Help before I burn the place down :)

gf5300

I am a residential HAI/UPB user but I chose to install a 2Gig panel in my wife's business for its simplicity and because we have Zwave locks in every office for security reasons (meaning Zwave was the chosen technology).  The automation requirements are minimal from what I am used to at home so the 2Gig was a good fit.  Everything works like a charm but I am reluctant to install Zwave switches on two locations.

1.  Switch A feed 6 fluorescent fixtures with 3 T8 bulbs each rated for 32W.  The ballast factor is 0.88 and the input wattage is 85 (not sure how the ballast affects the wattage computation).  All the bulbs together come out to be 576 watts but I am not sure how the ballast affects the total.  Switch is installed by itself (1 gang).
2.. Switch B carries the same exact load but it is installed in a two gang box.

I realize that I would need to install a on/off switch and no a dimmer.  However I see that most switches are rated for 600W incandescent.  Does anybody know if a 600w switch would work?  I would have no problem spending the extra cash for something with a higher rating but I really cant find anything greater.  I did notice that the GE switches say 960W on the box but the manual states 600W incandescent.

Thanks guys.

The .88 factor on the ballast is usually the power factor. I am not sure if that includes the bulbs and ballasts as load or just the ballast.

The load of the ballasts varies greatly depending whether they are electronic ballasts or older types. Being that you are using 32 Watt bulbs I assume they are electronic. As a rough guess I would say your ballasts consume about 10-20 watts each.

Your total load will be over the 600 Watts and my work for  short time but I wouldn't  risk it. Plus if the factor is power factor your current will be higher and even just the bulbs power rating would put the VAs at 6 x 3 x 32W / 0.88pf = 654 va.

OTOH: Incandescent ratings are lower due to the huge inrush current that burns out contacts so if the 960 Watts power rating is valid you should be OK.

Thanks for the help guys.
Looked up the Leviton VRS-15-1L switch.  Here are the specs:
  • Resistive, 1800W, 15A
  • Incandescent, 1800W
  • Fluorescent 1800 VA
  • Inductive, 1800 VA
It seems that this switch would work. Should I go with the 1880 VA for fluorescent?
I know I should have paid more attention to my EE teacher way back during my college years :).

Because you are powering a florescent load, you must use 15A Vizia+ switches with a neutral to avoid flickering. The 600w Vizia+ switches do not require a neutral, so they are incompatible with LED/Florescent lights.

If you want to dim the load, and your ballast supports dimming, you can may also use a VRMX1.

I just double checked the VRMX1 and it will not be sufficient at, “Vizia RF + 1000VA Magnetic Low Voltage, 1000W Incandescent, 450W LED/CFL”

Thank you!
Yes, will use the Vizia 15 Amp switches.
They just came in and will be installing today.
Thank you all for your advice.

Back