New from Houston, Texas

RedAggie03

Just bought my first house and I was searching on how to get my driveway gate and garage door on the same remote. Then I found Z-Wave and my mind went nuts on what I could do. So now I'm thinking about starting with a simple solution where I press a button in my car, the gate opens, the garage opens, the driveway and living room lights come on and the back door unlocks (KwikSet z-Wave lock).

I have NO idea what it will really take for me to set this up.

I also brought a entry level Q-See analog 4 camera DVR from my old place that I'm not even sure I want to install...So I'm looking more into whole home automation solutions that include security, cameras, and automation. I do like the new HoneyWell
Tuxedo Touch.​

I would also like to find an installer in Houston I can talk to. Thinking about calling Onmi Alarm​
since they are a HoneyWell dealer, but I feel like I need to find an installer that can do it all.

Do it yourself and save a ton. I would recommend downloading one of the software packages like HomeSeer and try a 30 day trial. Many of use use these types of packages to integrate our camers, lights, weather stations, security systems all into one interface. Check it out, it's fun and addictive. http://homeseer.com/

My question is, my house is new and NOT pre-wired. How do I integrate all of this stuff without having to run a bunch of new wires? Also, I need to get a PC then to dedicate to the system?

Yes a PC is required if you want to use a software package.
My house wasn't prewired either so I chose to do nearly everything wirelessly. My first thought would be to setup your garage door up first to be controller with Z-Wave like this:
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372

Then do something similar with your gate. Then you could setup an event to control the garage door, gate lights and locks. The lights, and locks are plugin and play. The garage door and gate will take a bit of work. You can start small like the locks and lights and then add to it later.

Back