Network controllable HDMI switch?

wkearney99

Anyone make an HDMI switch with a built-in network connection? As in, controllable via HTTP commands?

Sure, I could use a Global Cache with either serial or IR, but I'd prefer a single box solution, if possible. All these extra gizmos start to add up, especially with different power supplies. A search brought up a link to a HKSW0401PH4-W but it's unclear on just what sort of control is possible.

Tangentially, what, if anything, has ever made use of ethernet over HDMI? I've no need for it, but have wondered...

I also asked this over on AVS.

DELInstallations said:
Are you referring to HDbaseT as a solution?

No, not at all.  

I'm looking for local HDMI switching with network control.  Local HDMI devices: chromecast, game console, DVR, etc.  In situations that might not have an AVR hooked up.  Like a guest bedroom TV.  I've got a Chromecast and a Tivo Mini on the back of the TV itself.  No in-room AVR or speakers.

I've toyed with centralized HDMI switching in the past (two cable CAT5 from monoprice) and all the HDMI handshaking issues make it more trouble than it's worth.  Biting the bullet and shelling out for multiple devices ends up being a LOT less tedious to setup and use over time.

I've a couple of situations where it'd be handy to not only control the sources, but to discover they're existing states.

I've a couple of TVs with Chromecasts, some with AVRs.  The Chromecasts are capable of causing the TV to come on and switch to that input.  This seems like a nice thing until you run into trouble with images being burned into the plasma screen...  Likewise some AVRs are capable of playing network sources like Pandora, but they don't reliably make use of a screensaver or pixel orbiter.  I'd love to have some automation scripts monitoring the states of the various devices and be able to avoid screen image retention problems.  As in, scan for the TV state, then the switch and the source.  This only works reliably when there's bi-directional communication with the various devices.  

Anyway, an HDMI switch with bi-directional network control would be perfect for this sort of thing.  Not having to jump through too many translation hoops would be helpful for automation control.

I currently have a $80 single source HDMI switch (1x8) that feeds my bedroom/bath/living TV's using my WMC HTPC.    Audio is overhead speakers (TV speakers disabled) and video is HDMI.

The 4 bedroom TV's also are smart DLNA and using the TV remote/Table Temote and MediaBrowser Server...I can play individual  items directly to a single TV.  This provides the flexibility of the "follow me" video/audio programs (tv/sound/lights turned on/off via motion) or individual use when needed using DLNA (small portion of time).

However, I did research a matrix switch for the future should I need multiple HDMI sources from the head end (just haven't needed it yet) vs my single soruce.  What I found is this device that that should pair nicely with our Russound System with Atlona, Octava & Wyrestorm HDMI switchers.

http://www.myrocontrol.com/myrobridge/

Basically, when you select source 1 on your Russound, it can switch the HDMI video source using the Myro...and the Audio via your typical Russound logic.  Selecting Source 2 for that room will get the Source 2 HDMI feed switched to that room.

Besides the HDMI switch, the Myro also supports Sonos control via Russound keypads too.

Not TCP/IP, but maybe a solid way to get the feature without needing to change the HA (assuming you already have Russound integration).

Sure, I've got another myro unit for my russound amps.  Worked reasonably well in the old house (haven't hooked it up yet in the new one).  But, as I mentioned, I'm not looking for a central or matrix switch.  That and the ones you mentioned are pretty pricey (as is a Myro unit).  Just a simple 2 or 4 input to a single output.

Sure, I could use a Global Cache with either serial or IR, but I'd prefer a single box solution, if possible. All these extra gizmos start to add up, especially with different power supplies. A search brought up a link to a HKSW0401PH4-W but it's unclear on just what sort of control is possible.

Personally noticed that you could probably write to them to purchase one to play with.  I've done that before. 

IE: I wanted to DIY my last Raid NAS box and found a company in Shenzhen,China making them.  I wrote and they sent me a unit in less than a week.  To date I have not seen just a NAS case like this one for purchase in the US.  Its been on 24/7.  I did lose the server power supply in it and replaced it with same and its been fine. (well every thing in it was purchased a la carte).

Pic-1.jpgLSI-Card-3.jpg

Be the Hank HDMI with Ethernet wired and wireless switcher "tester" and tell us about it.

Here just keep the autonomous HDMI devices to HDMI inputs on the TV in the office. 

I have IR room to room blasting in place but do not automate it or want to; but that is me.

I still have a few rapid run cables being utilized.  These were easy to run but expensive once you purchased the a la carte ends for them.

Using the XBMC box though combines stuff which works for me. 

I can remote the XBMC box via the network.  The home office is also a Russound zone / keypad on the wall by the light switch. 

Gotcha, same reason I didn't get a matrix...too expensive.

Well, I did notice this latest GC POE serial device (didn't have that when I looked last year).  That will solve the the power brick issue...and a little double sided tape will make a "single box" solution with an POE ethernet switch ;)
http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2sl-pspecs/ 

Last idea is this HDMY 5x1 switch with IR (I'm sure you knew about this option):
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-Switch-Switcher-Remote-Support/dp/B00264NZWS 

PS - My longest HDMI run is 50ft (3 of them) and I have the rest at 35, 2x25, 2x15.  I've never had a handshaking issue with these BlueRigger cables (with extra circuity for long distances):
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable/dp/B004GW25WY/
+
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJVS6NS

I've sent an e-mail to the Hank folks.  If it has any kind of network control over the switch I'll order one.

I don't utilize any PoE gear at the present, that and using a GC adds another layer of protocol in-between whatever I'm using to automate it and the devices.  More hassles to avoid.  But they are, at least, pretty reasonably priced for what they can provide.

I also use the gefen matrix. Very reliable, receives ip commands, and although expensive, it is much cheaper than they use to be and highly reliable. I tried many other brands for less before giving up and getting the gefen.

Back