New LED dimmable coach lights

pete_c

Guru
Here switching over to clear LED dimmable coach lights.  

Been using incandescent crystalline like E26 candlabra style (and halogen) bulbs for many years for outdoor lamps. 

The coach lamps are all glass and the crystalline looking bulbs worked fine dimming down to around 30% with UPB switches. 

clearcrystalline.jpg

New clear LEDs are described as:  

Philips LED Dimmable F15 Soft White Light Bulb with Warm Glow Effect 500-Lumen, 2700-2200-Kelvin, 7-Watt (60-Watt Equivalent), E26 Base

Not sure yet how well they will work. 

First attempt at this for the outdoor coach lamps.  

coachlamp2.jpg  

Curious if anyone has tried these yet?

Haven't tried coach lamps, but have some lights over an outside fireplace that use LEDs set up in the style of old Edison bulbs.  It's quite nice to get the old-school look but with a lot less power consumption.

My biggest peeve with LED replacements is getting even light emission.  Way too often the light gets emitted in a harsh pinpoint, unlike the better spread of an incandescent.

wkearney99 said:
Haven't tried coach lamps, but have some lights over an outside fireplace that use LEDs set up in the style of old Edison bulbs.  It's quite nice to get the old-school look but with a lot less power consumption.

My biggest peeve with LED replacements is getting even light emission.  Way too often the light gets emitted in a harsh pinpoint, unlike the better spread of an incandescent.

Yup, same here. Many of the new bulb have this huge base above the screw in part that does a very good job of just blocking light. I've taken to using the bulbs with the LED filament setup which is much more omni-directional. The only issue there has been they don't seem to have the higher wattage/lumen. I do recall starting to see a few but they weren't in the shape/size bulbs I needed.

Oh and they won't work in the cheap nightlights (which my wife loves).

The choice here was between the clear LED filament style LED E26 bulb and the ones chosen.  Not liking the base as you will see this in the clear glass coach lamp.  The lamp socket is down a bit from the end of the glass such that it might look OK.  Hopefully these last as I have to climb a ladder to remove the cover of these lamps which is a PITA to do.  The automation here starts with the coach lamps at around 80% around sunset then go down to around 30% when it is dark outside. After hours motion detection is always 100% illumination.

Going to test the new style LED clear bulbs this year for the Christmas window candles that I use every year. I have tried a few over the years and not liked them at all. Might try the night light low wattage style this year.

Used a 120VAC to 12VDC power module for the LEDs in the office (indirect lighting) and noticed if I extend the UPB time to dim then I get a flicker on the LED lamps. If I just set the dim level instantly I get no flickering. The manual pot or digital dimming using the RGB controller generates no flickering on the 12VDC LED lamps.

Went to using aluminum tracks / diffusers for the kitchen counters SMD5050 5000k lamps. The diffusers work relating to that piercing light (if you look directly at the tracks of LED).

These work well with the black and stainless steel stove top. These are not dimmed and controlled via a wall switch. Other kitchen counters are using same but dimmed at night to around 50%.

Back