NEW Magazine! -- Zwave

Squintz

Veteran High-Tech Publisher Announces New E-Zine
Taps Burgeoning Z-Wave® Technology Market

DENVER, September 14, 2006 – ZWave World, Inc. (Portland, OR) today announced ZWaveWorld.com, a media property designed to meet the growing information needs of consumers interested in installing home control and automation products based on Z-Wave technology. The announcement was made at the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association’s (CEDIA) annual expo where many new Z-Wave products are expected to be unveiled to the trade industry of marketers, retailers, value added resellers, dealers, installers and
manufacturers.

ZWave World CEO and a Wired founding publisher Randall Stickrod said, “In a few short years, Z-Wave has become the de facto standard in the home control and automation industry because Z-Wave products operate on a lower, less crowded RF channel and are completely interoperable with each other. Consumers can purchase them at their local home improvement stores and go home and install the devices themselves.†Stickrod added, “Z-Wave technology enables the HCA industry to move forward at a rapid clip, serving the growing segment of consumers who want the myriad benefits of home control wireless products.â€

According to Zensys, OEM and single source of the Z-Wave chipsets, there are currently 125 companies marketing nearly 150 Z-Wave consumer products and services with more than 300 products expected on the market by year’s end. Zensys’ Z-Wave technology was also the recipient of the recent Wall Street Journal’s 2006 Innovation Awards in the wireless category. For consumers, ZWaveWorld.com is designed to be their one-stop shop for the most comprehensive, informative and collaborative collection of Z-Wave products, services and technical information provided by trusted journalists and industry experts.

Catherine LaCroix, ZWave World’s vice president of content elaborated, “The web site is being developed as the first and only independent news and information source covering Z-Wave home theatre, home lighting, motion sensors and home security and appliance control devices. It will offer product reviews and features, spotlight “killer†applications for the digital home, provide how-to articles, links to popular blogs and local installer listings and community forums for consumers to share tips and exchange ideas.â€

About the HCA Market
The Consumer Electronics Association predicts that the home system controller market will grow to $3.2B by 2009. According to research firm Frost and Sullivan the home automation market will see a 9.8% CAGR from 2006 to 2012 with high-tech heavyweights such as Intel and Cisco throwing their support behind Z-Wave and consumer companies Leviton, Monster Cable, Logitech and Intermatic marketing more Z-Wave HCA products. According to San Diego analyst firm, On World Inc., by 2010 two-thirds of all home automation and control devices will
be wireless.

About ZWave World
ZWaveWorld.com is the only independent website focusing exclusively on the Z-Wave technology offering. It is the one-stop shop for consumers’ information needs about Z-Wave technology and the products and services currently available and in development that are ZWave interoperable and compatible. Geared primarily for consumers of Z-Wave products, ZWaveWorld.com presents news and product reviews, feature articles and “how-to’s†with a
trusted and authoritative voice, leading end-users through the discovery and education process to an informed purchase decision. In addition, ZWaveWorld offers the most vibrant online community of individuals in the Z-Wave ecosystem: consumers, vendors, dealers, VARs and manufacturers and service providers such as installers and contractors. The community is fostered and cultivated by the use of state-of-the-art collaborative and hosted communication tools in order to facilitate a robust exchange of Z-Wave technology views, ideas, tips and hints.

--------------------original post-------------

I was just interviewed by the editor of http://www.ZWaveWorld.com . ZWaveWorld is a new E-Magazine which is being launched at CEDIA on Wednesday. I have requested an dbeen promised a press release kit as soon as it is available. They are finalizing the documents now.

Catherine said:
The intention is to bring news, products, and information to all consumers interested in using Z-Wave based products to automate their homes.

From the sound of the questions they asked me it seems like it will feature more than just z-wave. I think the emphasis will be put on z-wave products but some of the articles will probably be about DIYer setups. I guess we will have to wait to know for sure.

From what I hear the people in charge of this magazine are not amatures. I can't recall the other magazine they produce but they do have the funding and the background to support such an operation. One more day and we will know more.

Micah said:
That's pretty sweet but is there enough happening with Z-Wave to necessitate its own 'zine?
I guess if you cannot come out with products then come out with a magazine. I used to think Zwave and Zigbee would be good technologies but very few products are coming out. Ethernet and Wifi will be so cheap that those other technologies will just be too late. I hope not but I am not so optimistic anymore.

I mean why spend 60 bucks for a light switch with Zwave when you can embed wireless ethernet for less. The whole premise of Zwave and zigbee was low cost and simple. I do not think it is there yet

Tom

Here is the press release as promised. I have edited the first post of this thread with the information

SEE FIRST POST

... ZWave World CEO and a Wired founding publisher Randall Stickrod said, “In a few short years, Z-Wave has become the de facto standard in the home control and automation industry ...

seriously? I would love to know how they came to that conclusion. Not a good sign.

I agree that stament is a little premature electron. However, It i probably seen that way because they people behind the scenes (Z-Wave Alliance) have been so deep into the development of z-wave that they failed to notice how closely their competition is coming.

I have no doubt that z-wave will survive and be successful. They have so many huge players with so much money invested that it woul be really ugly if it did not survive. I don't know if it will be the 'de facto standard' tho. It seems to me that there is no standard right now. Its a huge race and z-wave is not in front but they are also not in last.

P.S. Can you put this up on the main page since it is HA related news?

Squintz,

They have so many huge players with so much money invested that it woul be really ugly if it did not survive.
These "huge" players still haven't released products....

Also, what do you think the live span of Zwave will be now that at least one really hugh player is ditching their zwave plans and go straight to a ZigBee switch??

Yeah, who is ditching? I wonder if information like that will be in ZWaveWorld also?

Hugh
"Hugh is a masculine name. It is teutonic and means "Bright in Mind and Spirit". "

Huge
"unusually great in size or amount or degree or especially extent or scope"

Squintz said:
Here is the press release as promised. I have edited the first post of this thread with the information

SEE FIRST POST
Who cares about a press release. When do we get to read your interview?

George

UPDATE: www.ZwaveWorld.com is now up and running. You can find blurbs of my interview under the ZWave Living section.

I tried to give CQC, HomeSeer,Elk , and CocoonTech some free publicity but it seems that they were all selectively edited out of my responses. However, ControlThink did make it into the article.

I must add that I was in a rush to answer her questions. So my goals that she quotes are not very thought out.

There is an ask an expert section of the site also.

Hugh - "Hugh is a masculine name. It is teutonic and means "Bright in Mind and Spirit". "

Huge - "unusually great in size or amount or degree or especially extent or scope"

Hmmm... My parents should have named me Hugh Huge.

I tried to give CQC, HomeSeer,Elk , and CocoonTech some free publicity but it seems that they were all selectively edited out of my responses. However, ControlThink did make it into the article.

Suprise, suprise.

Back