Need some faceplate help

edge

Hey guys, I've got a 3-gang box that is configured for an outlet on the left, and 2 regular switches. I need to find a faceplace setup with an outlet, and 2 decora switches--- but I can't seem to find. A couple of the big parts houses have come up empty. Does this configuration even exist?

The prior electrician 'should' have used a 4 gang box, but who knows?

Can you change the outlet to a Decora outlet?
.........the outlet houses 2 toggles. The current set up controls the fireplace fan, ceiling fan (on the toggles) overhead light, and eyeball spots on the others

There is one company that makes modular plates, that are highly configurable. You buy 3 plates that snap together.

I've seen them in someone's house before, but they looked pretty crappy. I think they're sold at Lowe's, maybe HD.

There are companies that can make the plate for you, if you search online, but they're very expensive, for the piece.

Can't fit 2 toggles in a Decora? Maybe change the 3 gang box to an old work 4 gang? That would cost about $10, if you don't screw up the drywall cutting. ;)

Easy to change the regular outlet to a decora outlet; then finding a three gang decora outlet is easier. (as stated).

I looked at my box o outlet covers. I have many double gangle decora/regular outlet covers, triple decora covers, quad covers but no combo regular outlet and two decora outlet covers. Lately on my almost weekly visits I look for odd combos, oversize and "jumbo" style Leviton outlet covers. Next visit (almost weekly) will look at what's in stock on the shelves - very convenant here as all three big box stores are next to each other (across the street - don't know how they stay in business).

You best bet is to hit the big box stores as stated and you may find the right combo. (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc). They have the largest selections. Typically with an electrical supply house you have to look in a catalogue for the stock number, then a look up to see if its on a parts shelf - very time consuming and you don't get to see all of them at once (that is my experience).

There is one company that makes modular plates, that are highly configurable. You buy 3 plates that snap together.

I've seen them in someone's house before, but they looked pretty crappy. I think they're sold at Lowe's, maybe HD.

There are companies that can make the plate for you, if you search online, but they're very expensive, for the piece.

Can't fit 2 toggles in a Decora? Maybe change the 3 gang box to an old work 4 gang? That would cost about $10, if you don't screw up the drywall cutting. ;)

Just checked the pricing on a custom piece------way to expensive! I though about trying to convert the box to a 4 gang, but me and drywall patching don't get along. I may be able to fit the toggles in a Decora

Found one...probably cost more to ship than the cost of the cover....

Single outlet plus 2 decora switch

Personally all my lower outlets are the regular types and my upper outlets (kitchen) and switches of the decora style. Noticed the new dentist office (friend) went with old fashioned ivory switches, outlets and covers.

Hey guys, I've got a 3-gang box that is configured for an outlet on the left, and 2 regular switches. I need to find a faceplace setup with an outlet, and 2 decora switches--- but I can't seem to find. A couple of the big parts houses have come up empty. Does this configuration even exist?

The prior electrician 'should' have used a 4 gang box, but who knows?

Try Leviton SECTIONAL wall plates... Sectional wall plates have "end" and "middle" pieces. Each piece is available as decora, outlet, keystone, etc wall plate. You snap the pieces together and end up with a custom wall plate.

Home Depot (along with Fruitridge tools, and other vendors) carry these: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...catalogId=10053

In your case, you'd need 1 "end" outlet, 1 "middle" decora and 1 "end" decora.

Fair warning, though - the seams ARE visible, and sometimes the colors don't match 100% across different wall plate types. But it's a cheap-n-cheerful solution. I'd still replace the switch ;)

Back