nextalarm question

v1rtu0s1ty

hey guys, quick question. Can I get a service now from nextalarm even if I still don't have the devices yet? I want to have the certificate that I can fax to my insurance as a proof that I will have it. What do you think guys?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you can only print the certificate once you have activated the service. However, you can hook up a minimal system, send a few test signals, then activate the service.

rfdesq said:
I'm pretty sure that you can only print the certificate once you have activated the service. However, you can hook up a minimal system, send a few test signals, then activate the service.
Are you saying that I won't be able to provide the certificate to my insurance if I don't have the devices yet at home since I won't be able to do the test signals?

Sounds right to me. Otherwise what is stopping others from getting service just to print a certificate? You need the equipment to activate the service and need the service to print the certificate.

Yep, that makes sense now. :) Thanks folks!

EDIT: Assuming I have all the devices: what type of monitoring service should I tell Nextalarm?

I'm not sure of your question. NextAlarm is the monitoring service or CS (Central Station). All you need to do is tell them you have an ELK M1 Gold, you tell them what zones are what and what you want them to do when they receive a CID signal. For example Zone 1 is the Front Door, it is an exterior delay door, when you receive an alarm signal from Zone 1, call the police, call me at work, and send me a text message to my cell phone. Another example, on school days, if little Johnny hasn't disarmed the system by 3:30 p.m. then send me an email, and a text message to my cell phone.

rfdesq said:
Another example, on school days, if little Johnny hasn't disarmed the system by 3:30 p.m. then send me an email, and a text message to my cell phone.
With the M1 and an app like CQC it seems like much of this logic could be handled either by NextAlarm, the M1, or the PC. Are there any best practices for deciding where these rules should be handled?

This is a latchkey kids feature of NextAlarm. My opinion is that since you are paying for it, even though it's only $8 per month, let NextAlarm handle it. NextAlarm does the checking for a disarm signal, if they don't receive it within the time frame you have set, they send the notification. This could also work for the maid, handyman, or employee.

Back