster 3800 if you have the springs and cables above the door...There is no issue with the smart control panels if you know how to solder. Relay control right to the smart panel. I can open/close, turn on the GDO light and lock my opener wireless just like the smart control. They are also better, IMHO, because you can program remotes from the ground.....

If you use Zwave, Wayne Dalton makes Zwave garage door openers. Can't get easier to automate than that!

Thanks for the input.

I'll also be using a Lutron RA2 VCRX garage door receiver, which connect to the GDO contacts and allows control of the GDO from my HomeLink car visor buttons, as well as lighting scenes.

I emailed RA2 tech support, and they said to avoid connecting the VCRX to a GDO with a 'smart' panel. Seems that the GDO contacts supply power to the Smart Panel, and could damage the VCRX if wired in parallel.

The Chamberlain Smart Panel can only be used with specific GDOs. It's not just a simple contact closure input on those GDOs.

I guess I could wire the VCRX to a remote, but I think that's a project for the next GDO that fails. The others look to be less than 10 years old, the current one is 18 years old, manufactured in '94.

I have automated several garage doors. I always use the RF remote that comes with the opener (or just order an extra). Take it apart and solder wires onto the contact pads. You don't even have to get a wire to the opener or a button/console and even with a 3 bay garage you can usually do all doors with one remote. You can use a small power supply or just keep the battery, they last a couple years.

Agree! But this way shows how you can use a wall wart in lieu of a battery. ;)

Back