New devices not being detected.

MJoyce

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of a HB barometer and humidity/temp/solar modules.

I have a Nslu2 running owfs, usb adaptor and it detect a ds1820 I rigged up.

When I connect either of the new modules, both the existing ds1820 and the usb adaptor disappear from the device bus, the new modules are never seen either.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Check and make sure that you are not crossing the data and ground lines when you hook them up. Also are you providing external power to the devices?

Eric

I'm was just using a standard RJ11-RJ11 cable.
It only has two wires, and they look to be the centre pair.

I cut it and twisted the pair and the humidity/temp/solar module appear.
Using owfs...

Code:
top	highest level	directory
structure	structure	directory
bus.0	bus.0	directory
uncached	uncached	directory
settings	settings	directory
system	system	directory
statistics	statistics	directory
10.0F023A010800	DS18S20	1-wire chip
26.07CFA8000000	DS2438	1-wire chip
81.C34026000000	DS1420	1-wire chip
alarm	alarm	directory
simultaneous	simultaneous	1-wire chip

but when I connect the Barometer, everything disappears.

have I damaged it do you think ?
no external power.

Attaching the Barometer shouldn't take out the 1-Wire network but the Barometer won't function correctly without external power. Have you tried just hooking up the Barometer with no other devices on the network?

If you haven't tried to attach external power then I don't think you have damaged it. Hooking up data and ground backwards shouldn't hurt a 1-Wire chip.

Eric

ericvic said:
Attaching the Barometer shouldn't take out the 1-Wire network but the Barometer won't function correctly without external power. Have you tried just hooking up the Barometer with no other devices on the network?

If you haven't tried to attach external power then I don't think you have damaged it. Hooking up data and ground backwards shouldn't hurt a 1-Wire chip.

Eric

Yes, I've tried the barometer on it's own, and the adapter device disappears from the network.

I didn't realize the barometer needed power, I should have read properly.

I'll oerder a power injector or hub, but I'm worried that the barometer is broken and I'll be throwing good money after bad.

SO with a unpowered barometer on a network, using the USB adaptor I *should* be able to see the adapter still ?
I can't.

Ho weasy would it be to add power, if I can find 15v dc 1amp source, how do I connect it ?

and will that damage other devices on the network, I have an agg v3 wind / rain /direction. I vaguely remember something about power needing some juber removed, or attached.

Thanks

You can actually add power directly to the Barometer by using the screw terminals. Just make sure it is a DC power supply and connect the polarity correctly.

After you power it up if you are still having a problem with it taking out the network let me know and I will see what we can do to get you going.

Eric

ericvic said:
You can actually add power directly to the Barometer by using the screw terminals. Just make sure it is a DC power supply and connect the polarity correctly.

After you power it up if you are still having a problem with it taking out the network let me know and I will see what we can do to get you going.

Eric

I rebuilt OWFS on a different PC (before I was using a NLSU2) and now when I connect it I can still see the adaptor.

Regarding power, can I use the +12v from a PC power supply ?

Glad to hear that the Barometer is working now.

If you can get the +12v from the PC then that would be a fine power source.

Eric

ericvic said:
Glad to hear that the Barometer is working now.

If you can get the +12v from the PC then that would be a fine power source.

Eric

Yes, thanks for your help, I used power from the PC and I get readings.
I'm not sure how to interpret them though.
Here's what OWFS has to say :

Code:
up	directory
HIH4000	HIH4000
HTM1735	HTM1735
Ienable	
MultiSensor	MultiSensor
VAD	4.97
VDD	4.93
address	26ABDDAE000000CB
crc8	CB
date