New style LED bulbs

There is a need for something like that in fixtures with exposed bulbs. I have a ceiling fan that has small clear glass bulbs that would look terrible with most LED bulbs currently available.

Mike.

The Cree Connected bulbs aren't clear, but they look like a traditional bulb with the exception of some vents in the top and bottom.  Bonus: They're cheap for smart bulbs.

These have actually been around for some time but have never caught on in the US for some reason. They are popular in Europe. They are also very energy efficient.  

AXP lighting sells these in the US. Check Amazon, they sell some.

jeason said:
The Cree Connected bulbs aren't clear, but they look like a traditional bulb with the exception of some vents in the top and bottom.  Bonus: They're cheap for smart bulbs.
I saw these at HD for about $14. They say Zigbee on them. Does anyone know if they can be controlled by an Omni Pro II like most other Zigbee devices, or are they proprietary in some way?

I have been trying these out - they are the real deal. Look just like an incandescent, very similar color, and some even Dim (and dim very well with the new Vera dimmers). They make candelabra lights in this style, which I am thankful for since someone had the bright idea to make all our light fixtures mini lights.

They look cool and are a bit more efficient than conventional LED lights. For example, Cree makes a few 800 lm lights that consume between 8 watts and 11 watts. I just bought one of these with similar specs that uses 7.

I asked others at my company, they analyze the LED lighting market, why they haven't really caught on and they didn't really know. They seem more expensive than conventional types, but I'm guessing its only because lower volumes. They seem like they should be cheaper. The only spec that looked worse than conventional was life which was 25,000 hours. A bit short for an LED bulb.

I ordered some to play with.

jlegault said:
 have been trying these out - they are the real deal. Look just like an incandescent, very similar color, and some even Dim (and dim very well with the new Vera dimmers). They make candelabra lights in this style, which I am thankful for since someone had the bright idea to make all our light fixtures mini lights.

jlegault: Which specific brands/models of the candelabra bulbs have you used? I have quite a few fixtures that need candelabra base lights and have been looking for some decent, dimple LED replacements.

These lights are fantastic.  If you want a US company, AXP Lighting in CA makes them, but they are very popular in China as well. Ebay hats lots of them for same in the $5-$9 range. Watch this life rating though. When these first came out they had life of around 15,000 hours, but the newer ones will go 40K+ hours. Some people also complain that they flicker, but I didn't see any of that in the ones I have.

I'm using these tubular LEDs in my picture lights:

ttT30edisoncollectionbox_large-vi.jpg

I got them at EarthLED.  They are fully dimmable but a bit longer than standard T8 tubular incandescents.  My picture light fixtures are 9" long and they just fit.  Great looking LEDs!

I've been using these filament bulbs in my window candles.
They have fantastic warm color and excellent spherical coverage.

$_12.JPG

I picked a dozen up cheap direct from china (aliexpress).   Generally pretty happy with them.  One weird issue though is I have them controlled by some KPLs and even when the switch is off the lights are actually on but very very dim.  Sort of working out well as dim night light but I have no idea how it's happening.

Most likely due to the KPL and the dim/off function. Very common with "small" loads compared to traditional incandescent.

apnar said:
I picked a dozen up cheap direct from china (aliexpress).   Generally pretty happy with them.  One weird issue though is I have them controlled by some KPLs and even when the switch is off the lights are actually on but very very dim.  Sort of working out well as dim night light but I have no idea how it's happening.
Mine do the same when controlled by a UPB outlet. Those controlled with plug in relays don't.
That tells me there's a slight leakage current in the outlet, proably for the local switch sense.

Back