New anemometer/EVane

davism5

I tried posting in the WeatherToys forum to no avail, so I'll retry here... apologize for the cut/paste for those who visit both forums:

I'm looking for clues on using the new Hobby Boards Inspeed anemometer with SimpleWeather (the HubExample version). The manual says it's not compatible with most software packages, but not why. I'm brand new at the 1-wire stuff, needed to monitor some temps and of course that grew into a fledgling weather station projects. I'm working from the book and have successfully gotten SimpleWeather to work with three temp sensors over a hub (yay!), but I'm still pretty lost with the java programming part. So any pointers on getting this particular piece of hardware up and running will be GREATLY appreciated!

The user manual may be a bit confusing about software compatibility. There used to be a different 1-Wire wind instrument and our new anemometer solutions are not backwards compatible with those units and since our units are so new not many software packages have had the time to add support for them.

They are very easy to code for and the formula are in the user manual but Tim Bitson (the author of the Weather Toys book and SimpleWeather) has one of each of our new units so I would think that he will be adding support in the near future.

Eric

Thanks for the reply, Eric - and the opportunity to say thanks also to you and Tim for what seems to kind of a loose collaboration to make 1-wire stuff available and understandable. I "get it" - the site and the hardware are geared towards the tinkerer, and you're expected to pick this stuff up and run with it yourself. The book's guidance is outstanding, and I respect the approach... teach a man to fish = teach a man to program. So I whine not.. it doesn't look like it'll be any big trick to modify SimpleWeather for the new unit, but I'm so new at it all that I don't want to risk frying any hardware by experimenting until I'm on just a little firmer ground.

Back