nice kickstarter campaign

Not sure how this:

d25c72f3117b72b3a64820918d11431b_large.png

Is any better than this:

MyQPCK_CW_detail.jpg

Seems to me a solution in search of a problem...

ChrisCicc said:
Not sure how this:

d25c72f3117b72b3a64820918d11431b_large.png

Is any better than this:

MyQPCK_CW_detail.jpg

Seems to me a solution in search of a problem...

I was fascinated by the ability to set up scenarios triggerining actions by remote sensors. the problems relates mainly to energy  saving through automation.

Efried said:
I was fascinated by the ability to set up scenarios triggerining actions by remote sensors. the problems relates mainly to energy  saving through automation.

What types of remote sensors do have access to here but not with other automation systems?

ChrisCicc said:
What types of remote sensors do have access to here but not with other automation systems?

imagine one sensor detecting PV power, and an actor switching the dishwasher on. there are certainly  other systems being capable of doing this. I just like the approach integrating dumb devices. of course, wireless control of thermostats, refrigerators, domestic hot water,and cooking plates etc. would be better exploiting the sensor mesh introducing energy managemenment

I can already do everything this product advertises it does. Remote access, geofencing, status, etc. BTW, I would not allow customers to use the auto close feature. The first time the door closes on a car or a child, your company may be liable for negligence. Since your device has safety implications, is it certified by the appropriate regulatory agencies for the function it provides? Does it support Apple HomeKit? No and No? Good luck with that!

elvisimprsntr - I don't think it's his device - just something he saw on kickstarter.

While I find that the projects usually fall flat on the control side because of a lack of integration, they do have an interesting concept in the learning piece that can learn from the sounds of your existing dryer alarm or things like that.  It's a much simpler concept to just listen for the end-of-load chime on the dryer than to put a CT Clamp around a modified dryer cord then tying that to a sensor that's integrated into your security panel. 

Sadly there's a strong likelihood this will be like most automation kickstarter projects that die and never go anywhere... but maybe they'll be successful and someone will buy them out - and integrate them into something larger that can now actually act on the knowledge that they give you access to.  Or while most of us here are anti cloud-based-control, just integration with IFTTT and WeMo and some of those options could give a tinkerer a lot of fun things they could do without getting into any real hardware.

Maybe not his product, but maybe a sponsor.  

Nonetheless, like most clothes washers, mine has an extra rinse cycle which the buzzer sounds between cycles.  
I have a Brultech energy monitor which has multiple CT clamps.   Since most, if not all, high energy loads have dedicated breakers, one could simply monitor the load and send a notification/alert if something is out of the ordinary.  I currently don't do this with my Brultech.  

There is a point of diminishing returns (time and expense) in home automation.  The more monitoring/automation devices one adds to their home, the more parasitic loads are using electricity.  I justify what I already have implemented as security and convience.  My neighbors have mentioned they never know when I am on business or vacation travel, my security system automatically arm/disarms and operates my garage door when a leave/arrive home, remote access to let contractors in to perform service while at work, which I can keep an eye on them with cameras.  

elvisimprsntr said:
There is a point of diminishing returns (time and expense) in home automation.  The more monitoring/automation devices one adds to their home, the more parasitic loads are using electricity. 
 This is very true. I plan to get rid of the glow lamps embedded in my switchable multiple socket outlets (one switch per socket) saving on energy.  Then the µC should consume less tan 100 mA at 3.3 V having deep sleep for the WLAN part too...
My main application would be identifying unusual loads for whatever reason.

I find it interesting how they see when the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarms go off. It listens (literally) for a high frequency beep. This is a cool idea especially since the Nest alarms just got a blow (honestly, that wave feature will always have some problem).

I'm not sure about the garage door thing though. I wish they would realize how easy it is to plug a device into a garage door. It is literally two wires on easy screw terminals. And then you don't have to hide your garage door opener in this thing (i.e. continue to use the clicker). I'm thinking about rigging my own garage door with a Raspberry Pi, a relay, Ethernet, and either micro switches (spring-loaded button) or reed switches (magnetic sensors).

Back