Network speed needed for a couple security cams?

JimS said:
Interesting.  Can you provide specific details on the various parts?

Hope this helps... 
or  
Another benefit of the Ubiquiti POE switch (true of most managed switches but this is the one I have experience with) is that you can power cycle a port from a browser session.

Why not just a couple of more modern routers. Fibre is expensive.
ASUS AC1900 routers now sport mesh access points just for a simple setting. My ASUS AC1900 connects at 866Mbps to my laptops and iPad.

I have an older Cisco router echoing WiFi in my outbuilding workshop and it handles two cameras and a few other slower items no problem. One cam is a Wyse 1080p at 10-30 fps and the other is an older PoS Dlink with up to 30 fps but lower pixel size.

OM4 (laser optimized) would future proof the setup as it can handle 100Gb.  It will also work at 1, 10 and 40Gbps speeds.  You would want multimode since it is cheaper and the optics are also cheaper (850nm).  If you wanted to go all out...OM5.

Look at the cost between OM3, OM4 and OM5 and decide which route you want to go. 

When it comes to SFP's (transceivers), if you're worried about temps, you can get extended temp models.  For the switches in the attic, I use the extended temp SFP's.  Standard SFP's are 0°C to 70°C whereas the extended temp or industrial are good for -40°C to 85°C.

What size conduit and bend radius should I use to allow future things (cable, fiber, whatever) to be pulled in, considering possible end terminations?

NEC has rules concerning conduit fill that you can look up or someone here may be able to help with that. I used all sweep elbows for the bends in my buried conduit to the garage and it was pretty easy to pull the wires through.

Mike.

Fibre optic installation companies have rules that range from the 3" diameter conduit range and up. This is to prvent any pulling strain on the glass fibres as well as prevent tight coiling going around corners of smaller conduits. Most of this is a bit ridiculous but I have seen the results of tight bends, even after being straightened again. They will show fractures and light escaping hrough the jackets when test lights are shone throgh them.

mikefamig said:
NEC has rules concerning conduit fill that you can look up or someone here may be able to help with that. I used all sweep elbows for the bends in my buried conduit to the garage and it was pretty easy to pull the wires through.

Mike.
I expect to be way below any fill issues. I was thinking about the size of possible terminations that might make me want a bigger size.  And there is bend radius but the make large radius bends in various sizes so that doesn't directly tie to conduit diameter.

I only expect to have a couple runs of small cable the size of Cat6 or similar but am thinking 1-1/4" would be good.  Maybe also go with something like 18 - 24" radius bends.

Plans have changed here on location but still the same basic need except the distance to the garage is now 200 feet.  Plan to go with wired in conduit.  Thinking I will go with one or two of these cams.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1U4MVA

at least to start.  Thinking of mounting one to keep an eye on construction when I am not there.

Still a bit fuzzy on the switch and setup of network.  I see some 5 port gigabit switches that should be enough.  Will plug an old router into one port for wifi so that leaves 3 for cams.  Probably enough but having a few more for possible expansion would be nice.  Looked for the cisco switches Ianbrown suggested but lots of variations at different price points on ebay.

And need to learn about the networking.  I know some basics.  Want to set up so the cams dont phone home and use zoneminder or perhaps blueiris.  Do I need an additional cable to the garage to keep the camera traffic separate from my pc traffic?  Speed isn't the issue as the cams can have priority - not doing other stuff that needs much bandwidth.  It's more about security in my mind but I may not understand all the details...NVR will be in the house with a few more cams.

Back