New house: elk M1 add ons and automation

leo_bsb

Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot, the forums is full of information and sometimes it makes me confused.
I am building a new house, one floor, 4440 sq ft:
floorplant.jpg

After reading a lot I already decided on an ELK M1 for security and automation. Lighting will be under UPB. I won't have a HVAC so besides lighting I'll try to control the pool machinery and garden sprinklers with UPB too. Cameras will be POE and I'll have a NAS for media and CCTV images.

1- Lighting)

My city runs on 220V/60Hz, so the only UPB solution I found comes from shlhitech, an Israel company.

I don't have my lighting project ready so I could not decide on dimmers and switches.

2- Elk)

I need some help now to decide the necessary ELK add on, my list is now the following:

Elk M1 Gold
M1XSP - the interface for lightning and serial
ELK-M1KPB - keyboard, one near the usual house exit is OK? The alarm can be set by any phone, does it really work, for example when leaving home and activating the alarm?
ELK-USB232 - serial do USB for programming
ELK-M1XEP - LAN interface
ELK-P212S - the new power supply, I think it is used for the add ons, am I right? Does it fit for motion sensors?
battery - I'll buy one here, they weight a lot and I'll bring these parts within my baggage
elk power supply - can I buy one with the same output specs here in Brazil?
I think I need audio/Mic for the alarm. If I have cameras with mics, I could forget the Elk's mic?
What I am missing????

According to my floor plant, will I need the expansions cards to setup one zone for each room? I'd like the ELK to advise me when leaving that an specific windows is opened for example.

Any suggestion how could I setup the zones so we could calculate how many inputs for reed and motion sensors I'll need?

I have a lot of window panels at the main room, integrated with kitchen and dining. Also 4 bedrooms and the HT. I'm thinking about install reed sensors on each windows/doors and a motion sensor on each room. The ELK-P212S could supply the voltage for the motion sensors? Is it OK to wire a CAT5 for them? I'll run CAT5 for the POE cameras already, so it would be two, one for the camera, one for the motion sensors.

Is it possible to program the ELK to switch lights on when the motion sensor is triggered?

3- Cameras

For the cameras I'm thinking about one at the main room, one on each side of the house, one at the garage, one at the HT and one on each bedroom, so I can use them as nanny cams or when I travel on vacation. I don't think my wife would approve a camera constantly on inside our bedroom. Any suggestions on positions for those cameras?

There is a new Axis camera M1031W that has a passive motion sensor onboard, it is not POE but I could use a POE splitter to power it.

Can I also use the cameras to also trigger the ELK alarm?

4- Wiring)

Check my list:
- cat5 for media to each room, together with a coaxial for TV.
- cat5 for POE cameras on correct spots
- cat5 for motion sensors, same cameras spots.
- cat5 for reed sensors, when I have more than on window together I can use on pair for each.
- I'll probably wire some speaker wires to the back porch, on front of the pool, for use on parties. The other rooms will access media through media players like Patriot Box Office.
- At the HT I'll run speaker wire.

I know it is a long post but I'll appreciate any inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Leo,

attachments and PM are approved after multiple posts (3 I think) and you become a regular member not a newbie :)

Where are you located that you need 220VAC 60 Hz?

I am currently testing a few Shlhitech products for a CT review I hope to have done soon

Leo,

attachments and PM are approved after multiple posts (3 I think) and you become a regular member not a newbie :)

Where are you located that you need 220VAC 60 Hz?

I am currently testing a few Shlhitech products for a CT review I hope to have done soon

Brazil! we have a complete mess, some cities are 110V, other 220V. True 220, with phase and neutral, not two 110V phases.

I'll wait for your review, let me know.

no suggestions? Anyone?

I got some news from Australian made UPB devices sold here in Brazil, I'll try to get the brand so I'll ask you guys about it.

Just off the top of my head:

The Elk wants 12-16V ac or dc input. So you will need some sort of transformer for your local utility power to convert. The Elk itself should then manage to charge a small 12v DC battery (I think mine is 8Ah).

Motions generally want 12v dc for power, and the Elk supplies this from the main board. Although, you will want to add up all the power requirements from the devices you intend to connect so as to not overload the Elk PS. For instance, I have a separate 6amp power supply in addition to the Elk's power.

Back