new project - thermostat

v1rtu0s1ty

Hi folks, I would like to monitor thermostat and I think, it would be a nice project. However, I did some search in our forum and got confused on where to really start. I would like to know the first things I need to do and what devices I need to buy so it can be monitored. Please let me know what I can provide so I can start this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

I've got both of my RCS TR16's connected to my Elk M1G with the Elk M1XSP board and love it. :lol: I can check the temps of both thermostats from the Elk Keypad. Simple rules to adjust temps when arm away mode is activated, and adjust the temps back when I get home and disarm the panel. :p

The Pod

jeffx said:
I use the RCS TR16 thermostat along with the RCS 485PB RS232 to RS485 Converter. This connects to my HA PC via a serial cable/port and is controlled and monitored using HAL2000.
Thanks for the links. I was not aware that it was expensive. :)
Anyways, do I need to add special wiring? I do see a color white wire from the furnace to the keypad. It's a bit hard and solid.

here is my new question. What is the major advantage of having it monitored and rather than using a scheduled timer in the keypad?

I'm moderately content with the Aprilaire. I've noticed frequent (ie, weekly or monthly) dropouts which can be reset by power-cycling the thermostat.

In my 96 yr old house, connecting & controlling via CQC is a must. I suffer from inconvenient cross drafts in the "desired" locations for a thermo. Indeed, it turns up the heat, but the thermo doesn't see it due to the draft so it keeps cranking. But, there's no place without bad drafts that I can put it. The wife flatly refuses to put it in the MBR or KBR for aesthetic reasons. This means that I cannot leave the HVAC on at night.

But, what I can do is have CQC get the temp at 7:15 every am, add 5 degrees to that, set the aprilaire target heat point to that, and put it into heat mode. Then, when it hits a certain temp in a desired room, turn it off entirely.

Turning a thermo on/off is not possible via classic HVAC thermostats.

The biggest advantage of letting the Home Automation Controller (M1) control the thermostat is as your schedule changes the controller will change the thermostat. Example: Arm the security system to the away mode and the HVAC will be adjusted to a non occupied mode. Upon disarming the controller will adjust the temperature to an occupied mode. This allows for maximum energy savings. You can also control the HVAC remotely through the HA controller.

You may have seen the commercial on TV where the kid gets up in the middle of the night to change the thermostat temperature and alarms go off. You can do that too with a HA controller!

I purchased a Proliphix NT20E IP Thermostat about a month ago and have been pretty happy with it. It has pretty much has everything I was looking for... an Auto Mode, web access, and an HA plugin.

Regards,

Brian

bjhotch said:
I purchased a Proliphix NT20E IP Thermostat about a month ago and have been pretty happy with it. It has pretty much has everything I was looking for... an Auto Mode, web access, and an HA plugin.
Hi Brian;

Do you happen to have a link and price? Sounds interesting. B)

Regards,

BSR

Back