No more Elk Firmware updates for CADDX Users

wuench

I just noticed this in the latest ELK release notes:

July 9, 2012 - SUNSET of support for Caddx firmware version (M1 Firmware 4.6.8)
Announcing the Sunset (end of updates) of support for the M1 firmware 4.x.x versions. The 4.x.x range of firmware supported
the Caddx Networx “NX” branded wireless receiver. 4.6.8 was the last and final version of this firmware. Customers wishing
to benefit from any new features and/or fixes are encouraged to replace their Caddx branded wireless receiver with an ELKM1XRFEG
Wireless Receiver (GE compatible). Doing this will enable the M1 control to be updated to firmware version 5.x.x
which will continue to be supported with future firmware updates.

So I guess that means my daylight savings time will forever be screwed up unless I fork out $$$ for a new wireless receiver. I'll tell you what ELK, if I fork out money it may just be for an Omnipro! This is total B.S.....

Seems a bit harsh... Lets think about this...

If you had any other 5yr old panel, you'd likely have the same DST issues, because they would've been manufactured before the time change happened.

The Caddx receiver is a 3-generation old solution; there have since been two other and better ways to interface GE wireless transmitters into the Elk with their own hardware rather than an interface to someone else's hardware (which is risky anyways since they have no control over it).

A $100 receiver is not all that awful to swallow - it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing your whole system (and can an Omni use GE transmitters, or would you have to switch to all HAI?).

Elk probably needed to save some firmware memory for other features and upgrades... no reason to keep support for 5 different wireless receivers on the same board.

How long should a company reasonably support old devices?

Yeah, it's harsh, but think about it this way. I go out and buy their receiver, now I have a good possibility of sensors not working, range issues, who knows what, that's my primary concern. I have a working system right now and Elk has had 2-3 years of firmware upgrades to get the stupid DST settings right. I can live without new features, but not fixing a bug they have known about for 3 years is a whole different deal. They can't get a programmer to stuff that fix in some code and roll it out, it's ridiculous.

Admittedly going wireless was just dumb on my part, you have to deal with batteries, bad stock, discontinued sensors, and now a discontinued receiver. For people considering doing a new system I would highly recommend staying away from wireless at all costs. And this is a big ding on Elk's support in my book, consider HAI vs. Elk carefully....

Yes, the DST issue is inexcusable and should be updated, and I'd love my "flashing" keypad to be addressed in a firmware, but Elk seems to be pretty slow in getting firmware out there, and as they state, typically as a needed basis, to correspond to a hardware or larger issue at hand. Part of me is happy Elk doesn't have a firmware of the day like a few other companies I know of.

IMHO, the Caddx receiver was a band-aid to the panel when they were bringing the product to market (anyone remember the 3 panels they released at the time?) to support RF and buy time while they were engineering their own solution...hell, HAI's wireless option(s) are horrendous.

Actually, besides the cost outlay for swapping out a receiver, which for the old GE 548E and housing, was around $50 at the last time I bought one vs the $100 for the Elk unit (a net final cost of $150 if you factor in the 548E on top of that),a positive spin is their new receiver supports more hardware, since the 548E would only support crystal, where the new Elk unit supports crystal and SAW. I haven't run across a unit the Elk receiver doesn't support.

The Elk receiver actually performs better than the GE unit by leaps and bounds. Look at the specs in detail.

I do, however applaud Elk in offering 2 major platforms of RF, GE and Honeywell (I'd love for some support on the bidirectional Honeywell devices and a RF keypad option) but a huge mistake IMO would be dropping that flexibility and strictly persuing their own platform, since it will severely limit options and flexibilty, both for new installs, as well as takeover/changeouts. While Elk's new RF platform looks nice, the offerings just aren't there, and where I think it'd shine is the bidirectional aspect of using a keyfob and confirmation without having any other hardware installed. On paper their selling points for Elk RF looks nice, but it's just not there for 9/10 install projects that a pro would be asked to install or compete with.

Seems like this isn't the only issue that has you heated... I personally haven't minded wireless, other than the cost. I've only replaced 2 batteries so far in two years, and performance has been great - even when used for automation.

Elk really should release one last firmware though with the DST issues fixed for people who do have the old Caddx receiver; but either way upgrading one single component after what - 6+ years? doesn't seem horrible to me. Either that, or leave the system as it was installed, which is what most people do with security systems. It's tough to get the best of both worlds.

I feel the same way as Work in this case...with the exception being it'd be nice if they fixed it, and yes, the seeming lack of support stinks, but upgrading isn't that bad, unless the receiver is remote mounted and you don't have enough conductors run (I have a client's install like this). The net result, however, is a more robust system without a huge outlay in cost to swap the receiver.

Most other manufacturers don't have flash updating of hardware or require a chipset replacement to support new features or hardware.

I appreciate the fact that Elk needed to 'End of Life' (the other EOL) a particular code-line and support of a (seemingly) old/legacy peripheral device.

Many years ago, my company didn't understand term 'End of Life'. They attempted to maintain many old code-lines in support of the existing customer base (to keep everyone happy). This quickly became unwieldy and expensive. It's unfortunate, but device/system support needs to move-on.

Back